JPK 39FC

doris

Visit site
I keep looking at various vids of Photo Infinity on YouTube and wonder if it’s worth having the wrap. I’m told that the problem they had was very unusual but how much is that Mandy Rice Davis speak???
At the mom a wrap is on order.

Ceirwan

Visit site
Epic thread.

I really love this new breed of powerful & fast French designs, I get that traditionalists might not like the looks, but I don't see many downsides at all.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Epic thread.

I really love this new breed of powerful & fast French designs, I get that traditionalists might not like the looks, but I don't see many downsides at all.
Absolutely. I had the pleasure of a close inspection and above deck tour of a 1010 yesterday. The boat definitely went up in my estimation. Apart from the possible drawback of the odd marina tut tutting about the beam. It’s substantially larger than our tri when folded, for the same length. If the 39s proportions are the same, it’s going to be beamier than a Prout catamaran🤣

Numbers

Visit site
Yup, November is still the plan. Then will have to decide where to leave it for the winter.
Aluminium mast, carbon is just silly money and I do not need one.
I am having a winch on the mast so the choice is mine.
Haven’t paid any attention to the fridge capacity, maybe I should but on most boats it’s too big, IMHO. This will not be a live aboard boat.
The plotter will be down below and I’ll use a tablet in the cockpit. Three displays above the coach roof, a pilot control/display for each tiller.

I see Jason from Cyclops has some whiz bang mainsail track.

and also some gadget for his headsail halyard (can't recall what its called and it was all a bit above my head)

Are you having any fancy stuff like that?

I recall you saying you're going to have three reefing points ... Are you doing single line reefing, or how will you set up your reefing?

When Jules was talking about their wrap and mentioned the race yachts did new wrap every year, I lost interest immediately. How long would a standard wrap last do you think? It must be good for sun protection? Other than looking great, what other benefits does it have?

flaming

Visit site
Absolutely. I had the pleasure of a close inspection and above deck tour of a 1010 yesterday. The boat definitely went up in my estimation. Apart from the possible drawback of the odd marina tut tutting about the beam. It’s substantially larger than our tri when folded, for the same length. If the 39s proportions are the same, it’s going to be beamier than a Prout catamaran🤣
Sorry about the lack of a below deck tour, but with those two reprobates on board the interior looked like a bomb had gone off....

I think that the cruising JPK line are actually proportionally ever so slightly wider than the racing line.... 1180 3.95m, 39FC 3.98m. With the 39 being a couple of cm shorter....

doris

Visit site
Ouch.
You can be rude about a man’s house, the company he works for, even his wife but insult his boat and you’re in trouble! A Prout might have great practicality but a thing of beauty it is not. Perhaps the boaty version of ‘Does my bum look big in this, Darling?’

A Dehler 39 has a beam of 3.85 and is a big 39 footer but a very high performance sailing boat, v handsome with it, and not comparable to the similar length Oceanis etc. The JPK 39FC has a beam of 3.98 but carries most of that that beam all the way aft.

Prout huh, get back to your slavery sir!!!!

flaming

Visit site
4213a0b3-5f38-4168-8e03-9765d473b3ae.jpeg
Picture from this weekend, cruising with some old school friends. We have the A5 up and sitting on the plane at 10-12 knots at 130ish TWA.
Flat wake whilst cruising is a lot of fun…

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
View attachment 180959
Picture from this weekend, cruising with some old school friends. We have the A5 up and sitting on the plane at 10-12 knots at 130ish TWA.
Flat wake whilst cruising is a lot of fun…
It really is. It’s our ideal cruising speed in reality. Things only get edgier when much faster than that, where 10 to low teens is relaxing.

Ceirwan

Visit site
and also some gadget for his headsail halyard (can't recall what its called and it was all a bit above my head)

Its the Antal halyard system. A pretty cool setup I think.

Its a self locking track on the mast, you have a half halyard that attaches to a car on the track, you use a bit of line and a winch either on the mast or led aft to pull the car down & tension the halyard, the car then locks in place & you remove the extra bit of line.
So you don't have 50 feet of Genoa halyard coiled up in the cockpit or at the mast that never actually gets used until you drop the sail.

In fact as you see the videos, there seem to be a lot of nice modern solutions to the running rigging.

flaming

Visit site
Its the Antal halyard system. A pretty cool setup I think.

Its a self locking track on the mast, you have a half halyard that attaches to a car on the track, you use a bit of line and a winch either on the mast or led aft to pull the car down & tension the halyard, the car then locks in place & you remove the extra bit of line.
So you don't have 50 feet of Genoa halyard coiled up in the cockpit or at the mast that never actually gets used until you drop the sail.

In fact as you see the videos, there seem to be a lot of nice modern solutions to the running rigging.
So how do you adjust the tension in the halyard when you're sailing?

Ceirwan

Visit site
So how do you adjust the tension in the halyard when you're sailing?

I think its mostly designed for cruisers that tend to 'set and forget' at the start of the season.
Maybe the thinking is that this thing is designed as a fast cruiser?

They are adjustable, but you have to attach a tail to the car to then winch it in or ease it. You could keep a tail on it all the time at the mast winch if you have one, but that would defeat the point of the system.
I know people that probably haven't adjusted their halyard tension on the genoa in actual years, so combined with a low stretch halyard, for them the system would be no different from what they already do.

Numbers

Visit site
Our system, the halyard tail is just long enough to be winched, and obviously sits in a clutch, conventionally.
Thats smart and simple. My Genoa halyard is a pain!

Having the Halyard stop at the base of the mast with the Antal system sounds even better, I guess that comes at a financial cost. It definitely sounds more of a cruisers option rather than a racer who may change sails often and is more likely to tweak halyard tension.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Thats smart and simple. My Genoa halyard is a pain!

Having the Halyard stop at the base of the mast with the Antal system sounds even better, I guess that comes at a financial cost. It definitely sounds more of a cruisers option rather than a racer who may change sails often and is more likely to tweak halyard tension.
Personally, if someone gifted me the antal locking system, I’d stick with what I have, thanks. I think it sounds unsuitable for us, with no perceptible advantage for anyone.