KAD 32 - dirty coolant

foxgoose

Visit site
Went to France last week and bought a boat to ship out to med.

Beneteau Ombrine 960 - KAD 32's with only 45 hours.

The boat seemed a good buy since it was first launched in June 2002 and the owner lost interest in it in August 2003 and went back to raggie boats, since when it had sat in a yard.

Boat was pretty well unmarked and as new.

I had it launched for a sea trial and it performed well, straight up to design speed of 34 knots, smooth and stable at 3000 revs cruising speed, oil pressures fine and temperatures stable at around 180 for an hour or so.

The only slight niggle was that the coolant in both engines was a bit brown and mucky looking in the reservoirs although it seemed clean and not oily when I dipped a finger in it.

My UK boat was new in 2002 and after 250 hours the coolant is still the original luminous green.

I noticed the top up coolant on board was a pale blue fluid and not the dayglow green stuff I have.

The only explanation I can think of is that my boat has never sat unused for more than two weeks since commissioning whereas this one has sat unloved in the yard for almost a year and I guess some corrosion could take place in unwetted areas of the cooling ways - leading to the discolouration.

Bought it any way, without survey, 'cos it seemed super and I like living dangerously but I'd be interested in any comments from more experienced folk.

<hr width=100% size=1>

muchy_

Visit site
Sounds like just a bit of rust from the waterways. Have them drain and refilled with nice new coolant and antifreeze or inhibitors, that should sort it out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

[2068]

Visit site
...or maybe that mixing green coolant with blue coolant produces brown coolant ?

Agree with advice tho, drain and refill with V*lvo coolant / water mix.

<hr width=100% size=1>

foxgoose

Visit site
Yes - still got the Targa for the UK.

The Ombrine's going out to our holiday home in Malta (assuming shipping agents and French/Maltese customs play ball over the next few days - it's being picked up tomorrow.)

Due to total naivety I completely underestimated the complexity of buying a boat and getting it from Point A to Point B in less than a couple of weeks in good old tariff free, frontier free Europe - don't try it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

adarcy

Visit site
GRRRR gnash gnash

Well done hope you have enough time to enjoy both

gnash gnash

<hr width=100% size=1>

stellican

Visit site
The problem with the colour of the coolant is quite common.It is caused by deposits of casting sand not being flushed out when the engine block was manufactured

<hr width=100% size=1>