Just asking ... Vevor 40ltr Fridge vs built in

Refueler

Visit site
I have a built in compressor fridge on the boat .. I also have a Vevor C40 portable compressor fridge unit - marvelous, wish I'd bought one much earlier ...

The Vevor is rated as 5A / 12V .. but of course that varies depending on cooling required.

My question is comparing the compressor fridge built in ... its a typical ~ 30ltr job with separate compressor unit on a shelf.

Would I be better running the Vevor on board as main fridge and the built in as cooler ? or other way round ? Would the built in be more efficient ?

I know I have run the built in for short periods - but I don't feel it gets cold like the Vevor ... but as I say - only run short periods ...

Daverw

Visit site
This is exactly what we have done, use the built in fridge for chilled stuff when needed but the portable for either chilled or frozen, it freezes to -18 very well and we run it of our inverter to keep it simple, it could be of 12v but it’s sat behind table in front of forward cabin with no 12v nearby, used it now for about 12months

Refueler

Visit site
Tks for that ... it sort of confirms what I thought.

My built in is good but I wonder if its as good as the portable Vevor in insulation etc.

At 5A ... I'm considering whether I could have a small solar panel to run the Vevor - night is short here so once cooled it would easily maintain itself.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It will boil down to the quality of the insulation in both and the fixed installation in what I am guessing will be an oldish boat will be somewhat lacking in my experience which is why it seems poor in comparison to the newer portable one. Then there is the question of the compressor which may have lost refrigerant.
In the short term use the portable for refrigeration or freezing and the fixed as a cold box. Investigate the insulation in the fixed installation which may surprise you and then change it and then the compressor if it still is not getting really cold.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
30 litres sounds remarkably small for an installed compressor fridge. Ours is 55 litres, powered by a Danfoss 35F compressor. Ours is a custom one, water cooled for Greece but probably OTT for the Baltic. Consider transferring the innards to a bigger box with lots of insulation.

Refueler

Visit site
30 litres sounds remarkably small for an installed compressor fridge. Ours is 55 litres, powered by a Danfoss 35F compressor. Ours is a custom one, water cooled for Greece but probably OTT for the Baltic. Consider transferring the innards to a bigger box with lots of insulation.

I assume its 30ltrs - but probably significantly more. Its tall and narrow making it difficult to access items in lower part .. and assess its volume.

To reach any item in lower section - I have to stand on something to be able to reach down in !! Even then its hard.

ylop

Visit site
To reach any item in lower section - I have to stand on something to be able to reach down in !! Even then its hard.
My wife is, shall we say of smaller stature, so has everything in the fridge in draw string bags (colour coded like chopping boards) so it’s easier to find stuff without needing to hand upside down. If it’s really cavernous you could perhaps add some sort of hooks so the strings are within reach?

Refueler

Visit site
My wife is, shall we say of smaller stature, so has everything in the fridge in draw string bags (colour coded like chopping boards) so it’s easier to find stuff without needing to hand upside down. If it’s really cavernous you could perhaps add some sort of hooks so the strings are within reach?

I bought a load of string bags ... just for that ... wife saw them and they were 're-purposed' .....

They are a conversation piece as they were common during Soviet times ... but rarely seen here now.

I have to order more.

bedouin

Visit site
As a general rule I don't think there is that much difference between the efficiency of compressors - so the economy is pretty much governed by the insulation. The better insulated will be more economical to run. There is scope for a lot more insulation for the built in - many can get 2" or more whereas portables tend to be less than half that - albeit of - possibly - a better quality insulation. So see if you can work out what sort of insulation you have around the built in and take it from there.

A nice big built in means you can bring a couple of frozen bottles of water from home than that helps to keep the whole lot cool.

geem

Visit site
Our 100L built in fridge has a 10 litre freezer inside. I built this fridge/freezer 12 years ago. It has a lot of insulation. Running in freezer mode it uses less power than our portable 42 litre compressor fridge running at 7degC. Compressor fridges are not going to change efficiency by very much if they are gassed correctly. The biggest single impact on performance is insulation. All portable fridges are pretty mean on the insulation compared to a nicely insulated built in unit. Our built in unit has 150mm of insulation on the bottom, 100mm on the sides and top. The portable fridge has an additional insulated jacket thst does help but it is no match for the built in fridge low power consumption

Refueler

Visit site
The 'built in' is at back of kitchenette and against hull side ... would be difficult to add more insulation

BurN66Gl.jpg

you can see the ring pull outboard of the sinks. You can now understand my comment of hard to get things out of it .. being at the back like that.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Take the sinks and cooker out ( and replace it whilst you are at it 😁 ) that will probably give you or a small boy good access. You can bet there isn't a lot of insulation between the hull and the fridge box side.

fredrussell

Visit site
One point to consider: my Alpicool 32 is a bit noisy when running, at least compared to a remote compressor tucked away in a locker somewhere. One day I will fit a compressor to boats coolbox which currently has a power hungry Peltier unit (hence Alpicool).

B27

Visit site
My experience is that most built in fridges on boats over 15 years old have really poor insulation.

I have a portable fridge, not Vevor but generic 'Made in China', cost me about £200.
It's great.
We often load it up with pre-cooled stuff and a frozen pre-cooked meal and the compressor doesn't even run until the next day.
I've left it running for a long while ashore, it averages less than 20Wh per 24hrs.

If I was wanting to be independent of shops for several days at a stretch, I might consider seriously insulating the built-in cool box, and using my portable fridge for frozen stuff. I could even freeze 'cold blocks' to put in the cool box.

If you want several days of four people drinking gallons of chilled drinks etc, you will want a lot more volume though.
If you're going to do the ARC, you'll want a big built in fridge and/or freezer.