Liferaft service costs....

pvb

Visit site
Just had a bill for just over £500 for a first service on an Ocean specification 4 man Plastimo raft. Seems very expensive to me, the raft was about £1,200 new four years ago. Is £500 about right?

Plastimo liferafts generally have a 3 year service interval. Did you exceed that, and perhaps incur extra costs?

Derek ide

Visit site
Just had a bill for just over £500 for a first service on an Ocean specification 4 man Plastimo raft. Seems very expensive to me, the raft was about £1,200 new four years ago. Is £500 about right?
I had a similar bill from Ocean Safety three years ago and I think they have got you over a barrel. If you look at the itemised costs you will find extortionate prices for simple items like AA cells.
They did not manage to re pack the raft to its previous dimensions in a GRP case.
My sailing is mainly inshore and no chance of crossing the Solent much less the Channel this year.
When was a life raft last used from a yacht to save life in the English Channel? I will never have mine serviced again.
That will set off the forum.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
They can't refuse warranty if you get it serviced professionally elsewhere.

Read the small print, warranties are often reliant on servicing by manufacturer's approved service centres. Mate had a problem with his Seago, no agent within several hundred miles and Seago told him if local not approved service centre did it, warranty would be invalidated.

OP's £500 seems a bit steep, our SeaSafe self righting cost £350 , 2 1/2 years ago.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Read the small print, warranties are often reliant on servicing by manufacturer's approved service centres. Mate had a problem with his Seago, no agent within several hundred miles and Seago told him if local not approved service centre did it, warranty would be invalidated.

OP's £500 seems a bit steep, our SeaSafe self righting cost £350 , 2 1/2 years ago.

That's actually unlawful anywhere within the UK. (Provided the item was originally sold in the uk). Consumer Rights Act 2015

• the service must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. A trader must carry out the service to the same or similar standard to that which is considered acceptable within the vehicle repair industry
  • information about a trader or service is legally binding. Anything said or written down by a trader (or someone acting on their behalf) about themselves or the service forms part of the contract. Any information you take into consideration before you agree the contract or if you make a decision about the service after the contract is made will also form part of the contract
  • reasonable price to be paid for a service. You are required to pay only a 'reasonable' price for the service that a trader provides unless the price (or the way in which the price is worked out) is fixed as part of the contract
  • the service must be carried out within a reasonable time. Sometimes the contract will fix the time that a service must be completed by. If the time has not been fixed then the service must be completed 'within a reasonable time'
The service can be carried out by anyone who is competent and qualified to do so. Any warranty refusing to pay out will be subject to a very easy win case in court.

Also you mate' doesn't need a warranty (no one needs a warranty, it's a scam).
Claim using a warranty or guarantee
My warranty provider won’t honour the warranty, what can I do?

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Why are you quoting the law as it applies to motor vehicles?

Anyway, as it says above - The service can be carried out by anyone who is competent and qualified to do so

Manufacturers of safety equipment usually run training courses before they deem someone as qualified to service their products so may well have a case that an unapproved service centre doesn't have sufficient training and certainly won't have knowledge of any necessary modifications or warranty recalls.

I think every manufacturer of life rafts and other similar safety equipment have similar terms and conditions.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
It has been used to apply to non motor vehicles and last I checked a boat still fits the description of a vehicle. Next up the Consumer Protection Act 2015 provides 6 years worth of coverage regardless (five in scotland).

The government have compiled a list of approved service centers as already provided. Government approved means it gets looked upon favorably in a court setting. So it really doesn't matter what the company says they can and should still be held liable for defective products.

Further given that they normally provide warranties for between 10 and 12 years it is reasonable that the product provided that the manufacturers guidelines are followed (even if not serviced by them) that a liferaft should last at least that long. This is protected under the Sales of Goods Act 1979. See Consumer Rights for further information.

Basically, you're being scammed. They have not got a legal leg to stand on. They should not be selling defective products especially of such nature and it doesn't matter one jot to the consumer how much money they are or are not making. In fact if a supplier isn't making money, I'd be suspicious.

In a nutshell grab any old contract or consumer protection lawyer (no win no fee) and it'll be an easy win. Do make sure to keep records (some of you keep amazing records so shouldn't be too hard!).

DuncanHall

Visit site
I have just paid £308 for a service for a 6 man Plastimo. It was about £500 3 years ago but that time the cost included a 10 year cylinder test and refill. Both services were done by Ocean Safety. The £308 includes a second hand Valise as the zip on the old one was damaged.

Bobc

Visit site
Had my Ocean Safety raft serviced last November (first service), and the bill was £470. A lot of the cost is the replacement kit they put in them, such as flares, batteries, etc.

I thought it was a lot too, but at the end of the day you want it to work, otherwise it's just money wasted. As the quote by John Ruskin:-

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

DipperToo

Visit site
Last year had a 6 man Plastimo Cruiser serviced which included the extras like batteries, 3 red hand flares, new firing head etc and repacked in a hard valise for less than £300 at an approved Plastimo service centre (C E Banyard in Plymouth). This included collection and return. I know this is a 'lesser' liferaft but it should be a reasonable indication.

Graham376

Visit site
The government have compiled a list of approved service centers as already provided. Government approved means it gets looked upon favorably in a court setting. So it really doesn't matter what the company says they can and should still be held liable for defective products.

Have you actually read the document you quote?

This database lists MCA accepted (UK approved) service stations of SOLAS Standard Inflatable LSA. The list of products for which the station is authorised to service is only indicative and may change between annual MCA inspections. It’s the responsibility of the vessel owner / operator to ensure that SOLAS Inflatable LSA is serviced at a competent, approved servicing station which:- - is authorised to service the particular product make/type, - is accepted by the MCA which demonstrates compliance with IMO Res. A.761(18) to maintain proper servicing facilities, - uses only properly trained personnel (evidence of personnel authorisation certification by the original Equipment Manufacturer). The operation and maintenance manual will also include a list of authorised service station where the ship operator can request relevant services. Further details are contained in MGN 548 available by searching in www.gov.uk

ISO 9650 also states -

A liferaft manufactured and maintained in accordance with this part of ISO 9650 should provide:
  • — a reasonable service lifetime, provided a user meets a manufacturer’s clearly specified recommendations on stowage and maintenance.

Last edited:

GraemeS

Visit site
We rent, simples. No capital cost to buy the liferaft, no ongoing servicing costs. To date is has proved cheaper than purchasing.

I like this idea but when I costed it up to go to the Azores and back it was 2/3 the cost of new. Covid19 got in the way so nothing lost as I never made the final decision but I'll have to make the decision for next year (all being well). Can you recommend an particular company for rental? PM me Sandy if you prefer!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I like this idea but when I costed it up to go to the Azores and back it was 2/3 the cost of new. Covid19 got in the way so nothing lost as I never made the final decision but I'll have to make the decision for next year (all being well). Can you recommend an particular company for rental? PM me Sandy if you prefer!
We might see you on the way down to the Azores next year (or the year after).