Is SSR registration compulsory?

ylop

Visit site
Not necessary if you will never leave uk waters. If you will leave you will need some sort of registration and SSR is generally the easy option. The other advantage is it “suggests” some sort of ownership and so may provide some comfort when you come to sell - but it really isn’t proof of that.

Sailing steve

Visit site
I stopped my SSR registration when a charge was introduced for doing so.

It used to be free and lasted for as long as you owned the boat but now it's £35 and only lasts five years.

Refueler

Visit site
I stopped my SSR registration when a charge was introduced for doing so.

It used to be free and lasted for as long as you owned the boat but now it's £35 and only lasts five years.

Its still cheaper than most countries ....

My Swedish Int. costs 50 euros for 2 yrs.

If I change to Latvian - it would cost me over 700 Euros but is valid till day I sell ..

Refueler

Visit site
When I had to change from SSR - as I no longer had UK residential proof .... I was not so amused ... at then a fiver a year was not exactly breaking the bank and gave me all I needed ... as well as keeping Latvian Authorities at arms length !! (Look up Comity).
I had to change and there was no way I was even going to consider Pt1 ... so I knuckled down to Latvian Registry ... which is for life, at that time was not expensive ,, but needed State Inspection ...
Its different now - rules the same - but costs have rocketed. Such that no-one wants to register here !! Latvians and people like me look elsewhere !!

Refueler

Visit site
'Tis indeed

But introducing the charge was another one of the pernicious little ripoffs that increasingly exist in Boatworld so I'll count swerving that one as a win.

7 quid a year for a document that covers you for sailing to other countries ?? A document issued based on your declaration - no inspection etc. ?

Ripoff ?? I regard Saturday 13th as a ripoff when I was required to pay 369kr for mooring in a marina that was CLOSED ..... toilets / showers all locked up. No services. That is about 35 euros ...

Alicatt

Visit site
First registration for our boats in Belgium were €58 for 5 years and renewal is free as long as there are no changes.
Waterway tax (waterwegenvergunning) is €112 for our 7.5m <20km/h boat, and €243 for our 11.6m >20km/h boat this is paid yearly

Paid €29 for one night's stay in Heusden in the Netherlands along the Maas, electricity was included as was water, toilets and shower, paid €25 the following night in Veghel town centre, water and electricity (50cents) were not included, toilets and showers were though but you had to bring your own WC paper.
The locks have places where you can tie up for free, usually it is 1x24 hour or 3x24 hour, but there are usually no services available.

Tranona

Visit site
I'm not objecting to the price, I'm objecting to the principle. Registration used to be free but now it's not,
There is no reason why the state should pay for something that is optional but has a value only to you. It was a mistake making it free in the first place. No doubt you will pay if you actually need it - that is when it has a value to you.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Many years ago - Driving licence in UK was free and without any test ... does that mean you will not take a Driving Licence ?
Is there a charge for a UK drivers licence? Not needed to change mine for a while.

The last person I knew who did not sit a driving test fought in World War II, some time ago.

Momac

Visit site
Is there a charge for a UK drivers licence? Not needed to change mine for a while.

Yes
I had to renew my photo id license this year as it date expired.
I guess you still have your paper license which presumably expires at age 70?

ylop

Visit site
Yes for a provisional, for a replacement if lost or stolen and when the photo are expires (10yrs).

SSR is more akin to registering a car. It costs £55 to register a vehicles in the U.K. If you had sufficient private land you could own a vehicle and choose not to register it on the road.

st599

Visit site

The last person I knew who did not sit a driving test fought in World War II, some time ago.
There's a charge every time you renew the photo card, which expires every 10 years.

Momac

Visit site
I just checked . At age 70 the license renewal is every 3 years . It is free if done online.
I guess if you still have the old paper license it will need to be changed to photo id at age 70 .