IRC Rating cost changes for 2018 to benefit smaller boats ?

Ingwe

Visit site
But the "small boat" fees are still higher than this years, they have just put the bigger boats fees up by more!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have not raced for 40 years( it was OD racing plus EAORA) as I have been cruising single handed for years. However, I have had enough cruising & I have invested in some new laminate sails & there are some keen younger lads in our club who want to step up to cruiser racing. I did a couple of locally handicapped races 5 years ago & had good results.

I have had a look at the link in post 1 & cannot make out the costs. Can someone tell me how much the TOTAL cost of getting a 31 ft (Hanse 311) measured & rated comes to complete please.
As well as local I want to do the EAORA again. Might even like to try a single handed race in the Solent if they will have me.

Thanks

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
It depends upon whether they want an endorsed certificate or not. Endorsed certificates require the measurer to get involved but they're only usually required for the big regattas. Talk to the organisers of the events you want to do and ask if they will require an endorsed certificate from you.

There are separate certs for single-handing - generally means a lower handicap.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It depends upon whether they want an endorsed certificate or not. Endorsed certificates require the measurer to get involved but they're only usually required for the big regattas. Talk to the organisers of the events you want to do and ask if they will require an endorsed certificate from you.

There are separate certs for single-handing - generally means a lower handicap.

So i have to assume that I would immediately be excluded from a big event. I certainly am not going to start ringing every race organiser now in the possibility I might/might not want to race in their races next year as i have not got that far down the line yet. I just want to be in a position to go find a few races & give it a go again

Ok. so let's say a non endorsed cert & another for a single handed cert for the smaller events

Last edited:

Ingwe

Visit site
So i have to assume that I would immediately be excluded from a big event. I certainly am not going to start ringing every race organiser now in the possibility I might/might not want to race in their races next year as i have not got that far down the line yet. I just want to be in a position to go find a few races & give it a go again

Ok. so let's say a non endorsed cert & another for a single handed cert for the smaller events

If you don't need endorsed and are happy to accept the manufacturers original weight for the boat (which will be a good couple of hundred kilograms too light so your rating will be a bit too high) and can do all the measurements yourself you just have to pay the amount shown in the table times your hull length so assuming that you are about 9.5m it would be 9.5x11.5 = £109.25 for your main certificate and then 9.5 x 5.75 = £54.63 for a short handed cert if you wish to use different size sails when sailing short handed. You can download the instructions for all the measurements from the rating office website and then just have to fill out a spreadsheet with all of them on which you then submit to the rating office.

If you intend to take it more seriously then the boat will need to be weighed at which point you might just as well have all the measurements done properly and get an endorsed cert as the weighing is the biggest cost - if you go down this route I would email the rating office and they will normally put you in touch with your local measurer who will chat through the process with you. For measuring the sails the official measurer can do them, but they need a very large area to lay them out in which may be tricky depending upon where the boat is, but if the sail loft you use is certified to do official measurements then the easiest way to have the sails done is for them to quickly measure them whilst they are in for a service / launder over the winter.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That is not insurmountable. So now i need to find out what the EAORA want, Endorsed or otherwise, & what i need for Solent single handing.
Then i need to find out how much an endorsed cert costs . Cannot be cheap if it means weighing etc.

flaming

Visit site
That is not insurmountable. So now i need to find out what the EAORA want, Endorsed or otherwise, & what i need for Solent single handing.
Then i need to find out how much an endorsed cert costs . Cannot be cheap if it means weighing etc.

Just to clarify one point. You do not need to be weighed for an endorsed rating if your boat is a series production boat and you are prepared to accept the design weight.

contendersailor

Visit site
There are very, very few events that require an endorsed rating [Admiral`s Cup, IRC Nationals.....that kind of level] so for occasional racing the "standard" IRC rating will suffice. The IRC office keep a list of "Standard Hull Data" which is available online, so with a standard boat the form filling is easy. The HANSE 311, both keeel versions, is listed. Your sailmaker should have stored details of your sail sizes, again for the form. Sail measurement only required for endorsed rating. https://www.ircrating.org/technical-a-certification/standard-hull-data
W.R.T getting a short-handed rating, you only need one if your yacht is configured differently for 2H or solo racing [and you can only use the SH cert when specifically stated in the SI`s]. If your boat is one size fits all, then getting a rating is no problem.
I race exclusively solo and 2H, mostly Solent. Come on down and do some of the "Solo Offshore Sailing Club" races. We`re a friendly lot, socials both pre and apres race are important [with lashings of ginger beer!] and there is no membership fee or qualifications required to race [within reason]. Only race fees payable. Find us at http://www.offshoresolo.com/
We get a wide range of boats sailing, classed seperately. Your class would include Hunter Impalas`, Sigma 33, Contessa 26 so wide ranging. Sounds like a historic game show but "C`mon down!".
Regards, Tony [SF3200 "Mzungu" GBR8956R].

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
There are very, very few events that require an endorsed rating [Admiral`s Cup, IRC Nationals.....that kind of level] so for occasional racing the "standard" IRC rating will suffice. The IRC office keep a list of "Standard Hull Data" which is available online, so with a standard boat the form filling is easy. The HANSE 311, both keeel versions, is listed. Your sailmaker should have stored details of your sail sizes, again for the form. Sail measurement only required for endorsed rating. https://www.ircrating.org/technical-a-certification/standard-hull-data
W.R.T getting a short-handed rating, you only need one if your yacht is configured differently for 2H or solo racing [and you can only use the SH cert when specifically stated in the SI`s]. If your boat is one size fits all, then getting a rating is no problem.
I race exclusively solo and 2H, mostly Solent. Come on down and do some of the "Solo Offshore Sailing Club" races. We`re a friendly lot, socials both pre and apres race are important [with lashings of ginger beer!] and there is no membership fee or qualifications required to race [within reason]. Only race fees payable. Find us at http://www.offshoresolo.com/
We get a wide range of boats sailing, classed seperately. Your class would include Hunter Impalas`, Sigma 33, Contessa 26 so wide ranging. Sounds like a historic game show but "C`mon down!".
Regards, Tony [SF3200 "Mzungu" GBR8956R].

I have been googling Solo offshore & did fancy having a go at a couple. I seem to recall a Hanse 301 doing quite welll-- if I have the correct series
I have been in contact with officers of EAORA ( Used to do that in the 70's) & I need the full endorsed cert for seasons points to count or self cert for individual points per race. Cannot quite understand the difference. I will be meeting chairman in december to run through the safety details so will get the full SP then
Thanks

TLouth7

Visit site
I have been in contact with officers of EAORA ( Used to do that in the 70's) & I need the full endorsed cert for seasons points to count or self cert for individual points per race. Cannot quite understand the difference.

You can sail (and win) every race with the standard certificate, but would not be eligible to win the overall series (I think).