is there a reason why I should renew my SSR?

Woodlouse

Visit site
I couldn't comment on that one way or the other, except to observe that the IoM is also neither EU nor UK, and I've never heard of British registration papers for a leisure vessel being requested there.
I doubt any red ensign flagged boat will get asked for registration papers in the CI's but I'd wager it's technically required.

I'd also say its worth keeping for the French douane as mentioned just incase you get stopped coming or going. There the ony ones who will ask anyway if you go to France. I've never been asked for my registration by a harbour in god knows how many years of cruising Britanny.

GrahamM376

Visit site
I couldn't comment on that one way or the other, except to observe that the IoM is also neither EU nor UK, and I've never heard of British registration papers for a leisure vessel being requested there.

No, we never been asked for papers in IoM but there's often a difference between what's asked for and technically what one should have - I don't know the answer. As far as C & E are concerned, the CI are foreign so maybe SSR is a good thing to have and, as others have said, not far out of French coastal waters.

PhillM

Visit site
I wonder if the question shouldn't be " is there a reason not to have... " of all the things we brass up for an SSR is not going to break the bank. So, why not have one?

Bathdave

Visit site
Whilst it doesn't answer your question, I thought I may 'flag up' (boom boom) that jersey is within the SSR system...my boat is registered in Jersey and on the SSR and the Jersey government issues and renews SSR papers.

stephenh

Visit site
Another reason for having an SSR is this:

If you leave say, Alderney, heading home for the Needles, then the first six miles or so are CI waters;so far, so good.

However, before you hit the English side of the Channel, there is a sneaky 3 or 4 mile wide strip that is under French territorial admin. (it might be called the 'English Channel' by us but it is divided down its centre line between us and the Froggies).

Here, in this narrow strip of water, the bored French douanes hang out ( especially on sunny Sunday afternoons !) and jump on the likes of the OP with great glee.....

So beware and good luck......

macd

Visit site
IIRC the CI are not part of the EC or UK so presumably are counted as foreign so registration will be a requirement.

From Asst HM ( St Peter Port), re British citizen(s) on British vessel: We do not require Small Ships Register to be presented on arrival

From Assistant Registrar of British Ships, Port of Guernsey:
Vessels visiting the Channel Islands from other British territories will not normally be asked to present registration documents on arrival. Those vessels arriving direct from the UK will normally be considered to be on a domestic voyage.

lw395

Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the last person to sail for Alderney and end up in Cherbourg.....
The SSR is worth it to go to St Vaast, and places further west.