Marchwood Yacht Club

anniebray

Visit site
Please allow me to promote my club, we are one of the best on the South Coast ! Currently we have membership vacancies. We prefer candidates who live close enough to take part in our social activities and volunteer help. We are situated (SO40 4AD) on the West bank at the top of Southampton Water, close to the Container and Cruise Ship Port and almost within the New Forest with easy access to M27 & M3. We are non-commercial and own the freehold of our premises which includes Club House, Restaurant, Bar (beer from £2 !), walk ashore pontoons, and Boat Yard (capacity 180, max 40ft). We are well equipped including 14ton Wyse lifting rig, fork truck, HD pressure washer, work boat etc. Our own volunteer workforce is currently constructing a 10m Barge (from sheet metal) equipped with Hiab, winch, and anchoring "spuds" to service our moorings. The Club motto is "if it needs doing, do it !" and so almost all of our works are carried out by Club members (nb we are not a slave labour camp !!). This allows us to keep costs down to a fraction of marina charges. For example : family membership + mooring + Winter storage + launch/recovery for a 10m yacht is £1270. For more information please visit our website www.marchwoodyc.org.uk or send me a PM, I live nearby.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Please allow me to promote my club, we are one of the best on the South Coast ! Currently we have membership vacancies. We prefer candidates who live close enough to take part in our social activities and volunteer help. We are situated (SO40 4AD) on the West bank at the top of Southampton Water, close to the Container and Cruise Ship Port and almost within the New Forest with easy access to M27 & M3. We are non-commercial and own the freehold of our premises which includes Club House, Restaurant, Bar (beer from £2 !), walk ashore pontoons, and Boat Yard (capacity 180, max 40ft). We are well equipped including 14ton Wyse lifting rig, fork truck, HD pressure washer, work boat etc. Our own volunteer workforce is currently constructing a 10m Barge (from sheet metal) equipped with Hiab, winch, and anchoring "spuds" to service our moorings. The Club motto is "if it needs doing, do it !" and so almost all of our works are carried out by Club members (nb we are not a slave labour camp !!). This allows us to keep costs down to a fraction of marina charges. For example : family membership + mooring + Winter storage + launch/recovery for a 10m yacht is £1270. For more information please visit our website www.marchwoodyc.org.uk or send me a PM, I live nearby.
Its good to hear about Marchwood Yacht Club which I was a member until three years ago before I moved house and therefore club. We had great time in Marchwood YC, great annual events, access to the Solent, great clubhouse and friendly yachties. We have missed it.

Tomaret

Visit site
Is an hour away too far?

anniebray

Visit site
Hi Captain Fantastic, good to hear from you & thanks for your support. We'll look forward to your return !

Hi Tomaret, No one hour is not necessarily too far, it's more about being part of the club rather than treating it as just a cheap marina. Thanks for your interest.

matt1

Visit site
Really great club, fantastically run and very professional. Very good facilities. I only left as my new boat was a few cm over the 40’ limit

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I'm not a member, however I would add that they organise RYA courses at non-commercial rates; I did Ocean Theory there, when a member dropped out at short notice.
The facilities are excellent, the members friendly and enthusiastic, and the bar is indeed cheap:)

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I remember Marchwood as a MOD facility where the Royal Fleet Auxiliary used to dock. This was back when I was a deck officer with the RFA 1978 through to 83. Is that the same place? Lovely location and so convenient for Southampton.

anniebray

Visit site
I remember Marchwood as a MOD facility where the Royal Fleet Auxiliary used to dock. This was back when I was a deck officer with the RFA 1978 through to 83. Is that the same place? Lovely location and so convenient for Southampton.
You are referring to Marchwood Military Port which is still operating. Built in 1943 to aid D-Day landings and later used during Falklands War. Marchwood YC premises just 1m upstream of MMP were built in 1865-7 to store Gunpowder. There used to be a jetty with Brass trolley rails leading up to the Receiving Rooms (still in existence used by us for storage). Our premises were once the largest MOD gunpowder store in England.

Bobc

Visit site
Great club. Went there with the Bavaria Owners Association a couple of years back.

I recommend it to others.

wombat88

Visit site
We were members when the Falklands conflict began, seems a very long time ago now.

It was a good club then and I'm sure is great now having looked around a couple of years ago. Excellent and interesting location, still looks excellent value!

Bajansailor

Visit site
I used to crew for some friends at Marchwood on their boats, both called Maybee, in the late 80's / early 90's (they were a GK 24 and an Impala) - and I can attest that the Wednesday evening racing in the summer was excellent, along with the weekend races, and the bar could not be faulted re their range of beer (at very reasonable prices).

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Sounds very similar to NUSC where Captian F and I sail from, once all this settles I may pop down for a visit as we have friends in the Minstead. Too far for me to join though but who if the Wife ever gives in on us moving down South you never know ;).

Strikeliner

Visit site
I am not a member but have visited the club on a few occasions. I also have friends who were members.
It is a great club with a truly wonderful atmospheric club building.

anniebray

Visit site

I am pleased to report that we officially launched our new self built moorings barge last Tuesday and it is now busily employed checking our moorings in Southampton Water. It cost us £40,000 to build using our own free labour and secondhand machinery but estimated cost of build by a shipbuilder would be £300,000 minimum. Previously we hired a Williams barge for a prebooked 2 week period usually in February and supplying our own labour for a cost of £15,000 . So payback time will be just 3 yrs and we will be able to make use of it at a time convenient to us avoiding inclement weather.

tat27

Visit site
hi Annie, I am "boatless" at the moment but an experienced inshore racer, 35 minutes away by car (according to Mr Google). Do owners ever require crew for the Wednesday racing ?