Just pictures

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
A little further south the water was more disturbed. This was closer to the north end of Soind of Luing and the tide was travelling northward, so was wind and tide together but no pinch/split points close by.

View attachment 139557
This turbulent water was when I was about to enter Loch Craignish to go to Ardfern.
That's more how I remember it.

Plum

Visit site
Last edited:

philiphurst

Visit site
Niagara approaching the finish of Saturday's Blackwater Match.

Edited: unable to attach resized image. Will try later.

Here you go!

Niagara.jpg

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
How to tack a SB in light winds:

Back the jib

Tack1 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Mizzen still driving, topsail starts to fill

Tack 2 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Main and topsail now driving, mizzen eased and not yet driving while jib is still backed.

Tack 3 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Jib let free and set on the new tack. All now then driving. All rather fun and calm.

Tack 4 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
How to tack a SB in light winds:

Back the jib

Tack1 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Mizzen still driving, topsail starts to fill

Tack 2 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Main and topsail now driving, mizzen eased and not yet driving while jib is still backed.

Tack 3 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Jib let free and set on the new tack. All now then driving. All rather fun and calm.

Tack 4 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr
That works on a converted wooden lifeboat, too! Same problem - long (as in full length of the boat) straight keel.

tillergirl

Visit site
Actually before I learnt how to set up the preTiller Girl right (i.e. the previous boat), I HAD to back the jib to get through the wind. T'was all about balance!

Sorry I have just had a bout of nostalgia!

Clinker 2 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

I had to save up for the sails to be sorted - mailsail boltrope had shrunk, the staysail was replaced and a nice jib downhaul was fitted which could tighten the luff. Nobody would believe me but she had the most comfortable bunk ever fitted on a boat. Don't know why peeps what plastic boats. All there in 25ft with a separate engine room, separate heads, galley and four bunks; plenty of running water :)

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site
Indeed, step 1 is to lower the weather leeboard - if you wait until the barge has tacked, the load on the new lee leeboard will be too high to persuade it to move, so the old man will have to luff up to relieve the load, risking getting stuck in irons.

The secret of Roger's first photo is that the mizzen is sheeted to the rudder so, as you put the helm down to tack. the sail is pushed up into the wind and starts the barge turning. Then, the foresail (not jib, only bowsprit barges carry a jib, set from the main mast cap to the bowsprit head), held to the lee shrouds by the bowline starts to fill aback generating the other half of the couple that rotates the barge through the wind, as shown in the second photo. No need to tend the topsail or the mainsail, both are self tacking, the main being sheeted to the main horse and the topsail to the sprit head. As the main starts to tack it will flog a bit, causing the massive block at the horse to thrash about so it's not wise to try to cross the horse until the sail has filled properly on the new tack. Once the barge starts to settle on the new tack, the skipper will yell "Let draw" - the order for the mate to uncleat the bowline from the now weather shrouds, allowing the foresail to slam across its horse, after which he goes down to leeward to pass the other bowline through its cringle on the sail and cleat it to the lee shroud in preparation for the next tack then nips aft to wind up the weather leeboard.

This is the easy version with no staysail (headsail from topmast head to stemhead ) set. When carrying a staysail, sheeting that is a priority for the mate - no sheet winches so you must get what you can on the sheet as she goes through the wind. On a bowsprit barge, you also have the jib to contend with and the staysail is set from the topmast cap to the bowsprit head. This was more normal for coasting barges than river barges so they often carried a third hand and mostly rigged the bowsprit when off shore so you could make longer boards. Of course, when racing, you could carry many more crew, allowing a more equitable sharing of the workload.

Peter.

tillergirl

Visit site
This photo will show the mizzen/rudder 'sheeting'. Also somebody standing by waiting to wind up the port leeboard.

P1080565 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

All rather calm. Sorry about the 'jib'. I was being casual. #809 shows Remainder with the addiitonal foresail aloft: top staysail?

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Roger,

Just staysail describes that extra headsail in barge man's language, whether it is set as on Reminder or above the jib out to the bowsprit head on a bowsprit barge. On a bowsprit barge, when sailing in confined waters, the bowsprit may well be hauled up and the same staysail flown on the top mast stem stay, just like a staysail barge. Most trading barges carried two sizes of staysail, selected to suit the wind strength. In the case of match racing, they sometimes carried a much larger, lighter version, often called a spinnaker, for downwind legs - setting these sometimes involved creative work with setting booms and tacking the top mast stem stay down in odd places, although I've not witnessed so much of that since the 1970's. Getting the staysail wrong and particularly carrying aone too big or for too long, used to be a common cause of broken topmasts, tumbling on to the foredeck.

Off wind work for the crew could be as much work as going to windward as both the top mast and main mast have running back stays to tend - all this seen to by the boy in the time honoured "man and a boy" crew.

Peter.