Lugger won't tack

Sturgess

Visit site
Hi Simon
do you still have your Tosher?
i sail a 18 foot Tosher and would like to chat about your lugger rig.
kim

I'm feeling frustrated and confused!

I have a Mevagissey Tosher. She's 18ft with a dipping lugsail up front and a standing lugsail on the mizzen. This is my second season with her, although I only got her towards the end of last season so we didn't have much time together before she came out for the winter. I've never sailed, let alone owned a lug sail before buying this boat. I have sailed many gaffers before but the lugger is a new sail plan for me so I'm learning as I go.

I can get her sailing nicely on all points of sail, gybing is fine and I can balance her nicely with the mizzen. My problem is tacking, she just doesn't like going through the wind. She will point about 30 degrees off the wind at best, I'll gather speed, enter the tack and then she'll stall and I'll be in irons :(

This happens in all but light winds and the flattest of seas where the is nothing to resist her, then she will just about making it round.

I have considered adding a jim so she has a bit more power. I could also back it when taking.

I wandered if when I bought her she wasn't set up right and as I'd never sailed a lugger before I didn't notice?

Any ideas or suggestions would be very gratefully received as I'm getting very frustrated.

regards

Simon

ontheplane

Visit site
Surely if it won’t tack it can’t be the aft Thribbly at fault. He needs to check both port and Stbd. Snurble Grips, the problem lies there for sure.

Hurricane

Visit site
I know this is a very old thread but I do sympathise with the OP.
And you lot are all making fun of him.

Sailing catamarans have exactly this problem going through the wind.
The solution comes with experience.
You have to bear off - gain some speed and then sail through the wind using a deliberate slow and positave move.
Sailing round a curve rather than tacking in a quck change of direction.
Once through the wind, you keep bearing off until the speed picks up again until you can resume a good close hauled course on the new tack.

Do you all understand the technique?

ontheplane

Visit site
I know this is a very old thread but I do sympathise with the OP.
And you lot are all making fun of him.

Sailing catamarans have exactly this problem going through the wind.
The solution comes with experience.
You have to bear off - gain some speed and then sail through the wind using a deliberate slow and positave move.
Sailing round a curve rather than tacking in a quck change of direction.
Once through the wind, you keep bearing off until the speed picks up again until you can resume a good close hauled course on the new tack.

Do you all understand the technique?

I think so, but surely on a proper boat you just turn the wheel till the pointy bit points wher you want to go.........?

Just teasing

Happy Christmas to you all