Is this normal?

Paulfireblade

Visit site
We have a Jeanneau 34.2 2001 new to us which has been well maintained and had a new Volvo D1-30f engine professionally installed 2013.
When we use the engine there is an engine smell down below which does go after we stop but our bedding in the aft cabin has a definite engine smell on it when we get home.

I must admit I don’t really notice it that much whilst on the boat other than getting an occasional whiff when in bed in the aft cabin but my wife is a bit more sensitive than I am and is aware of it a bit more.

Is this something you get used to bearing in mind you only have a cover between you and the engine in the aft cabin or does this warrant more investigation.

We would be interested in your feedback.

Paul & Jane

Paulfireblade

Visit site
Thank you, so much for quick responses.

So, definitely no leaks of diesel or Oil, bilge bone dry and clean and so is the engine which to be fair you could eat your dinner off it.

My wife thinks it is diesel exhaust smell, and when we had an underground gas leak in our road she was the first one to notice it and I was very sceptical when she rang up but an hour later the road had been dug up and the gas had been capped off due to a leak so perhaps best to go with her prognosis.

so presumably that means to check for a leak before raw water and exhaust mixed as no water present?

Moodysailor

Visit site
Check also if you have any intake vents or fans in that area, sometimes what can appear to be a smell from inside the boat is actually a well-meaning air intake or fan that is drawing exhaust back in from outside.

Being a water injected exhaust, it should be easy enough to check. If the leak is after the exhaust elbow and the transom outlet you should be able to find a trace of water directing you to the leak. The exceptions here are if the leak is before the water injection part of the exhaust elbow (should be evident by soot deposits around the heat exchanger), or the upper part of the water-lock as that is usually in air.

The only areas where exhaust exists without water mixed are 3 places, before the injection elbow, a small area at the top of the water-lock, and after the transom outlet. Good luck!

Oily Rag

Visit site
When you say that the boat is new to you, that the engine was installed in 2013 and that you could eat your dinner off it, you remind me of an occasion when I mistook the smell of new paint being heated for something more serious. Has the previous owner touched up the engine with the wrong paint by any chance?

Paulfireblade

Visit site
When you say that the boat is new to you, that the engine was installed in 2013 and that you could eat your dinner off it, you remind me of an occasion when I mistook the smell of new paint being heated for something more serious. Has the previous owner touched up the engine with the wrong paint by any chance?
The paint looks factory applied tbh

pvb

Visit site
I am familiar with auto diesels but lots of extra unusual bits on a marinised engine.

That's a good starting place. The marinised engine has a heat exchanger, a water-injected exhaust elbow, and (usually) a muffler/waterlock somewhere in the exhaust hose. Not too many things to check. I'd be surprised if there's any significant engine issue. I also have a D1-30, new in 2014, and it's been no trouble at all.

Paulfireblade

Visit site
That's a good starting place. The marinised engine has a heat exchanger, a water-injected exhaust elbow, and (usually) a muffler/waterlock somewhere in the exhaust hose.
When I looked at engine I was surprised to see what looked like a muffler connected with reinforced rubber hose feeding it about 2-3 foot from engine but presumably water is already mixed with gasses by then so not too hot for rubber? So would I not have traces of water present if muffler connections leaking or would muffler get hot enough to evaporate the water.?

there are also two big bore pipes not connected to anything which presumably provide some ventilation.

sounds like I need to run engine with all the covers off and see if I can feel any escaping gasses.

thanks for the help.

pvb

Visit site
When I looked at engine I was surprised to see what looked like a muffler connected with reinforced rubber hose feeding it about 2-3 foot from engine but presumably water is already mixed with gasses by then so not too hot for rubber? So would I not have traces of water present if muffler connections leaking or would muffler get hot enough to evaporate the water.?

Yes, the rubber pipe is fine as the exhaust has had water injected into it. I think it's possible for a leak at the top of the muffler to emit gas but no water.

there are also two big bore pipes not connected to anything which presumably provide some ventilation.

Yes, most installations have ducting to bring fresh air in.

parbuckle

Visit site
Worth giving gearbox oil a sniff if for some reason it overheats especially ATF it discolours and has a burnt smell I know because I was advised it is ok to run gearbox in astern mode but later was advised to fit oil cooler,I did neither but changed to r/h prop

ianat182

Visit site
Could be possible delamination of exhaust pipe; water flowing,but exhaust through the rubber pipe laminate instead of mixing with it. Needs checking all the way through the anti syphon bend.

ianat182

Tranona

Visit site
The muffler is partly filled with water, but the inlet exhaust connection is above the waterline. That would be the first joint to check for tightness. Gas could leak out of there without water coming out. The exit pipe has water under pressure from the exhaust so leaks there would probably have signs of water coming out.

There are potentially 2 types of watertrap/muffler. A moulded plastic one or the Volvo large diameter rubber tube with metal ends.