I've got gunk in my hole

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
You need to be very, very brave and just do it.
I’m not brave and I do it regularly. You’d have to sit and watch the fountain for an hour or more before you sank and no one in their right mind will do that.

A hand over the hole will stop the flow if you drop the blanking cap. A sponge jambed in the tube reduces the flow to a trickle.

It’s really not a problem.

I admit I’ve got a crew who I have to suggest he goes on deck and doesn’t watch when I clean ours. He’s got a real phobia about my cleaning the log.

PS The Raymarine ones have a flap that’s supposed to close and reduce the inrush. They’re actually designed to be regularly removed and cleaned. The flap ‘sort of’ works but there’s a brief inrush before it closes.

johnalison

Visit site
Modern logs have a valve that shuts off most of the ingress. On our old boat there was a box round the unit that held sufficient to be reassuring. I found the easiest way was to use a sponge to close off the hole before putting in the blank, but others seem to prefer their hand. With practice very little water gets in. The pressure is only coming from some inches of depth anyway.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Modern logs have a valve that shuts off most of the ingress. On our old boat there was a box round the unit that held sufficient to be reassuring. I found the easiest way was to use a sponge to close off the hole before putting in the blank, but others seem to prefer their hand. With practice very little water gets in. The pressure is only coming from some inches of depth anyway.
By the time one had messed about with the sponge, I would have thought it would have been quicker to just put the bung in.

Refueler

Visit site

Inches ?

My 25 - the log is just over 2ft immersed ..

My 38 - the three are about 3ft immersed ..

Still not so bad to pull while afloat - but a sponge would never survive ....

johnalison

Visit site
Inches ?

My 25 - the log is just over 2ft immersed ..

My 38 - the three are about 3ft immersed ..

Still not so bad to pull while afloat - but a sponge would never survive ....
Wrong places obviously. Move them. Mine have been not far from the forefoot. I may have exaggerated a bit, but no more than a foot or so. I did once have a log ahead of the engine, but that was electronic and didn’t need attention.

Refueler

Visit site
Wrong places obviously. Move them. Mine have been not far from the forefoot. I may have exaggerated a bit, but no more than a foot or so. I did once have a log ahead of the engine, but that was electronic and didn’t need attention.

Please tell me you are not serious ???

My 25 - I have actually had her heeled enough to have the log aerate. The log is slightly offset from centreline due to the angular form of the hull between the keels.
The 38 - are around the centreline just ahead of the fin keel.

Both are sail-boats and reason for TWO logs - is again that fact of heel ....