Just pictures

MikeBz

Visit site
Strange goings-on at Batemans Tower (Brightlingsea) today:

1CE0D222-15C9-4184-8B1B-1976E8C0739B.jpeg

Apparently Pioneer broke her mooring, presumably some time after HW this morning otherwise she would have fetched up on the concrete around the tower or the groynes in front of the paddling pool. Don’t know what the story is with the speedboat.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Roughly speaking, world trade in goods by water, calculated as ton miles, has grown by 4.5% annually over that time.

I'm wondering if the shipping industry is concerned with the TAR (Trans-Asian Railway ) . In effect, a railway link from Asia to Western Europe when it is completed.

cherod

Visit site
You'll have to excuse the quality of this image: it was taken by my daughter using an Iphone with a broken screen. Personally I think it gives it atmosphere, like an oil painting.

it's taken over the counter of Transcur, leading the pack down the Stour in the Two River's race a few years back and I think it conveys a little of theView attachment 93582 excitement of the chase.
Loks a bit Turnerish

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Strange goings-on at Batemans Tower (Brightlingsea) today:

View attachment 93588

Apparently Pioneer broke her mooring, presumably some time after HW this morning otherwise she would have fetched up on the concrete around the tower or the groynes in front of the paddling pool. Don’t know what the story is with the speedboat.

Yikes. Might not have been funny.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I'm wondering if the shipping industry is concerned with the TAR (Trans-Asian Railway ) . In effect, a railway link from Asia to Western Europe when it is completed.

The biggest double stack container trains take 300 forty foot containers (« 300 FEU / 600 TEU”) the usual size is 200 FEU.

The main line ships of today such as we see in Felixstowe are around 20,000 TEU, ie you need more than thirty 300 FEU trains to carry what one ship carries.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
The biggest double stack container trains take 300 forty foot containers (« 300 FEU / 600 TEU”) the usual size is 200 FEU.

The main line ships of today such as we see in Felixstowe are around 20,000 TEU, ie you need more than thirty 300 FEU trains to carry what one ship carries.
But those trains travel at up to 75 mph... so in the weeks it takes the 20,000 TEU to arrive,...???

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
But those trains travel at up to 75 mph... so in the weeks it takes the 20,000 TEU to arrive,...???
It's immaterial. Think of a pipeline; as long as the pipe is full, it doesn't matter how long the transit is as long as water comes out of one end as fast as it goes in at the other. All long-distance transit systems are pipelines; the drawback is that they don't react rapidly, which is where the rail system will come into it's own. But for most things, a long lead time doesn't matter.

Aquaboy

Visit site
So a......... 110553.86 HP ship =5.5hp per TEU
428 HP truck = 214HP per TEU
6250 HP railway loco =10.4HP per TEU

I would think Mirosa could fit a single TEU in the hold. (might look a little like a strange stacky) and as she has no engine that would be the most economical of the lot!!Mirosa and tug.PNG

PeterWright

Visit site
So a......... 110553.86 HP ship =5.5hp per TEU
428 HP truck = 214HP per TEU
6250 HP railway loco =10.4HP per TEU

I would think Mirosa could fit a single TEU in the hold. (might look a little like a strange stacky) and as she has no engine that would be the most economical of the lot!!View attachment 93771
Your idea doesn't work when she's being towed by a tug like that - her engine is probably bigger than the truck's 428 hp.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Not quite the East Coast

Iio27Ch.jpg

Other threads that may be of interest