ipad which one?

alant

Visit site
There is a new model iPad being released in the next few weeks. Expect it to be lighter and faster.

This means that some version of older models are now being discounted.

FWIW I have an iPad and bought SWMBO a Nexus 7 mini pad running Android.
She is not happy with it, for instance she watches stored programs using BBC iPlayer in bed, there have been big issues with iPlayer and Android with downloads getting blocky after about half the program.
Its a known problem but the BBC are slow to resolve it. Also IOS on the iPad is just so much nicer to use than Android, she is also getting a new iPad for Christmas, the Nexus can go to the boat.

Also I've previously used a Nexus 4 phone and now have an iPhone so I have direct experience of both o/s.

It pains me to say it, but I would now only use Apple kit, it really is just so much nicer to use.

My advice buy her the highest spec iPad you can afford, anything else you will regret.

Also bendyer!

SimbaDog

Visit site
I've spent ages reading threads on Ipads & am still confused :rolleyes: I want one with GPS & understand that the ones with 3G have that, however the newer models don't seem to mention 3G :confused: So, does the Ipad with wifi + cellular 3rd generation have GPS? in specs it say's assisted GPS (but it say's that for the earlier Ipad 2 model that's listed as wifi & 3G) ??????????????

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Like you I am still confused but as far as I know wifi models (which I think is all of them) have GPS. Mrs Moron does not want 3G or 4G whatever they are but she doesn't want to use it as a phone. I've abandoned the cunning plan to take it on board Cobblers and am going to get a Hudl for that. I may be wrong in all this but I've at least got a plan now.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I've spent ages reading threads on Ipads & am still confused :rolleyes: I want one with GPS & understand that the ones with 3G have that, however the newer models don't seem to mention 3G :confused: So, does the Ipad with wifi + cellular 3rd generation have GPS? in specs it say's assisted GPS (but it say's that for the earlier Ipad 2 model that's listed as wifi & 3G) ??????????????

If it has a slot for a SIM card then it has GPS. ie wifi plus cellular is what you want if you want GPS.
You don't have to insert a SIM card if you don't want to. The GPS chip is on the same board as the Sim Card reader, but there is no need to insert a Sim.

Last edited:

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I was trying to keep it simple.Wi fi only models do not have GPS at all.The 3g/4g models that take a card do have GPS.You do not have to put in a card to use the GPS facility.It is said that if you have a card in the 3g/4g model then the GPS locks on faster from the phone signal for your initial position (some people call this assisted GPS).I have tried this with mine and found no appreciable difference.The GPS works fine without a card in.Mine works well even below decks.

Colvic Watson

Visit site

As has been posted many times in respect of the Ipad and Ipad mini only the 3G/4G models have the GPS.The wifi only models do not have GPS.

ditchy is as spot on as anyone can be. It's a frequent flyer on the forums and his reply should be made a sticky.