LochAline - suitable for winter afloat?

Minerva

Visit site
We’ve sailed on the west coast for a number of years and during the summer season, always considered Lochaline a bit of a refuge bolt hole during summer storms. Well surrounded by trees, shallow, good holding and no real fetch from any direction. Also a Brucey bonus that it’s a very peaceful place to spend a couple of days on anchor.

I’ve heard through the grape vine that I should be able to get a mooring there too if I wished.

We already own a mooring nearer Oban in Kerrera sound which is more convenient / an hours less drive from home for summer, but not insurable over winter.

After getting the latest winter ashore renewal price for the boat yard we’ve used the last few years, I’m somewhat tempted to keep my boat afloat on a mooring in Lochaline for winter (granted somewhat timing dependant for this winter). I think at new prices. one winter ashore will be broadly equivalent to having a new mooring dropped…

So question being before I bother the insurance co, would you keep a boat ashore in Lochaline, a 4hour drive from home with no oversight through a Scottish winter season?

Aja

Visit site
Just been at anchor there for the past couple of nights. Thinking that the moorings at the head of the Loch might be a tad more exposed than the moorings opposite the ferry terminal.

I know of one boat that was kept on the moorings at the head of the Loch permanently for a couple of years. Can't confirm if it was insured.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Every time it's blowing I would lie awake fretting.

dunedin

Visit site
It’s probably as good a place as any to keep a boat on a mooring. BUT I personally wouldn’t winter a boat on a mooring 4 hours away from home. Even in a secure marina there are generally 3-4 severe winter gales each year that make me want to drive over and check the boat after.
Rather than winter ashore, are there not options to winter afloat in places like Kerrera, Craobh or similar - get some winter sailing and avoid the wasted effort of decommission / recommission.

Shuggy

Visit site
I’ve been in Lochaline in the summer during a southerly gale where I had all 80 metres of 10mm chain out and was still pretty nervous. So it would be a big fat no from me! I was in the anchorage on the west side, south of the marked spit.

ylop

Visit site
If you are going to keep her afloat are you going to use her - and is 4hr drive, winter ferry timetables and short days going to work for your style of sailing? Or would it be better moved somewhere more convenient?

noelex

Visit site
We spent some time anchored in Loch Aline in winter during Covid lockdown. It is a very secure spot although in one named storm the winds were over 80 knots.

The holding is good and I don’t think any of the moored boats suffered damage despite the poor conditions (we were the only anchored boat).

There is a great local community that was very supportive of us during the challenges of Covid, but it is a reasonably remote village so transport and access to the boat needs to be considered.

Minerva

Visit site
We spent some time anchored in Loch Aline in winter during Covid lockdown. It is a very secure spot although in one named storm the winds were over 80 knots.

The holding is good and I don’t think any of the moored boats suffered damage despite the poor conditions (we were the only anchored boat).

There is a great local community that was very supportive of us during the challenges of Covid, but it is a reasonably remote village so transport and access to the boat needs to be considered.
Thanks Noelex - was there many boats on moorings through the winter?

Minerva

Visit site
If you are going to keep her afloat are you going to use her - and is 4hr drive, winter ferry timetables and short days going to work for your style of sailing? Or would it be better moved somewhere more convenient?
Well that's the million pound question. I have lovely images of crisp day sails with a snowy anchorages with the heater going full pelt and the oil lamps lit. Reality may be somewhat different.

noelex

Visit site
Thanks Noelex - was there many boats on moorings through the winter?
There was about half a dozen boats on moorings (we were the only boat at anchor), but with covid it was strange times.

We would normally have been moving around and exploring other anchorages rather than spending time in one spot. I suspect some of the owners with boats on moorings were not permitted travel or move their boat.

I forgot to mention it is a beautiful part of the world, especially over winter.
55A5E9D7-EB8A-458D-976A-070C5FF7A246.jpeg

steve yates

Visit site
It’s probably as good a place as any to keep a boat on a mooring. BUT I personally wouldn’t winter a boat on a mooring 4 hours away from home. Even in a secure marina there are generally 3-4 severe winter gales each year that make me want to drive over and check the boat after.
Rather than winter ashore, are there not options to winter afloat in places like Kerrera, Craobh or similar - get some winter sailing and avoid the wasted effort of decommission / recommission.
But whatwould you do if youdrove over and your boat had a problem on its mooring while its blowing F9? Your not going to be able to get to it.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I would take the boat out. Insurance normally requires it and a yard is cheaper than a marina. I would only think about keeping a boat in the water if I was quite close and could pop down and check often.

dunedin

Visit site
I would take the boat out. Insurance normally requires it and a yard is cheaper than a marina. I would only think about keeping a boat in the water if I was quite close and could pop down and check often.
Ashore is not always cheaper than afloat in a marina over winter. And if can make use of a boat for day sails etc, a LOT less work keeping a boat in commission and, IMHO, things generally prefer being used once a month than left for 6 months.
But definitely a well sheltered pontoon for winter would be my preference over a remote mooring.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I kept a boat on pontoon over winter for many years and the wear and tear was enormous compared to the summer months. That said it was a wooden boat with varnish here and there and everywhere. The fenders rubbed, the varnish peeled and during storms the pontoon could try and ride up. The warps chaffed etc. We did get to go on some nice sails on beautiful calm winter days but my preference would be to get her out. I suspect a larger plastic boat would fare better but still, as you say, should be close to home to get checked. All the pontoons I have looked at, although they have better winter rates, are more expensive than storing ashore. That may just be the economics of my area.

B27

Visit site
Whether a location is suitable for a winter afloat will be hugely influenced by insurance.
In our river, you can get affordablecover for 12 months for a yacht, but not for a RIB or dory type powerboat.

If you want the winter afloat, sometimes marinas do good deals, because many of their resident boats come out.

Ashore is not always cheaper than afloat in a marina over winter. And if can make use of a boat for day sails etc, a LOT less work keeping a boat in commission and, IMHO, things generally prefer being used once a month than left for 6 months.
But definitely a well sheltered pontoon for winter would be my preference over a remote mooring.
When I've had boats in the water in the winter, if it's on a mooring, it's really good to have friend with a RIB who will check it.
Sometimes you need to check it over or secure things between gales on a Tuesday or something, it's not always compatible with working miles away.
I kept a boat on pontoon over winter for many years and the wear and tear was enormous compared to the summer months. That said it was a wooden boat with varnish here and there and everywhere. The fenders rubbed, the varnish peeled and during storms the pontoon could try and ride up. The warps chaffed etc. We did get to go on some nice sails on beautiful calm winter days but my preference would be to get her out. I suspect a larger plastic boat would fare better but still, as you say, should be close to home to get checked. All the pontoons I have looked at, although they have better winter rates, are more expensive than storing ashore. That may just be the economics of my area.
A swinging mooring is very often much less wear and tear, with the boat pointing into the weather.
Once the pontoons start moving, it can quickly get expensive on lines and demanding on fenders.

dunedin

Visit site
Definitely needs to be a sheltered pontoon - many are not in all weathers, including some well known marinas. But also helps if blown off the pontoon in SW gales, so fenders not doing any work.

Minerva

Visit site
Sometimes you need to check it over or secure things between gales on a Tuesday or something, it's not always compatible with working miles away.
I work from home 85% of the time, It should be easy enough to drive up on say a Tues after work, stay over and do day job from the boat on the Wed, then drive home after work. Lochaline has I think acceptably good 4g internet to allow this.

A swinging mooring is very often much less wear and tear, with the boat pointing into the weather.

This was also my thinking - new mooring, chain strop over the bow roller, fairly sheltered location (in West Coast terms), and roller Genoa off.. seems fairly low stress on the boat as these things go.

I've often thought winter storage was quite expensive for what is an oversized car park served with a portaloo in an otherwise uneconomic bit of land, but with renewal quotes coming in at >£2k for winter now has got me thinking more proactively about alternates.

ylop

Visit site
I've often thought winter storage was quite expensive for what is an oversized car park served with a portaloo in an otherwise uneconomic bit of land, but with renewal quotes coming in at >£2k for winter now has got me thinking more proactively about alternates.
Craobh Haven is 157/m in the water over winter and 201/m out the water (including lift but not including cradle). There are cheaper places to store ashore, but when you look at those sort of numbers if you can get away with only taking of out every second year it’s attractive.

dunedin

Visit site
Wow, what size of boat is that to be >£2k for a winter ashore? Even Largs on the Clyde would be under £2k for an 11m boat ashore.

Minerva

Visit site
Wow, what size of boat is that to be >£2k for a winter ashore? Even Largs on the Clyde would be under £2k for an 11m boat ashore.
10m although likely to upgrade to 12m-ish very soon as family expanding.

Place we’ve used the last few years is only £130 p/m for lift/6 mo ashore/launch but new charge of a £35 per week cradle hire adds on a extra £1k..