Is there a real difference between single handed mobo and sail?

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
I have been watching the single handed thread on here with interest as i mostly single hand on Still Dunno these days.

I plan my passage with caution...
have everything to hand in the cockpit...
tell lots of people where i am going and ETA including the coastguard sometimes.......
fenders/lines left secured in position on both sides of boat......

I would not consider a North Sea crossing single handed (or at least in company of other mobo's) but have done 5-6 hour journeys along the east coast.
I know sailing takes a lot longer as you travel at 1/4 of my speed so food would be a consideration....

am i over confident....even arrogant.......

I recently did a trip from Lowestoft to Ipswich in a head F6 which WAS scary but learnt a lot about me and the boat.....

Eventide26

Visit site
I wouldn't say so D3B.
Plenty of others have sailed, motored single handed over many distances and oceans, all with no ill affects.

Your approach seems both logical and practical, well planned, you obviously have the right mental attitude to it, as well as being safe in your own mind.

Go for it, and good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Adrian

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Doug

Not a great difference in preparation. Agree speed differential has an impact for faster mobos and maybe you are more weather dependant than sail as when the wind picks up I, to an extent, go faster at least until I reach hull speed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The longest single hand I have done to date is 13 hours but that will be increasing in the next couple of seasons with some overnight stuff too. Not done 'North Sea' singlehanded either, as I tend to sail down to North Foreland and cross where it is narrower as I am heading for Calais / Dunkirk and use the tides to full advantage. Hoping to do Ostend in one hit next season.

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Your approach seems both logical and practical, well planned, you obviously have the right mental attitude to it, as well as being safe in your own mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hang on, this is D3B we are talking about here /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(sorry Dougie, couldn't resist that one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Jomo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

so food would be a consideration....

[/ QUOTE ]

and tea Dougie.... I wouldn't be there to make it for you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, you should be OK, you take the important bits with the right approach