Legs or shafts?

Phill

Visit site
Thinking of changing our boat this year from a Princess 33 to a Princess 35, so thought I'd ask for your opinions please.
All of our boating so far has been done on the upper Thames and our present boat has been ideal for this. In the future we want to go tidal with the occasional coastal trip so need a boat that is fairly happy in all enviorenments. We currently have twin outdrives and I occasionally have to lift the legs when mooring in more remote spots. Although I would prefer shafts, I think 35's were available with outdrives. As most of our use would still be on the upper Thames, would I be better opting for legs?

No Regrets

Visit site
From what I have gleaned over the last 12 months:

Shafts should cost less to run, and have more advantages than outdrives.

I have just switched to shaft, and noticed straight line stability impovements, nicer steering and look forward to lower running costs.

I concede the outdrives are great for manoevring in tight spaces though....

hlb

RIP
Visit site
A P35 handles like a dream in marinas, rivers or on the sea, totally faultless. Never heard of one on drives though. But would avoid.

Theres one possibly coming up for sale soon, with brand new, just about every thing, PM me if interested.

Theres no bull above, you can try it.

Ramage

Visit site
Mucky Farter comes to the Thames?

That really is one to look forward to! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PS. Shafts, definitely shafts.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not sure really. Debs hates the idea, Ive had of selling, for two or three years.

She had a brand new 50" barge. But sold it, in prefference to MF. I fink. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Women.

It's a bit like buying Nelsons Victory init. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ramage

Visit site
Boats and women, both the same...
can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Both cost a fortune to run
and you have to get in funny positions to service them!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

benjenbav

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's a bit like buying Nelsons Victory init

[/ QUOTE ]

Up on blocks in Portsmouth, you mean? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

neale

Visit site
Shafts = Easy to handle and simple to maintain

Drives = Reduced fuel cost when at speed and ability to lift for shallow water but expensive to maintain

For a Princess 35 style boat, I would go shafts.

oldgit

Visit site
Think you will have difficulty finding one with outdrives,but believe it or not there are one or two about.Stick to shafts with a boat of that size.Outdrive props are vunerable and even if the do lift up they will get bashed very easily.I have actually got a spare pair on board and they used far to often when going upriver.
You WILL have to get that radar arched hinged if you want to go above Windsor Bridge
(13 ft),so add about 2k for the job in additon to purchase price.
There is a P35 for sale with weedy single non turbo deisel for sale on the web very cheap (£45K ish?) OK for upriver but next to useless in any salty water.

Phill

Visit site
Shafts it will be then.
I must admit to prefering shafts but was a little worried about the prospect of regular lift outs to repair or replace damaged props.

Thanks for all input.