ipad which one?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Must be some problem with the Easyjet web site - in general there's no problem downloading PDFs on an iPad.

Pete

Yes, it's a problem with the Easyjet website. I have 50 or more pdfs on the iPad, in iBook. EJ tell me the only answer is a laptop or their app, which is not available for iPad! However, my son tells me that it will run, although in a strange way. I shall probably try that.

Monique

Visit site
I have an iPad2 and find it incredibly frustrating having been a lifelong Windows user. The latest frustration was printing our boarding passes for an Easyjet flight home. With iPad it is not possible to download the passes as pdfs, which I could then mail to the marina office to print for me. So I had to ask my son in UK to download them and mail them to me. Easyjet tell me they know that this is the case but I should use their app. The app doesn't run on iPad!

Get the iPhone app... no need to print...

:)

Monique

Visit site
FWIW...

I have a Mini 64GB and it is used for aviation and sailing. Recently sailed the boat from SOF to Turkey and it was brilliant running Navionics maps. Gives 7 hours constant viewing, many times that if the screen is blanked after usage.

For aviation use, we have 3 Yoobao chargers on board. Available from fleeBay. Approved by the CAA too.

For boat use, we have 2 Yoobao's. Frankly, even considering the iPad limitations, they are brilliant kit.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.409061475858788.1073741827.101771229921149&type=3

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
There are a few options coming up to Christmas.

Currently, the Nexus 7 has the best screen on the market, and the software is "stock android", it will also be getting the new Android L release in the new few weeks which will make it even better. Get the 32Gb one and if you can find an LTE version, that's nice for out and about use. All versions have GPS so you can use navigation on any of them.

The nexus 7 is very pocketable, you can slip it in a side pocket of a sailing jacket, back pocket of your jeans or inside pocket of a suit, its very slim.

Other option is the new Tesco Hudl 2 which has a full HD screen, stock android and an 8" screen though not sure on how updates are handled.

Final option will be the Nexus 9, due to be released in a few weeks time, a larger screen but not as pocketable as the nexus 7.

I would stay clear of iOS (Apple) due to the limitations in the operating system, some of which mentioned above, and the current bugs and vulnerabilities in the new iOS8.

ghostlymoron

Visit site

Currently, the Nexus 7 has the best screen on the market, and the software is "stock android", it will also be getting the new Android L release in the new few weeks which will make it even better. Get the 32Gb one and if you can find an LTE version, that's nice for out and about use. All versions have GPS so you can use navigation on any of them.

The nexus 7 is very pocketable, you can slip it in a side pocket of a sailing jacket, back pocket of your jeans or inside pocket of a suit, its very slim.

Other option is the new Tesco Hudl 2 which has a full HD screen, stock android and an 8" screen though not sure on how updates are handled.

Final option will be the Nexus 9, due to be released in a few weeks time, a larger screen but not as pocketable as the nexus 7.

I would stay clear of iOS (Apple) due to the limitations in the operating system, some of which mentioned above, and the current bugs and vulnerabilities in the new iOS8.
See post no13

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

There are a substantially larger number of bugs and vulnerabilities in the Androis OS!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
download the Kindle app.... its free, and you can download and store as many pdfs as you like!

Or the standard iBooks app, I have a great collection of pilot pages and books al downloaded as PDF's. Then prints wirelessly. It's not the iPad's fault that Ryan "if you book with us it's your fault" Air, doesnt do an iOS version.

There are a substantially larger number of bugs and vulnerabilities in the Androis OS!

I tried Android for six months, I wanted it to be as good but all I got was endless menus and sub pages and 47 options for every possibility.

Last edited:

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
Apple has far far more bugs than android, that's fact.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/What-a-surprise---iOS-8-has-higher-crash-rates-than-iOS-7_id60954

I would always recommend using a nexus device as it is streamlined and simple to use. Samsung is nearly as bad as apple for the endless settings menus.

If you want something that just works, get a Nexus. I think everything knows that for a seamless experience that is easy to use, there is nothing better. Google do the cloud best, always have, and having synced services, which require no setup, and automatic free backups for files and photos is where Google shines. As can be seen above, iPads have their issues which are problems fundamental to the limits of iOS. There is a common misconception that with Apple, things just work and that you are somehow paying for a better experience, the only thing you pay extra for is for someone in a shop to make you feel better about spending so much money, and it helps apple's profits. Apple's cloud backup is broken, expensive for end users and vulnerable to brute force attack. Unfortunately, these are concerns you do have to think about as these devices are so much tied into using cloud backup services.

Last edited:

boating Andrew

Visit site
iPad mini with 3-4G capability with Navionics loaded works really well. Download the free compass (Compass-Pro I think) for lat. and long. Note you do NOT need 3-4G enabled to receive GPS signals or lat. long. coordinates - but the non-3-4G iPad doesn't have the bits that allow it to talk to the satellites.

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
I have an iPhone and an iPad mini. Both fit into my handbag, which is important for a woman. I tether my iPad onto the phone for the internet. I'm a very satisfied Apple user, with no complaints.

Playtime

Visit site
You do not need a 3G iPad to get 'proper' GPS; you can use the cheaper wifi only iPad with an external bluetooth GPS. However, not all bluetooth GPS units will work. Apple use a 'special' version of bluetooth for GPS reception, just to make life difficult, and the approved GPS units are not cheap.

This is an extract from an Apple Support forum that makes the options clear

There are several Apple-approved external Bluetooth GPS receivers for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Check out the Bad Elf GPS Pro, Dual XGPS150, and Garmin GLO. They work with any generation of the iPad and add GPS functionality to Wi-Fi only iOS devices. Many pilots use them even with their WiFi+Cellular iPads to ensure they have a rock solid GPS lock at altitude and high speeds.
The GPS Pro has some additional features including a 100+ hour standalone datalogger, LCD display with backlight, and 16-32hr battery life. It also supports up to 5 iOS devices simultaneously.
[ disclaimer: I'm the lead engineer at Bad Elf ]

If you have the time and inclination the full thread is here -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4801732?start=60&tstart=0

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
I'm sorta surprised you are still pursuing the conversation re bugs and vulnerabilities.

iOS 7 still had 3 times the crash rates of android. Regarding vulnerabilities, I have already said about the 6 week update which goes to all devices, the google play services app that is installed on every android device has software protection,scanning and checks for all installed apps. Both platforms have vulnerabilities that appear from time to time though from looking at this years big news for mobile platform security, apple have been the ones playing catch up and still haven't fixed basic lock screen bypasses. Here's the official list of security fixes that they don't tell you about till after they fix them http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6441

Back on topic, your can get some great deals on the nexus 7 and iPad as both are end of line, new models coming out within weeks. The nexus can be picked up from Argos or pc world for led than £200 though I'd recommend the 32Gb one. The LTE version is a bit like hen's teeth, I had to get one imported for a friend recently, was £250 including vat charges.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have an iPhone and an iPad mini. Both fit into my handbag, which is important for a woman. I tether my iPad onto the phone for the internet. I'm a very satisfied Apple user, with no complaints.

I agree. The iPad is excellent and is the only computer I use when cruising for up to six months of the year, although I don't take my handbag. However, the caveat is that it is excellent provided you don't want to do the same things that Windows does straight out of the box without buying all sorts of additional software and apps from third parties.
Why did Apple think I would not want to print anything from my iPad?
Why can I not copy a document onto a memory stick or SD card?
Why do I have to go via Dropbox to transfer my info to my laptop?
Why can I not transfer photos from my camera to the iPad without buying an interface from somebody else?
I can think of lots more and no doubt the Apple experts will tell me many ways of carrying out these simple operations but all involve buying something else to do it, whereas my laptop does them all on its own.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Whenever I meet tech guys or my brother who's an ICT teacher and they talk about Apple, there's a particular turn of phraseology that I recognize here in a few posts; it sticks out a mile and you can caricature it as something like "you wouldn't catch me using one of those", I know Apple has its fans but Android seems to attract people like this, rebellious techie techs who are gonna stick it to the Apple man. Why does it matter to anyone what someone else uses as a tablet computer? It's like having an opinion about what sort of lawn mower someone uses.

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
I have an iPad mini and I agree that one of the advantages is that it fits into a handbag I don't have 3G because 95% of the time I'm using it somewhere with wifi. Don't take it on the boat.

Don't know what Mrs M's situation is but a big selling point of ipad for me was the ability to FaceTime kids and grand kids. I have come to hate Skype but Facetime is the bees knees.

roblpm

Visit site
Whenever I meet tech guys or my brother who's an ICT teacher and they talk about Apple, there's a particular turn of phraseology that I recognize here in a few posts; it sticks out a mile and you can caricature it as something like "you wouldn't catch me using one of those", I know Apple has its fans but Android seems to attract people like this, rebellious techie techs who are gonna stick it to the Apple man. Why does it matter to anyone what someone else uses as a tablet computer? It's like having an opinion about what sort of lawn mower someone uses.

I have a Honda lawnmower. I expect you have some inferior brand and are jealous. I wouldn't use anything else.

superheat6k

Visit site
Yes, it's a problem with the Easyjet website. I have 50 or more pdfs on the iPad, in iBook. EJ tell me the only answer is a laptop or their app, which is not available for iPad! However, my son tells me that it will run, although in a strange way. I shall probably try that.
If you want to store PDFs etc try Documents by Readdie, brilliant and free. Works directly with Dropbox. I carry about 250 books and other docs in Documents that are always available with or without wifi or 3G, with around 1,000 on Dropbox.