Liveaboard in Beaucette Marina Guernsey

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
I'm very tentatively looking at the feasibility of my partner and I living aboard in Guernsey when we move back to the island later this year. House prices being what they are in the island (astronomical) living on the water appears to offer a more affordable option and means I could continue to run my own business rather than having to go back to work for others in order to afford a mortgage/rent.

I'm a Day Skipper working towards my YM and have been sailing/spending extended time on boats since I could toddle so the mechanics and reality of living aboard don't bother me. I've also worked offshore on survey vessels month on/month off for a couple of years and been more than happy living in that situation. My partner has spent a lot of time living in tents out of a bag while in the military and is building up his sailing experience at the moment. We were considering buying a boat for weekend sailing anyway, we would however be buying a much larger boat if we intend to liveaboard as well.

I am however still weighing up the pros and cons. The main con being that we have a fairly large dog (German Shepherd) and I'm not convinced about putting him on a small boat (we're looking at 35-40ft), although he's travelled on the inter island ferries and boats before it would be a bit different if we're living on board a smaller boat for the long term. However, I know there are some great dog walks around the north of the island that are accessible from the marina and he is an older dog now so calm and spends his days snoozing rather than racing around. In terms of sailing we'd probably only do day sails to Herm/Sark with him on board and would leave him with my family if we wanted to do any extended cruising.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of living aboard or spending an extended time in Beaucette and can tell me what the marina is like and whether it is dog friendly or not. I enquired with the marina and while they're currently full they said spaces do come up fairly regularly and that they accept pets, but accepting pets and being welcoming towards them is a bit different. Anything we should be aware of if we plan to live there long term?

More broadly any comments on living aboard with a dog (good or bad) are also welcome.

Are we nuts to be considering this and should we just suck it up and spend the rest of our life paying off the hefty mortgage while weekend sailing?

PlanB

Visit site
No experience of Guernsey, but plenty of people manage to live quite happily on a 40 footer.
The main problem with your dog is getting him up and down the companionway, unless you want him to live in the cockpit.

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
Assuming you can get away with living there, how about a motor sailer - more voluminous & with a wheelhouse so more space for length & good in winter....

We are considering a motor sailer (although my racing bow(wo)man brain hates me for it), additional benefit is that they tend to have shallow companion ways which is easier for the pooch to navigate. Definitely something to consider.

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
No experience of Guernsey, but plenty of people manage to live quite happily on a 40 footer.
The main problem with your dog is getting him up and down the companionway, unless you want him to live in the cockpit.
Yes the companion way is an issue, in addition to all of the usual seakeeping qualities I'm also on the lookout for something that has relatively wide/shallow companionway steps or enough space that we can McGyver a set of wider pop up steps in the saloon. Because yacht shopping wasn't hard enough...

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
I lived there for a while way back in 2001/2 but on a 44 footer. It didn't appear to be restricted back then but could well have changed now. I found it quite pleasant but can be interesting to get into,
I did also have a car though too, it's a bit isolated ( in so far as anything on Guernsey can be)

I'll be honest the entrance is slightly terrifying, I've done it once before on a motorboat. I assume its hairy in anything other than benign conditions.

Weirdly one of the benefits of living at the marina would be that we would have somewhere to park. If we look at what we can afford housing wise in the island it wouldn't come with parking, we'd probably not have a garden and it would be not that much bigger than a boat anyway!

Arcady

Visit site
Are you a Guernsey person? I think beaucette is now considered local market, so non Guernsey people are no longer able to live aboard.

I believe that is correct. My understanding of the current regulations is that previous non-local liveaboards are allowed to remain, but any new arrivals wishing to live aboard permanently must have local market status.

OrmerPuffin

Visit site
Don't worry about the companionway, I'm surprised you are questioning the ability of a GSD. We had our GSD on the boat for 8 years and she handled everything just fine, in fact she could get into the cockpit quicker than me.;)

That's reassuring! Our GSD is a bit stiff in the hips but provided we keep the weight off him he should be ok. Our current stairs at home are the very steep middle of the house Victorian type and he gets up them just fine. I have a habit of falling down them though so maybe should be more concerned about my own mobility than his!

Bajansailor

Visit site
Have you considered the possibility of living on board a catamaran?
It might be easier to find a berth for one of the narrower older designs, rather than one where the beam is typically about half the length (or more even).
And cats have the advantage of the bridgedeck saloon being on the same level as the cockpit.