I've got gunk in my hole

Euphonyx

Visit site
Soo.. the paddle wheel and hole for the paddle wheel of my speedo always get blocked after a month or so. What measures do you take to try and prevent this? Does PTFE spray work? Silicone spray maybe?

westerlylad

Visit site
I've tried painting each face of the paddle wheel with a thin coat of anti-foul. It seemed to help a wee bit. I'm not sure if it affected the spin speed of the paddle wheel due to a little extra mass.

Stingo

Visit site
Google hasn't helped me find it, but there is a varnish with a very high concentration of tin in it, which worked well for my wheel and underwater lights.

Damned expensive. Your local chandler should be happy to swipe your card in exchange for a tiny pot of the stuff

Stingo

Visit site
Google hasn't helped me find it, but there is a varnish with a very high concentration of tin in it, which worked well for my wheel and underwater lights.

Damned expensive. Your local chandler should be happy to swipe your card in exchange for a tiny pot of the stuff
A bit more googling and I see that tin in antifoul paints is now illegal, so it's very unlikely you'll find any.

peterhull

Visit site
I tend to take mine out when we get back to the mooring as part of the put the boat to bed process. Just need to remember put it back in place before we head off again the next time we're out.
Yes we used to do that but it's a bit nerve racking, removing the paddle wheel and inserting the blank and vice versa when you want it in place again

jwilson

Visit site
Clean well then spray with either PTFE or Silicone. Normally last 2 months, then needs repeating.
If that worked in Falmouth I'd eat not only my hat but the colony of micro-shrimps and general gunge that sets up camp in the (lightly antifouled) log impeller within a fortnight of non-sailing. They hang on like grim death and at the very least slow the rotation down.

I take out the impeller if boat is not in use for any period over a few days. You really, really are not going to sink even if it took you 2-3 minutes instead of the 2-3 seconds it takes to put in the blanking plug. With practice, probably a single second of inflow.

Refueler

Visit site
Hows this .....

zmLUlSLl.jpg

Thats one side - other side is same ...

vZgxpGZl.jpg

Boat has two impellor logs and two sonics ... and depth in centre ... all covered !

0DhdIPHl.jpg

Daydream believer

Visit site
If it was just a sonic & no paddle could you put a condom over it? Once the barnacles built up you could just change it. Surely the signal would not be affected.Most of these units have a neoprene sealing ring half way up the shaft so the condom could stop at the ring
Obviously this would not work with a paddle wheel, unless you wanted to leave the paddle in for a period of time ( Mislaid plug or cap etc)then remove the condom prior to sailing.
No dirty jokes please, I was being serious :rolleyes:

Refueler

Visit site
My Sonics are strange as they are very narrow ... literally width of a thumb. They are fixed and a metal protective bar extends over top of each ...

I have no idea how to extract .. I have a feeling they may exit OUT - not into the interior ! TBH - we can't even fathom out what they are connected to ...

Tx06WrCl.jpg