made to measure flexible water tanks

pmorris

Visit site
I have storage compartment under the quarter berth which is so long and shallow, it's not of much use. I think it would hold about 15 galls of water and have been told, because, it is enclosed on all sides I could have a single skin flexible tank made to fit.
I wondered whether this was a good idea and if anybody knew of a good supplier.
Also has anyone bought these water treatment ceramic balls and what do they think of them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anthony

Visit site
I have one under each berth in the saloon, 10 and 17 gallons, installed by previous owner. The receipt shows they cost £307 total inc, from Seaflex.

I have seen much cheaper ones in stadard sizes, not sure how their quality compares.

Have performed ok so far, believe they are now 10 years old.

That said I was just this very minute thinking about replaicing them and building fiberglass tank to fit exactly. Altough these flxible ones were built to fit, there are some areas where I gould get alot more storage but would involve a complex shape, too complex for flexible tanks (it would be all joins!), but should be quite easy to lay up a grp tank to fit inside the entire area.

Anyone any experience of how to finish it inside? I guess building a wooden plug then moulding over it could give me a nice gelcoat finish inside, but then I am back to trying to build a plug to fit around the complex shape of the interior mouldings. Any paints / sealents that could be applied, perhaps even just paint gelgoat onto the grp inside or f a grp tank made in place?

Anthony

<hr width=100% size=1>The difference between men and boys, is just the price of their toys...

HeadMistress

Visit site
Both of you should get a quote from Tek-Tank for custom rigid plastic tanks before either going with a bladder or building a FG tank. I have no idea how their prices compare with a good quality bladder, but if competitive, you'll likely end up with more capacity.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

Gordonmc

Visit site
The standard flexible tank under a port berth bust a seam a couple of weeks ago and I replaced with the same item from Plastimo at a total cost of under £70. This is for a double-skin job.
The big advantage is they can be taken out for cleaning and it won't break the budget to replace if the mank gets out of control. I poke a pressure hose into an orifice and blast out the gunk.
The old tank had been in the boat for 20+ years.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LeonF

Visit site
Dura Tanks make custom Flexi tanks. My Plastimo flexible sprung a couple of small leaks and I considered getting a custom made tank but opted for a replacement Plastimo instead. You can get a replacement inner for half the price, but this is not widely advertised.

<hr width=100% size=1>L.A.R.Ferguson