Jabsco Freshwater Filter

asteven221

Visit site
I've had one of these waiting in a locker to get fitted for about 7 months. I am going to do it this week. My intention was to fit near the galley tap as that's the drinking water tap, however it looks a bit of a pain to fit it there. It would be easy fitting it where the freshwater pump is fitted.

My question is, will it make any difference where it's fitted? I was thinking that it might restrict the flow to the shower. In case it makes any difference to any advice, the pump is a Flojet 12.5 LPM and serves the tap in the galley, 2 x toilet taps and the shower.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

BGW

www.marina.ie
I've had one of these waiting in a locker to get fitted for about 7 months. I am going to do it this week. My intention was to fit near the galley tap as that's the drinking water tap, however it looks a bit of a pain to fit it there. It would be easy fitting it where the freshwater pump is fitted.

My question is, will it make any difference where it's fitted? I was thinking that it might restrict the flow to the shower. In case it makes any difference to any advice, the pump is a Flojet 12.5 LPM and serves the tap in the galley, 2 x toilet taps and the shower.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I have one under my sink, and I do not notice any flow problems, but I would question how long the cartridge would remain effective if filtering all the water that you use on the boat rather than just the cold water tap in your sink.

asteven221

Visit site
Thanks Brian. How long the filter would be effective crossed my mind as well if filtering all water. I wonder what others think?

DAKA

Visit site
if you really want to know what I think then dont waist your time fitting it, I had one and changed the filter every year for 6 years but never drank the water.

Are you really going to drink water from your tank knowing it has been filled from the same hose I rinsed out my holding tank with and gutted the fish :eek:

(dont worry I havent really done that but I have lost count how many times I have seen it done.)

Boil your water for tea/coffee or drink bottled water out the fridge.

asteven221

Visit site
I have drunk the water for tea/coffee zillions of times and not died yet.

I do agree with what you are saying in a sense that there must be all sorts of dodgy stuff in the fresh water tanks. Still, it's not done me any harm - well yet!

What do others do? Bottled, tap or tank?

I have not noticed many people with bottles of shop water in their trolley en route to the boat, and neither do I see people running to the marina taps to fill the kettle either. My assumption is that they are drinking tank water.

BGW

www.marina.ie
I have drunk the water for tea/coffee zillions of times and not died yet.

I do agree with what you are saying in a sense that there must be all sorts of dodgy stuff in the fresh water tanks. Still, it's not done me any harm - well yet!

What do others do? Bottled, tap or tank?

I have not noticed many people with bottles of shop water in their trolley en route to the boat, and neither do I see people running to the marina taps to fill the kettle either. My assumption is that they are drinking tank water.

I have a 100 gallon s/steel tank for fresh water and it gets filled many times a season. - With the Jabsco filter we have drunk water from the tap (both boiled and straight from the tap in cold drinks) for three years with never a hint of a problem.

We only fill our tank from our own hose though.

DAKA

Visit site
getting a bit personal now demanding to know what everyone has in their trolleys :D

If you had a nose around in ours you would find a 5L morisions spring water buried beneath 2 cases of beer, 1 case of Gordons G&T, 1/2 case of Bubbly and a lemon.

If we are going for a long weekend I might add another 6 x 500ml of lidl spring water.

The 99p 5L morrisions spring water has a screw top and is refilled from the tap at home once a month.

If we run out of spring water I boil the kettle at night and top the 5L water bottle up in the morning (not being tight just find it heavy to carry from the shops).

G&T is a good source of quinine (prevents cramp induced by anchoring).
The lemon is to keep skurvey away on long passages.

BGW is wise to use his own hose, MDL came close to taking their hoses away due to this problem.
I read a couple of years ago that e coli was reported to have been found in 7 out of 10 dockside hoses.

Last edited:

kid's inheritance

Visit site
I have no knowledge of that filter but I do supply filtration for medical applications so this might help.To remove "bugs" the final filter needs to be 0.2 micron.Even with potable water these block very quickly so tank water will do so almost immediately,especially an old tank with an established biofilm (like tartar on your teeth) .To protect the final filter , you can either have a graduated one or a **** catcher (5 or 10 micron ) upstream.
However, the final filter will need replacing less than 6 months as it will (obviously) harbour millions of (normally) Pseudomonas and these can deform through the filter in time making the problem worse than no filter at all.If you aren,t scrupulous in hygenic changing of the final filter, you will have bugs on the downstream side so again , they now have a nice nesting ground to replicate (the filter)
IMHO you would do better to boil or use bottled
Regards
Rob

BGW

www.marina.ie
I have no knowledge of that filter but I do supply filtration for medical applications so this might help.To remove "bugs" the final filter needs to be 0.2 micron.Even with potable water these block very quickly so tank water will do so almost immediately,especially an old tank with an established biofilm (like tartar on your teeth) .To protect the final filter , you can either have a graduated one or a **** catcher (5 or 10 micron ) upstream.
However, the final filter will need replacing less than 6 months as it will (obviously) harbour millions of (normally) Pseudomonas and these can deform through the filter in time making the problem worse than no filter at all.If you aren,t scrupulous in hygenic changing of the final filter, you will have bugs on the downstream side so again , they now have a nice nesting ground to replicate (the filter)
Regards
Rob

I don't doubt what you say is possible, but my boat is 30 years old, the tank is original, it has 'lived' in several countries before I bought her (3 years ago) and I have changed the filter once per year as described on the filter.
We have never had an issue, and neither have any of the guests we have had on board, so I doubt its a guaranteed problem, but more of a possibility.
I will change to bottled/boiled water if and when I notice any issues, but in the mean time I like the convenience of the way I use it now.

DAKA

Visit site
some people manage to evolve an immunity/tolerance to prolonged e coli contamination , the only symptoms are having difficulty with reasoning and becoming unreasonably argumentative.

:D not meant as a serious post

Last edited:

asteven221

Visit site
Regards
Rob

I thought that the water treatment tablets that we use are for killing the bacteria. Then the filter is added to get rid of the bigger items like bits of tank debris? We also boil as we are either cooking or boiling for tea/coffee.

Just found a long thread from a while ago on this subject. If that thread is representitive then nobody seems to have any problems with water from the tank for making tea etc... as long as some basic precautions are taken.