Is a ship's bell important?

G

They are required on larger boats

I'm not sure about smaller ones or at what size they become required. They are used during limited visibility.

G

Re: Is a ship\'s bell important?

One uses it to summon ones butler.

G

Is a ship\'s bell important?

It seems many small boats have nice brass bells with dangly ropes. What are they used for and should I fit one??

Bernie

G

Bernie. I have come to the conclusion that this is a load of bells anyway! Have we anything constructive on this website?

G

Re: They are required on larger boats

You are right. IRPCS requires them on vessels longer than 12 metres. They are used for the fog signal when anchored. Vessels shorter than 12m are required to carry a bell or "be provided with some other means of making an efficient sound signal".

Incidentally, I understand that the 12m limit is soon to be increased to 20m.

G

Bernie -- Apart from the reasons offered above, I guess it's important if you're a ship's bell, anyway.

ME -- Not for people like you.

G

In fog, at anchor.

Below 20m any efficient sound signal can be substituted. Try a pan plus spoon, or ghetto blaster on the cabin top.

Over 100m, some poor bugger has to ring a bell in the fore part, then run aft and sound a gong.

Size of bell and clapper are set out in IRPCS.

G

Re: In fog, at anchor.

I've got some nice musical wind chimes - will they do??

G

... and if you don\'t have one ...

... and the US Coastguard board you, you are liable for a '106', warranting "seizure and arrests using all necessary force", as the little note they give you encouragingly puts it.

Luckily we are 11.9m, and a frying pan & spoon seemed to be an acceptable substitute.

G

Re: ... and if you don\'t have one ...

The best substitute I've found is a Bruce kedge anchor. Hung from the boom and hit with a spanner, it has a beautiful bell-like note.

G

If I remember correctly

you have to blow the fog horn in the stern, then within a certain time limit, go forward and ring the bell in the bow. With a manual bell and only one person on watch, you are going to be very busy on a long ship.

G

Re: If I remember correctly

Blow the fog horn in the stern, ring the bell in the bow. Sounds like you'll be rolling your trouser leg up next!

G

Silly Bee! Where there's fog there's no wind. Not the sail-filling variety anyway. Ergo, the wind chimes won't work. Or am I confusing fog with fogies...?

G

Not true. At sea you are unlikely to get fog unless there is some air movement.

Inshore, radiation fog develops over the land, then moves over the sea. If there is any air movement stronger than a light breeze, then radiation fog is unlikely, but under dead calm conditions it may develop over the land but won't move over the sea.

Advection fog (found further out to sea) depends on warm moist air moving over a cooler sea. Again you must have air movement, but this time it can be quite strong. I've found advection fog banks in a F7 in the Thames Estuary.

G

You don\'t.

COLREGS say: A vessel at anchor shall at intervals of not more than one minute ring the bell rapidly for about five seconds. In a vessel of 100 metres or more in length the bell shall be sounded in the forepart of the vessel and immediately after the ringing of the bell the gong shall be sounded rapidly for about five seconds in the afterpart of the vessel. A vessel at anchor may in addition sound three blasts in succession, one short, one prolonged and one short blast to give warning of her position and of the possibility of collision to an approaching vessel.

Nothing there about sounding the foghorn before or after the bell. And I've always assumed that the short, long, short signal of the final sentence is intended more for the big ship than the small boat, since it allows her to use her big whistle rather than the much weaker bell.