ipad which one?

Tam Lin

Visit site
If it's for your wife, then an iPad mini is what I would recommend. I love mine and I use it every day. All my friends have Apple.

I forgot to say earlier that I bought Mrs TL an iPad mini too. Just wifi as she only uses it in the house and money off when I doubled up the Tesco points, bargain!

She loves it and is on it at the moment as we are both sitting in bed being lazy and using our iPads. If you have the money then buy her one, you won't regret it!

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I have a Honda lawnmower and hate it for various reasons. I'm eagerly awaiting the time when it gives up the ghost so I can get a better one but unreliability is not one of it's faults so I'm stuck with it.
Back to iPads. Mrs M specifically says she doesn't want a mini - so that's out. I will try to find out (discretely) what she intends to use it for and whether 4G is necessary. I can't imagine she will want to carry it with her on shopping expeditions and the like so domestic only use is likely. I appreciate your advice, Vikky Spong, and can see that a mini would fit nicely in a ladies handbag.
I think my cunning plan to take it on the boat and use it as a plotter is unrealistic so will probably get myself a cheap Hudl or similar for that purpose. I already have Navionics on my phone so can download that onto an Android but that's a whole new discussion. This can be financed from the savings on non-4G ipad.

Birdseye

Visit site
Mrs Moron has strongly hinted that she would like an ipad for Christmas. I am pretty ignorant of such devices but have a feeling that some models would have some potential for use on my boat. Mrs M doesn't do boats. Which model should I get her?

You will get posters suggesting android. Ignore them ( and I use only android myself so no silly prejudices here) . The point is that Apple have designed their kit to be used easily by people who havent the slightest clue abour or interest in computers. They simply want them to work. So you will pay extra for this but SWMBO will be happy.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
You will get posters suggesting android. Ignore them ( and I use only android myself so no silly prejudices here) . The point is that Apple have designed their kit to be used easily by people who havent the slightest clue abour or interest in computers. They simply want them to work. So you will pay extra for this but SWMBO will be happy.

Wot that man said.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
For the same reason that streets are very easy to use, but a map helps you get the best out of them.

Stop using carefully chosen analogies that explain the situation logically. Anti-Apple is an emotional thing.

A strange thing happened to me yesterday, sitting browsing on my iPad a got a telephone call from the wife and the iPad said it was relaying it from my iPhone - I didn't know the iPad could do that, it wasn't a Facetime call or anything. Apparently the latest software means that if your iPhone and iPad are on the same Apple account and in range of each other you can use the iPad to make and receive calls - anyone know if this is true?

kennyh

Visit site
You've already said she wants an iPad.

So the question is which one / what colour / what spec?

Now you could keep guessing (and most likely get it wrong), but why don't you simply take her for a trip to one of Apple's retail stores, and let those nice friendly Apple Team Members hold your wife's hand and explain the differences / benefits of the different versions.

You can simply hold your tongue and hand your Credit Card over at the end of the conversation.

Everyone will be happy :)

Done!

Last edited:

BlueChip

Visit site
There is a new model iPad being released in the next few weeks. Expect it to be lighter and faster.

This means that some version of older models are now being discounted.

FWIW I have an iPad and bought SWMBO a Nexus 7 mini pad running Android.
She is not happy with it, for instance she watches stored programs using BBC iPlayer in bed, there have been big issues with iPlayer and Android with downloads getting blocky after about half the program.
Its a known problem but the BBC are slow to resolve it. Also IOS on the iPad is just so much nicer to use than Android, she is also getting a new iPad for Christmas, the Nexus can go to the boat.

Also I've previously used a Nexus 4 phone and now have an iPhone so I have direct experience of both o/s.

It pains me to say it, but I would now only use Apple kit, it really is just so much nicer to use.

My advice buy her the highest spec iPad you can afford, anything else you will regret.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I've made discrete inquiries which reveal that she does not intend to use it outside the house and doesn't want a 'mini' (despite the handbag argument), and wants a full sized iPad (not Nexus, Hudl or any other tablet). The choice is getting smaller she has previously rejected the 'Air' model so I'm just left with the memory size.