Making new cabin table

prv

Visit site
You want to watch out, or I'll have to post pics of the sliding, opening, Yeoman-embedded chart table I've been manufacturing out of sapele :D Looks slightly less like fine furniture now that I've covered the four coats of glossy Epifanes with two of rubbed-effect :)

Got a saloon table project on the cards too, but that's on the back burner till all the tasks that keep the boat out of the water are done.

Pete

Amulet

www.flickr.com
You want to watch out, or I'll have to post pics of the sliding, opening, Yeoman-embedded chart table I've been manufacturing out of sapele :D Looks slightly less like fine furniture now that I've covered the four coats of glossy Epifanes with two of rubbed-effect :)

Got a saloon table project on the cards too, but that's on the back burner till all the tasks that keep the boat out of the water are done.

Pete
I'd be delighted to see them. Dunno about the rest of the forum. That is utile that mine's made of by the way. I find it nicer to work with than sapele.

prv

Visit site
I'd be delighted to see them.

I think the most interesting bits were before I glued it up, and I didn't take any photos. It has the Yeoman mat inside it in such a way that it could be removed and replaced (with a bit of fiddling) at some later date if necessary, but the whole thing appears to be a solid slab because I have very little height to play with. It also slides bodily aft on stainless drawer runners (rated to 180kg because some bugger's bound to lean on it, though I question whether the fibreglas structure it's attached to is up to it even with ply reinforcement epoxied in). It slides because on my 24' boat the chart table is also the only galley surface, and it has the fridge and sink underneath it. The old one hinged up, which was a pain in the arse if you had all your cooking stuff laid out on it and then realised you needed something from the fridge :mad:. Now you can slide it aft even before starting cooking, and gain extra worktop from the surface underneath it as well.

I'll take a couple of pics when it's installed.

Pete

Baddox

Visit site
That’s a neat job on a lovely piece of wood. Are you going to router a gentle radius on the table edges or is it just me that cannot help doing that to any square corners? :) What are you planning to finish it with?

Amulet

www.flickr.com
That’s a neat job on a lovely piece of wood. Are you going to router a gentle radius on the table edges or is it just me that cannot help doing that to any square corners? :) What are you planning to finish it with?
Thinking of a 3mm radius on the edges and about 10mm on the corners - not decided yet.
I'll probably finish it in a horribly untraditional way, with something heat resistant like polyurethane as it's bound to get hot items plonked on it.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Thinking of a 3mm radius on the edges and about 10mm on the corners - not decided yet.
I'll probably finish it in a horribly untraditional way, with something heat resistant like polyurethane as it's bound to get hot items plonked on it.

I reveneered mine in a matt white formica. Just about bullet proof and lightens up the interior nicely.