Liveaboad instead of house - Yes or no

Solo.Sally

Visit site
I've been living on boats for over 40 years and nothing would induce me to live in a house. Personally, I think the big mistake most people make these days, is to bring all their shoreside (so-called) "comforts" onto a boat. Complexity does not equal comfort and most people ashore do not, hands-on maintain every part of their house themselves: their comforts afloat, end up being a lot of work.

I suggest completely embracing the fact that living on a boat is an entirely different way of life. Anticipate that you can pretty much forget about what is generally considered to be comfort; instead, enjoy the new opportunities and experiences and, (assuming you make what I would suggest is the sensible choice) enjoy the freedom that a small and simple boat will bring you.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Looking for the wisdom and honest input from this group. I'm at a point in my life where there kids are almost all gone and am looking for where next. I could buy a house somewhere nice but I figure I might end up looking at 4 walls for most of the time. My alternate idea is to buy a boat (again) and live on board. This would be in the med or the Caribbean (not sure yet) and fortunately I won't need to work - I can afford a large boat so will have all the nice extras to make it very comfortable.

This would be full time, winter and summer. The idea is that it would also serve as a family holiday home and the kids would get use out of it as well.

Question is - would you do it? We all know the high points - warm climates, 15 knot breeze and a flat sea. What are downfalls, the negatives? I realize I would end up in one place in the Summer until the next visit from friends and family, and then move on.

Nobody else can answer this question for you. We lived full-time on a boat in the Med for 12 years. Then we sold up and moved ashore in Crete. I'm glad we did it and lived that life but I would not go back to living on a boat again now. It's way too expensive for one thing!

Wansworth

Visit site
I've been living on boats for over 40 years and nothing would induce me to live in a house. Personally, I think the big mistake most people make these days, is to bring all their shoreside (so-called) "comforts" onto a boat. Complexity does not equal comfort and most people ashore do not, hands-on maintain every part of their house themselves: their comforts afloat, end up being a lot of work.

I suggest completely embracing the fact that living on a boat is an entirely different way of life. Anticipate that you can pretty much forget about what is generally considered to be comfort; instead, enjoy the new opportunities and experiences and, (assuming you make what I would suggest is the sensible choice) enjoy the freedom that a small and simple boat will bring you.
That’s about it but it seems the measure is How house like can you make a Boat!

kof

Visit site
Good to hear. So the boat I am getting already has all the mod-cons. It's fully loaded and I wouldn't change that. I'm not a believer in sailing or cruising having to be a huge compromise when we have the gear and equipment to make it very comfortable. Yes it needs more maintenance but I don't mind doing a lot of that. When I can't do it or get the time, I don't mind paying for it.

That said I'm looking forward to the change, the focus on very different things and a more relaxed life.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
> It will be a new or almost new boat, so maintenance would be lower

Everything on a boat except the electrical kit will break more than once it is made for weekend and holiday sailors. I spent at least one week a day when long distance either doing maintenance or fixing something which happens more often. I carried two spares for everything, exploded diagrams so you know how to take things apart and put back together, also a wide ranging set of tools is needed including ring and open spanners. The longest I went without fixing something was a month in the Venezuelan out islands then when arrived in Bonaire on the first day three things broke.

goeasy123

Visit site
Kof, I was in a similar position to you. Difference was... Late 50's, no sailing experience and a wife prone to seasickness. We went on a flotilla holiday in Greece three years ago. We're now liveaboards. We'll do it until it's not pleasurable anymore. We have a boat with all the mod cons. The adult kids are not interested in coming to see us. We have a better social life than we did on land. I quite like the maintenance side of things.

The first season we only got as far as Rochefort (from Lymington). We learned to speak French, met and made really interesting friends from all walks for life, absorbed the local culture and experienced some amazing scenery and entertainment.

It sounds like you might have the financial freedom to capitalize on the Portuguese Non Habitual Residency scheme. I.e. pay zero tax. Have you considered this?

kof

Visit site
Andy
Sound good. We've decided to go ahead. Plan is to skip the med this year and go direct to the Caribbean and probably spend two seasons there (using Grenada for the Hurricane season). We might even do a couple of the ragattas while were there. Then bring it back to the med the following year.

Already looking forward to it and getting the endless lists compiled. that's the fun part.

I know about Portugal but not an issue for me at this stage. Thanks anyway.

Kof, I was in a similar position to you. Difference was... Late 50's, no sailing experience and a wife prone to seasickness. We went on a flotilla holiday in Greece three years ago. We're now liveaboards. We'll do it until it's not pleasurable anymore. We have a boat with all the mod cons. The adult kids are not interested in coming to see us. We have a better social life than we did on land. I quite like the maintenance side of things.

The first season we only got as far as Rochefort (from Lymington). We learned to speak French, met and made really interesting friends from all walks for life, absorbed the local culture and experienced some amazing scenery and entertainment.

It sounds like you might have the financial freedom to capitalize on the Portuguese Non Habitual Residency scheme. I.e. pay zero tax. Have you considered this?

temptress

gbr195t.com
> It will be a new or almost new boat, so maintenance would be lower

Everything on a boat except the electrical kit will break more than once it is made for weekend and holiday sailors. I spent at least one week a day when long distance either doing maintenance or fixing something which happens more often. I carried two spares for everything, exploded diagrams so you know how to take things apart and put back together, also a wide ranging set of tools is needed including ring and open spanners. The longest I went without fixing something was a month in the Venezuelan out islands then when arrived in Bonaire on the first day three things broke.

Do not think for one second that a new or newer boat will require less maintenance. The lifestyle is better described a fixing boats in exotic locations with limited resources.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Andy
Sound good. We've decided to go ahead. Plan is to skip the med this year and go direct to the Caribbean and probably spend two seasons there .
Good decision if you plain to cross the pond .
The Med has a way of keeping you lock in .
Bit like the hotel California song

"You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

We know many with plains of cruising the world , most have ended up in Greece or Turkey , based in the same marina , leaving in May to start their season doing the same islands week in week out then return near the end of sept , Velcro there home out come the to satellite dish , plaints and that where they stay till the following season start.
Good on you I say , have a adventure you only live once .

kof

Visit site
Ha. While I would love to do the Creek Islands, it's a long way east , plus the med weather is fickle and the season short. Heading west to the Caribbean gives us a lot to choose from, easier weather patterns and then scoot south to Grenada for the Summer months, then back up the chain for the next season. I've chartered there before but never on my own boat and as a liveaboard. Will be different. Looking forward to living on the hook, scrubbing the weed off every two week, changing impellers, filters, fixing chaffe and the daily hum of the genset.

The Creek Islands will still be there whenever we decide to come back to the med.

Good decision if you plain to cross the pond .
The Med has a way of keeping you lock in .
Bit like the hotel California song

"You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

We know many with plains of cruising the world , most have ended up in Greece or Turkey , based in the same marina , leaving in May to start their season doing the same islands week in week out then return near the end of sept , Velcro there home out come the to satellite dish , plaints and that where they stay till the following season start.
Good on you I say , have a adventure you only live once .

jordanbasset

Visit site
Ha. While I would love to do the Creek Islands, it's a long way east , plus the med weather is fickle and the season short. Heading west to the Caribbean gives us a lot to choose from, easier weather patterns and then scoot south to Grenada for the Summer months, then back up the chain for the next season. I've chartered there before but never on my own boat and as a liveaboard. Will be different. Looking forward to living on the hook, scrubbing the weed off every two week, changing impellers, filters, fixing chaffe and the daily hum of the genset.

The Creek Islands will still be there whenever we decide to come back to the med.

Best wishes with your adventure, the only advice I would give is not to have too many definite plans, flexibility is the key.
For example I am aware of a number of liveaboards who have had the same plans as you but when they got to the straights of Gibraltar decided to turn left into the med instead. Others have spent much longer in France and the Rias for example and overwintered in Portugal.
Enjoy it where ever fates take you:)