Lithium battery installation after rash purchase???

Pete7

Visit site
Jonathan, I think this applies to all batteries, so what did you do previously with lead acid batteries? The RV market is quite popular in Australia, what do your fellow countrymen and women do with LifePO4 exploring the great outback?

Worst case is you may just have to live with it and accept a small reduction in battery life.

Neeves

Visit site
Jonathan, I think this applies to all batteries, so what did you do previously with lead acid batteries? The RV market is quite popular in Australia, what do your fellow countrymen and women do with LifePO4 exploring the great outback?

Worst case is you may just have to live with it and accept a small reduction in battery life.

Pete, we did nothing. The batteries were under a sofa effectively unvented. The batteries sat on the topside of the floor of the bridge deck. Our first bank 2 x 200amp hrs lasted 15 years. The weight was horrendous and in itself is a reason to use lighter lithium. To me forget the ability to use, say 80%, of what you have generated (whichever way) vs 50% - its the weight not available amps. Its not the cost - over years its nothing.

I think that LiFePO4 is very new in Oz for leisure applications - but certainly very heavily promoted (I went to an RV show to see what overlap there was with sailing, Fridges, galley kit etc - and was amazed at the number of exhibitors pushing LFP for RVs but saw nothing at similarly timed boat shows).

I'll ask around.

Thanks for the post - I'd discarded the RV market as 'incompatible' - but you are correct

Jonathan

lustyd

Visit site
You need to do a little more research. We are talking lifepo4 chemistry. Not the same as phones, laptops or torches. That why we use it. Its safe
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to start treating these kinds of anti lithium posts as trolls going forwards, not try to educate them. They put people off of lithium for no good reason other than their own wilful ignorance. There's so much info these days you have to try really hard to still believe this nonsense!

Admins just need to start removing these posts as either misleading or trolling, and the rest of us just need to start hitting the report button.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to start treating these kinds of anti lithium posts as trolls going forwards, not try to educate them. They put people off of lithium for no good reason other than their own wilful ignorance. There's so much info these days you have to try really hard to still believe this nonsense!

Admins just need to start removing these posts as either misleading or trolling, and the rest of us just need to start hitting the report button.
That would mean admins need to understand all of the different things that are discussed on these forums, not really practical.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

You think I'm trolling?
I'm about to buy lithium batteries!
Tell me what I posted which isn't factually correct please?

geem

Visit site
Pete, we did nothing. The batteries were under a sofa effectively unvented. The batteries sat on the topside of the floor of the bridge deck. Our first bank 2 x 200amp hrs lasted 15 years. The weight was horrendous and in itself is a reason to use lighter lithium. To me forget the ability to use, say 80%, of what you have generated (whichever way) vs 50% - its the weight not available amps. Its not the cost - over years its nothing.

I think that LiFePO4 is very new in Oz for leisure applications - but certainly very heavily promoted (I went to an RV show to see what overlap there was with sailing, Fridges, galley kit etc - and was amazed at the number of exhibitors pushing LFP for RVs but saw nothing at similarly timed boat shows).

I'll ask around.

Thanks for the post - I'd discarded the RV market as 'incompatible' - but you are correct

Jonathan
In parts of OZ, you don't get constant high temperatures. Same here in the Caribbean. The summer peak in Grenada last summer was the highest ever recorded. 35.4degC. Surprisingly low compared to the Med and OZ. My batteries hit 35degC a few times. Now we are in winter the batteries are about 27/28degC. The lowest I have seen so far this winter is 26degC. The perfect temperature is 25degC so we are pretty close to optimum.
If you are running batteries in engines spaces at a constant 40degC you will lose a considerable amount of battery life. It would be best to liquid cool the batteries.

lustyd

Visit site
You think I'm trolling?
I'm about to buy lithium batteries!
Tell me what I posted which isn't factually correct please?
No, but the post Geem quoted may as well be these days as it was talking about airlines banning lithium due to fires. While that sort of confusion was excusable 5 years ago, there is significant information explaining the subject now, so much so that anyone still talking in that way has either chosen not to educate themself or they are deliberately trolling for whatever reason. So many lithium threads on the forum go down that road that it distracts from the actual subject.

Sorry if you thought I was talking about you, not sure why you would have :)

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
No, but the post Geem quoted may as well be these days as it was talking about airlines banning lithium due to fires. While that sort of confusion was excusable 5 years ago, there is significant information explaining the subject now, so much so that anyone still talking in that way has either chosen not to educate themself or they are deliberately trolling for whatever reason. So many lithium threads on the forum go down that road that it distracts from the actual subject.

Sorry if you thought I was talking about you, not sure why you would have :)
But the fact is there is no distinction in the regulations on carriage of dangerous goods between any of the different Lithium ion chemistries. Airlines all follow the same rules on dangerous goods. ICAO and IATA write them so only if the manufacturers can lobby them will it change any time soon.

geem

Visit site
But the fact is there is no distinction in the regulations on carriage of dangerous goods between any of the different Lithium ion chemistries. Airlines all follow the same rules on dangerous goods. ICAO and IATA write them so only if the manufacturers can lobby them will it change any time soon.
My last lifePO4 cells from the US were sent by aircraft, even though it said all over the box, 'not to be sent by aircraft'. They were supposed to be sent by ship. Nobody seemed to care

lustyd

Visit site
No, but to suggest that's a reason that LiFePo4 is dangerous is misleading in the extreme, so while technically correct it's entirely off topic for a boating forum in a thread about LiFePo4 house batteries.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If we report them though, we could at least tidy the threads and prevent the misinformation.
If you report them, the mods would need to know if they were correct, or not before deleting them. That isn't practical.

Just look at the amount of other electrical threads on here where incorrect, or positively dangerous, posts are made. Mods would need to understand all things electrical to be able to remove them.

It's the way of the internet and forums in general. There are plenty of websites publishing nonsense and YouTube is rife with rubbish. Does make it harder for people to find accurate data.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
My last lifePO4 cells from the US were sent by aircraft, even though it said all over the box, 'not to be sent by aircraft'. They were supposed to be sent by ship. Nobody seemed to care
Possible if it was a cargo only flight. Otherwise naughty and costly if caught.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
No, but to suggest that's a reason that LiFePo4 is dangerous is misleading in the extreme, so while technically correct it's entirely off topic for a boating forum in a thread about LiFePo4 house batteries.
Is it because I'm using the term dangerous goods?

geem

Visit site
Possible if it was a cargo only flight. Otherwise naughty and costly if caught.
I suspect it was a cargo only flight. They tried to charge me for the extra cost of flying them. I had stipulated ship only. The manufacturers box stated ship only. They gave me a £75 credit note. That worked out fine as I have shipped in way more stuff now anyway.

lustyd

Visit site
Is it because I'm using the term dangerous goods?
It's because the specific wording of flight rules is not relevant in any way to a thread about house batteries on a boat and the other poster suggested that the flight rules in some way suggest these batteries are dangerous. I've no idea why you're pursuing this now, so although I didn't think you were trolling before, I certainly think you might be now.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It's because the specific wording of flight rules is not relevant in any way to a thread about house batteries on a boat and the other poster suggested that the flight rules in some way suggest these batteries are dangerous. I've no idea why you're pursuing this now, so although I didn't think you were trolling before, I certainly think you might be now.
I'm certainly tempted but nah.....👍