Inverness - swaging

NorthRising

Visit site
Anyone know of someone north of Perth who can swage terminals onto 3mm wire [Caley no longer have the staff and P.G. rigging don't have the dies for use with 3mm wire.]

jamie N

Visit site
I was 'chatted up' (concerning rigging only!) by a bloke at Inverness marina a few months ago concerning new rigging, but had already committed to Pete Guy. I can't remember the name, but I know the boat that he has at the marina, so I'll get back to you on Monday with a contact number and name, once the marina office is open. ? (y) ???????

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
You might like to consider buying something like this:
Steel Wire Rope Hydraulic Crimping and Swage Tool YQK-300 | Wire Rope Shop

At £130 inc VAT, too expensive for a one off, but if you have several to do, it may be comparable to what you pay a rigger rigger to do it for you.
You could also try Gael Force, not too far from Inverness Marina.
If this is a marine project, don't be tempted to use Aluminium ferrules, they won't last long. Use Copper, but you probably know this already.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Funnily enough, neither of the tools identified can do 3mm swages, as the OP says he needs.

Interesting though, I didn't know things like that were available at those prices.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Yes, I have one, it's vey good for crimping connection on to cables, but the dies are hexagonal, and wouldn't work for crimping a ferrule onto a wire to make and eye splice. It might work for using a single wire ferrule as an end stop.
I wouldn't recommend the kit for splicing wire.

jamie N

Visit site
Inverness marina weren't able to give me the number for the 'rigger' chap that I'd mentioned in post #3, on the grounds of privacy; fair enough.

JVL

Visit site
P
Inverness marina weren't able to give me the number for the 'rigger' chap that I'd mentioned in post #3, on the grounds of privacy; fair enough.
PG Marine Inverness , Pete is excellent and reasonable he used to work for Caley before he went on his own

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
When I took a second look at the spec' for:
Steel Wire Rope Hydraulic Crimping and Swage Tool YQK-300 | Wire Rope Shop
It seemed to be contradictory, the main text said 3mm to 10mm swaging.
The note at the end said it wouldn't swage 3mm.
So I emailed the supplier and asked the question.
This is the answer I got.
"It will do the ferrules in 3mm yes but not a swage fitting which is a different item altogether."
So, my comment stands, would do the job, but expensive as a one off.