Life after selling the boat.

cowpat

Visit site
I have just (metaphorically speaking) been let out of PRISON. Yes, and feel wonderful, I have just sold my two boats and am experiencing a new sort of freedom for the first time in 64 years, although I did take a brake for 8 years while I built a 17 ton Cutter.
I built my first boat when I was 16 and been on boats since I am now 80. I like boating but there is far too much of a downside. Especially in the last, say, 10 years with stupid harbour regulations and charges strangling all the pleasure.
My grump is ,,I just wish I had done it (Packed it up) earlier when I had a bit more energy to do some other things.
But I managed to sell one boat last year and the other the year before and before this present "Crash". I live in Cornwall where certain boats can be free or almost free. you know, deep keels that need deep moorings. etc.
I don't think I am alone in this.

Refueler

Visit site
Funny .... I am going other way ...

For years I have compromised ..

With UK wife - money was split between boat for me ... caravan for her .... so we ended up having many caravan holidays and me scrabbling for boat time.
Moved to Baltics ... work took up all my time - ships are 24/7. I again scrabbled for boat time ... having some amazing adventures to add to the Solent / UK ones ...
Time moves on - I reduce my travelling and physical time on ships - such that now at 67 ... soon to be 68 ... decided time to 'get on board' with bigger boat ... get back to some serious boating before its too late.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well for me now in my 80s ,having been active in Boating since I was about 10 , came from a Boating /Sailing family , Suffolk and Essex bred , i tried to recapture my lost late years , when that Covid struck , what with being confined to near House Arrest etc etc , then local Harbour Authority banned acces to my boats , then ruddy Boat Club decided that it was a good time to rebuild the Clubhouse , banning any and all access to the Club , the boat yard , for about 3 years in all , so my twilight boating years were taken from my control , so I tried to claim back the last 2 years , without sucess , as issues got in my way : So decided to start selling up my Boat collection , so from 3 boats , I am now down to just 1 , now deciding wether I will renew my Drying Mooring next year , I decided not to renew my Boat Yard Pontoon berth , with this years weather etc my use of this Berth has been quite restricted , so having sold the Boat I do not need this Berth , so I am looking at not spending arround £2.500 on these facilities , so what do I spend it on ? is my new years thoughts !c

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I sold Benita in September as the mooring fees came due after a summer of dreadful weather and just three trips to sea .
I experienced a sense of lightness and relief.
This has not stopped my daily persusal of boats for sale...

Yes I am in a similar possition , I still look at Boat Ads but without the same enthusiation to actually buy them , so guess that I will take up Camera work again , Video and Stills , maybe , so time to reflect upon my life activities again , maybe ?

scozzy

Visit site
Boats are so much more than just...boats! My already poor social life🤣🫣 would be dire without mine.Most of my pals have one as well so it's a whole lot more than inconvenient bills now and then..I've got the luxury of the harbour being at the end of my street so a 2 minute walk and 1 minute row and I'm aboard..it's like a floating man cave and who doesn't need one of them?

Refueler

Visit site
I sold Benita in September as the mooring fees came due after a summer of dreadful weather and just three trips to sea .
I experienced a sense of lightness and relief.
This has not stopped my daily persusal of boats for sale...

I know what you mean ... I had a boat in UK paying marina fees. I had moved to Baltic and only got back to UK for a few weeks each year.

Moving the boat to Baltic - and being able to moor it at bottom of garden made a large difference.

Funny thing now is that my latest addition is too big to come to home mooring - so stays in the harbour yacht area.
It means that once Superanne is repaired - will come back to home on the river ... Anisette will be other side of the bridges ready for Baltic Sea

DownWest

Visit site
Humm, I have a faering that I find I am not using so much. Light, easy to launch, but, a bit tender.. In the shed, nearly ready, is a mini cruiser with a simple rig. I hope that I can 'get out' there for a few years yet. 76 last August, but still busy with assorted things for clients, The mini cruiser solves the agility problem, as ballasted, plus room to snooze, cook and cr*p, but still light enough to trail/sail to the assorted slips about here.
See how it goes.

Refueler

Visit site
Humm, I have a faering that I find I am not using so much. Light, easy to launch, but, a bit tender.. In the shed, nearly ready, is a mini cruiser with a simple rig. I hope that I can 'get out' there for a few years yet. 76 last August, but still busy with assorted things for clients, The mini cruiser solves the agility problem, as ballasted, plus room to snooze, cook and cr*p, but still light enough to trail/sail to the assorted slips about here.
See how it goes.

I also have a 5.5m cabin boat ... sails like a dog ... its leeway matches distance fwd !! But its fine for the river, 2ocms with both keels up ... 1.2m with keels down.

Z8HuaJil.jpg

cGmQwesl.jpg

Have intention to clean her up ... apply van lining inside ... make up some bunk mattresses etc..... new floor boards ....

cowpat

Visit site
Well for me now in my 80s ,having been active in Boating since I was about 10 , came from a Boating /Sailing family , Suffolk and Essex bred , i tried to recapture my lost late years , when that Covid struck , what with being confined to near House Arrest etc etc , then local Harbour Authority banned acces to my boats , then ruddy Boat Club decided that it was a good time to rebuild the Clubhouse , banning any and all access to the Club , the boat yard , for about 3 years in all , so my twilight boating years were taken from my control , so I tried to claim back the last 2 years , without sucess , as issues got in my way : So decided to start selling up my Boat collection , so from 3 boats , I am now down to just 1 , now deciding wether I will renew my Drying Mooring next year , I decided not to renew my Boat Yard Pontoon berth , with this years weather etc my use of this Berth has been quite restricted , so having sold the Boat I do not need this Berth , so I am looking at not spending arround £2.500 on these facilities , so what do I spend it on ? is my new years thoughts !c
That sounds like the best reason I've heard for packing it all up..I find it's not the money, problem. its the freedom that it brings. Example..
5.00 on a January evening phone call. "Your foots come of your boat (17 ton) leg and it's at a funny angle". That means next tide at 5.30 AM.at boat,dark,raining,blowing struggling in the mud. Also later January fitting new legs on the same morning/evening tides. Decklights, rain wind, and electric plainer...5.30 am...need I go on???

ash2020

Visit site
I've got a lovely Varne 27 fin keeler in Poole Harbour. She was brought down on a truck from Scotland last year. The winter storage is £1300, the seasonal mooring is £1000. We've been out twice this year, due to other stuff happening. That's probably about the cost of a 2 week flotilla holiday in Greece, isn't it?
I'm going to be moving down to Devon so a fin keel probably won't be much use. I paid £12k for her and I can't sell her for £9k. Nobody's interested, despite lovely condition. So I'll lose £4K, have to buy another, on which I will also lose. I seem to be doing something wrong.

ash2020

Visit site
That sounds like the best reason I've heard for packing it all up..I find it's not the money, problem. its the freedom that it brings. Example..
5.00 on a January evening phone call. "Your foots come of your boat (17 ton) leg and it's at a funny angle". That means next tide at 5.30 AM.at boat,dark,raining,blowing struggling in the mud. Also later January fitting new legs on the same morning/evening tides. Decklights, rain wind, and electric plainer...5.30 am...need I go on???
But you're still doing it! :ROFLMAO:

cowpat

Visit site
I've got a lovely Varne 27 fin keeler in Poole Harbour. She was brought down on a truck from Scotland last year. The winter storage is £1300, the seasonal mooring is £1000. We've been out twice this year, due to other stuff happening. That's probably about the cost of a 2 week flotilla holiday in Greece, isn't it?
I'm going to be moving down to Devon so a fin keel probably won't be much use. I paid £12k for her and I can't sell her for £9k. Nobody's interested, despite lovely condition. So I'll lose £4K, have to buy another, on which I will also lose. I seem to be doing something wrong.
Oh, hell, what a story.

cowpat

Visit site
Oh, hell, what a story.
Honestly, your 4k down is the way things are. It's worse nere in Cornwall I think, by just looking at boats on Marketplace.
By comparison with 1070s if you had a 27 ft or 32ish boat like a westerly or fiberglass similar you were either, doctor,solicitor,accountant,or company director.
Apologies for my blunt comment but the whole of our country is being taken over and run by nasty little shits that can only think of rip off profit.