Is there a security risk naming a tender?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think Vic (Sailaboutvic) might have a story to tell about whether chaining the engine to the dinghy and the dinghy to the dock is a guaranteed anti-theft solution. ;)

Richard

Not going to tell the long story here mainly because it's too hot and I want to go for my morning swin ,
But an chain and lock doesn't stop some one who wants to take you dinghy or move it to make his/ her point .
Although luckily for Nornbiron who had his dinghy lines cut by some very nice guy ( NOT ) his chain did save the day .
My TT is under my dinghy cover so no one can see which boat it's from . Non do I want them to see .

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
I think it depends on where you are cruising. In 'our' area (currently Algarve) the nautical crime rate is I believe, very low and I note that almost everyone has their dinghy named either Aux.......(continental style) or T/T........ (British Style). Very few owners chain their dinghies to the pontoon where we go ashore.
Slight thread drift here; we are about to take delivery of a new 2.8m dinghy. I won't say what it is as it is a bit radical - let's see how it performs first. What suggestions how to put the name on?

Cheers,

Michael

GrahamM376

Visit site
I think it depends on where you are cruising. In 'our' area (currently Algarve) the nautical crime rate is I believe, very low and I note that almost everyone has their dinghy named either Aux.......(continental style) or T/T........ (British Style).

Portugal is pretty safe and usually it's visitors who do the thieving. Beware once in Andalucia though, they have dinghy theft down to a fine art, even off the boat while you're asleep.

mariadz

Visit site
We have a different name shown on parts of he tender (the console) and the t/t on the inside of the transom. We hoped that that this would overcome any issue with people looking for empty boats but also keep within any rules about it being a tender.

We have a droping swim platform, high top sides and we will have brat nets too which I hope will also discourage people trying to get on board the "mother" ship.

emandvee44

Visit site
In msg 24 I asked how to put the name on (neatly). I was in plymouth force 4 last week and they had special paint kits for dinghies but i did not want to risk it on ryanair, having been caught before with other banned substances. (Not what you think��)
Any suggestions welcome.
Michael