Jet Ski's at Sheerness

johnalison

Visit site
In a world where everybody is bound up in restriction, form filling and licensing, saltwater sailing and boating is pretty much under the radar. Perhaps we can tolerate the odd jet skier that gets bored quickly and makes a nuisance of himself.
Why? By its nature a nuisance is either affecting someone’s quality of life, harming or endangering them.

tidclacy

Visit site
A friend sailing off West Mersea was recently asked by a jetskier for directions to Brightlingsea. Last year I was asked the way to Bradwell on Sea. The guy with a kid on the back clearly thought it would be a seaside resort! Says a lot about their responsible approach to being on the water.
Hope he pointed them in the wrong direction!!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
What a fabulous idea.

Apart from the perpetrators of antisocial nuisance behaviour on the water themselves of course, who could reasonably object to that?
My boat is capable of 28 knots, why should i need a licence because of that ? What, just because there are some idiots on jet skis ?

I meet just as many idiots on sub 10 knot sail boats. Returning home from Titchmarsh last weekend, several sail boats coming past Stone Point and beyond, almost all of them on the wrong side of the channel.

Perhaps sail boat owners should all have to take a test to prove they understand Colregs, how do you feel about that ?

johnalison

Visit site
My boat is capable of 28 knots, why should i need a licence because of that ? What, just because there are some idiots on jet skis ?

I meet just as many idiots on sub 10 knot sail boats. Returning home from Titchmarsh last weekend, several sail boats coming past Stone Point and beyond, almost all of them on the wrong side of the channel.

Perhaps sail boat owners should all have to take a test to prove they understand Colregs, how do you feel about that ?
The fact is that there are actually quite a lot of idiots on jet-skis. There are no doubt plenty of idiots in sailing boats, but their potential for doing harm is vastly less than for most other boats.

I don't know about your Stone Point point. There is generally plenty of room there, often past anchored boats, but when coming from the sea it can sometimes be hard to pick out the first green buoy and it may make sense to head for the deeper water near the shore.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The fact is that there are actually quite a lot of idiots on jet-skis. There are no doubt plenty of idiots in sailing boats, but their potential for doing harm is vastly less than for most other boats.
Not sure that's correct John, you can do a lot of damage with a 10-12 metre yacht.
I don't know about your Stone Point point. There is generally plenty of room there, often past anchored boats, but when coming from the sea it can sometimes be hard to pick out the first green buoy and it may make sense to head for the deeper water near the shore.
But Colregs are Colregs. One boat left of a choice between hitting a moored boat or risking running aground, two others forced us to take to the wrong side of the channel or run aground, the last one entered the channel on the wrong side, head on to us.

There are idiots in all craft, what we don't need is poorly though out calls for legislation. Careful what you wish for springs to mind ;)

ylop

Visit site
The fact is that there are actually quite a lot of idiots on jet-skis.
I suspect its "localised" - people don't like them / complain etc and it becomes harder to launch in certain areas forcing them into certain problem spots where there is a high density of them. If we would all learn to be more tolerant they'd be spread out more which would not only reduce the density but probably help to "denormalise" the most stupid behaviour. I expect we will see more, varied, craft like foiling electric surf boards, windsurfs with foils etc over the next few years and we should think carefully before insisting they are kept away from us as clearly it doesn't really solve the issue.

Sailing steve

Visit site

I've already taken a test called RYA Yachtmaster and another one called RYA Powerboat two so I'm quite at ease with my feelings over examinations of competency to operate craft under sail and power thank you.

If the yachts you mention were under sail and you were under power then there's no "wrong" side of the channel for them to be on as you suggest and there's perhaps a reason to question exactly who's the idiot here.

ylop

Visit site
I've already taken a test called RYA Yachtmaster and another one called RYA Powerboat two so I'm quite at ease with my feelings over examinations of competency to operate craft under sail and power thank you.
Are you assuming that if a licensing regime was introduced that it would be based on the RYA scheme? That would be sensible. Government departments are not always sensible. Indeed there's not even any certainty that such a scheme would involve actually being tested on the water. It would likely involve cost for the admin (payable by you) and might be renewable, might open the way to an annual road tax equivalent etc., all of which you and I will comply with as responsible citizens... Meanwhile, the transit van towing the jetski which doesn't have any insurance or MoT will turn up when nobody is around to police the water and use it to the annoyance of those he currently does - and by the time your call to the CG/police gets a response he's gone...

PaulRainbow

Visit site

If the yachts you mention were under sail and you were under power then there's no "wrong" side of the channel for them to be on as you suggest and there's perhaps a reason to question exactly who's the idiot here.
You might want to resit your exams if you think that rubbish is correct seamanship and complies with Colregs.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Why? By its nature a nuisance is either affecting someone’s quality of life, harming or endangering them.
You have a point.
Difficult to comment without the full details. The experience was probably quite frightening.
Any video of the scene would be helpful. Many now have a Smartphone than can take footage.

It seems we have two options when becoming a victim. We either take it philosophically as a life experience to learn and understand others, or take action. There is nothing more exhilarating than rolling up your sleeves to fix problems , rather than baring your chest to be a victim say some.

A few years back, a relation of mine had two old cars that he classed as classic. They were housed in an open barn in a country area. Two youths decided to smash a couple of them to bits. Unfortunately for them, he had CCTV cameras that filmed the whole event. He then took some rather courageous action. He put the whole incident on the internet and within a couple hours he new their names and locale where they lived.

One of the father's contacted him, incredibly apologetic, stating that his son had now learned his lesson etc. and would pay for any damage. Incredibly, the second father made contact but could not see what the problem was and didn't offer any money.

I'm not sure what came of it all after that, but the first father was very keen to avoid police involvement . God knows what the legal implications are of posting footage on the internet,

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
I'm sure, but not often. If asked whether I would feel safer in a dinghy, say, with a 10m sailing boat approaching at 6 knots, or with a 40' powerboat approaching at 30 I know what I would answer.
But its not often jetski's cause actual damage rather than annoyance either - when jetskis do get it wrong its most often them who come off worse. The answer to your hypothetical question is it clearly depends who's on the helm (if anyone!). I can honestly say I've never been concerned a jet-ski was going to collide with me, in any vessel I've been in. I have been less confident with some powerboats, but had to actually take avoiding action from some sailing boats...

johnalison

Visit site
But its not often jetski's cause actual damage rather than annoyance either - when jetskis do get it wrong its most often them who come off worse. The answer to your hypothetical question is it clearly depends who's on the helm (if anyone!). I can honestly say I've never been concerned a jet-ski was going to collide with me, in any vessel I've been in. I have been less confident with some powerboats, but had to actually take avoiding action from some sailing boats...
I think that jet-skis are more of a risk to swimmers and perhaps dinghies, so I was really drifting over to powerboats. I have had to avoid sailing boats and sometimes been damaged by them while I was moored, but in most cases these were no more than scratches. I have never been frightened while at sea over a wide area and for many years but I can remember the alarm I felt when approaching the Dodman in a flat calm while a very large powerboat was approaching directly towards me and not responding to repeated VHF calls asking for his intentions, and that is not a feeling I took up cruising for in the much quieter days of half a century ago.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Currently touring the West Country. By far the worst experience was a night in Salcombe on Sunday. We were on the inside of the visitors pontoon and locals don't seem to care about the wash they create as they use the inside like a nautical motorway whether or not they were exceeding the harbour limit.

Loads of comms between the HM and water taxi skippers about a number of vessels (usually ribs) travelling in excess of 20 knots, doing donuts etc in "The Bag".

Looked like chav city but we did have an excellent meal at Dick & Wills!

johnalison

Visit site
Currently touring the West Country. By far the worst experience was a night in Salcombe on Sunday. We were on the inside of the visitors pontoon and locals don't seem to care about the wash they create as they use the inside like a nautical motorway whether or not they were exceeding the harbour limit.

Loads of comms between the HM and water taxi skippers about a number of vessels (usually ribs) travelling in excess of 20 knots, doing donuts etc in "The Bag".

Looked like chav city but we did have an excellent meal at Dick & Wills!
I always found the best way of enjoying Salcombe was just to pretend to myself that I was in a foreign country.

Some of the most irritating encounters we had was in the archipelago north of Gothenburg. Much of the time one was negotiating between rocky islands, often in narrow passages, only to find at the narrowest point that someone was charging round a blind bend at you. If you were lucky it was just a dory, but more often a big Storebro. The Norwegians were the worst.

oldgit

Visit site
OGs .Rulzs of the road.
Pt 1. Be aware of anything with a sail in front of me (however distant) and appreciate that they may hold a steady course ...............or not.
Big ones in the river tend to want to hold a tack until they run out of water , littluns less so.
As far as possible make my intentions as clear as possible as soon as possible to avoid any possible confusion as to who needs to do what to cause a friendly wave as opposed to a shaking head.
Have great respect for anybody capable of controlling a tangle of ropes, wires large bits of bedsheet and persuading it to go in particular direction .

Recently helped move a small sailing yacht, it was virtually impossible to move fore and aft let alone from port to starboard without something either designed to trip you up or decapitate you preventing movement and as for getting on and off.
Give me a motorboat any day, hand over the cash turn the key and point , err thats it really, as for any actual preparation, a trip round the M25 in any car will provide the basic skills required.

sarabande

Visit site
A few years back, a relation of mine had two old cars that he classed as classic. They were housed in an open barn in a country area. Two youths decided to smash a couple of them to bits. Unfortunately for them, he had CCTV cameras that filmed the whole event. He then took some rather courageous action. He put the whole incident on the internet and within a couple hours he new their names and locale where they lived.

One of the father's contacted him, incredibly apologetic, stating that his son had now learned his lesson etc. and would pay for any damage. Incredibly, the second father made contact but could not see what the problem was and didn't offer any money.

I'm not sure what came of it all after that, but the first father was very keen to avoid police involvement . God knows what the legal implications are of posting footage on the internet,

5 or so years ago we had an industrial rural premises broken into and £5k damage caused. CCTV showed 3 youths clearly smashing things and chucking oil into the adjacent river.

We put the video on the internet, and within a day had over 20 identifications of the 3 names. Took the names to the police.

5 months later, they were in court, fined IIRC £50 each and bound over for 6 months. They have not paid the fines as far as we know.

I suspect that Facebook is a better place for posting pics of scroats. I'd post pics of their faces in the context of the breakin and ask if they would like to help the police with their enquiries.

New Boater

Visit site
In the past when somewhere hot I've hired one....trouble was after ten minutes I was bored sick and brought it back........... but of cause I can read and write......
You need to work on your spelling though. Lol.

I had a JetSki years ago. I used it responsibly and took the kids out on it and generally had a great time on it. I did find myself doing boaty things on it in the end, cruising out to the wind farms and the gun emplacements and having a sandwich a drink and bit of fishing.

I have come across some complete knuckle dragging dickheads on Jet Ski’s in the past. Got to the point where I didn’t want to be associated with them and felt embarrassed putting it in the water so sold it.

Buying a boat now. Far more civilised.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
It does seem that film footage can assist the police.

I find it difficult taking pictures and recordings using smartphones though in daylight. Particularly when the sun comes out.

Any tips on how to see better would be welcome.