Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chanelyacht

Visit site
I love that Ford are now saying leaving the EU would mean uncertainty.

A few years ago they moved Transit production from Southampton to outside the EU (Turkey) so that's "need to be in" argument blown, and even better, the EU helped pay for them to do it!!

Seven Spades

Visit site
I am pleased to know that the professional young generation who are running this country at present will not do what you are proposing or the UK will go bankrupt within a few years.

What do you mean, it is my belief that no tariffs will be applied at all on goods from the UK. We hold all the cards, it is not in the EU's interest to impose any tariffs so it won't happen. It is in everyone interest that the status quo is maintained. In the even that the EU tried to get nasty, we could import cheap cars from the US if we wanted to. Do you disagree with that?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Also, competitiveness encourages new technologies and high productivity and hopefully, new UK Yachting Companies will emerge from the ashes. Just think of the new technologies that can be used to manufacture 40ft yachts at half price of Bavarias, for example, new materials, or new production methods using additive manufacturing (3D printing).

Dream on!!!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I am pleased to know that the professional young generation who are running this country at present will not do what you are proposing or the UK will go bankrupt within a few years.

I admit I can only speak for the construction industry - but that is one of our largest
If you had to work with some of the degree students coming into industry you would certainly retract that statement. Our education system has stripped all the young of any intelligent learning whatsoever.
Basic skills such as what is 40/100 as a fraction - apparently it is a quarter. & if you got a 10% discount on some new clothes that were originally marketed at £100-00 the 10% would be £ 3-00 is just a sample of newly passed degree morons.
Quantity surveying degrees by the way. That is just a sample of of the idiots we are churning out. We do not have " young professionals" in any quantity capable of running anything. In fact the standard of management throughout the industry is so poor we can only cope by dumbing down the jobs into small processes & hope we get by.
If it is how the rest of the country works we have no hope. & from my dealings with some companies it seems it may be the case. But that is a subject for another thread

Last edited:

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I admit I can only speak for the construction industry - but that is one of our largest
If you had to work with some of the degree students coming into industry you would certainly retract that statement. Our education system has stripped all the young of any intelligent learning whatsoever.
Basic skills such as what is 40/100 as a fraction - apparently it is a quarter. & if you got a 10% discount on some new clothes that were originally marketed at £100-00 the 10% would be £ 3-00 is just a sample of newly passed degree morons.
Quantity surveying degrees by the way. That is just a sample of of the idiots we are churning out. We do not have " young professionals" in any quantity capable of running anything. In fact the standard of management throughout the industry is so poor we can only cope by dumbing down the jobs into small processes & hope we get by.
If it is how the rest of the country works we have no hope. & from my dealings with some companies it seems it may be the case. But that is a subject for another thread

Our Chartered Civil Engineers and Construction Management professionals who run the Construction Industry are are some of the best in the world. However, lets move on. We are already producing steel reinforcement made by additive manufacturing (3d printing) and it is used for prototyping at this stage. We are making many satellite and aircraft components using additive manufacturing and we now are looking into the car industry, so this is not a dream, it is happening. Competitiveness encourages technological innovation which benefits many industries including Yachting.

maxi77

Visit site

On the other hand having employed graduate apprentice engineers in several disciplines I have found excellent skill levels and more than a modicum of common sense as well. I was a pleasure to watch then move from nervous raw graduates to mature confident chartered engineers.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Our Chartered Civil Engineers and Construction Management professionals who run the Construction Industry are are some of the best in the world. .

Company i was freelancing for asked me to interview prospective candidates for project quantity surveying jobs. Now we are talking about jobs advertised at £40-60 K PA with people who are supposed to be qualified. Pretty average wage in this company & if I found a good one they would have paid £10 K more on my recommendation
90% could not read a tape measure. ( I bet a large number of your so called experts cannot either) A large number could not write an order for a replacement door to the office we were sitting in. 20% could not work out the area of a roof of 20M2 with a 1.5M2 cut out on one corner.
I interviewed about 30 in 5 months & management began to adopt some of my interview technique as it quickly sorted out the rubbish.
I recommended 2 for jobs & they were both quite young I admit & full of bounce. Only one accepted the job.

Apologies for the thread drift but our ability to provide suitable staff & management to enable us to compete on our own is paramount

MJWF

Visit site
" We hold all the cards, it is not in the EU's interest to impose any tariffs so it won't happen. It is in everyone interest that the status quo is maintained. In the even that the EU tried to get nasty, we could import cheap cars from the US if we wanted to. Do you disagree with that?"

I disagree- our hand on exit is weak. We are a small fraction of EU exports. To avoid EU splitting they will want to prove the UK made a mistake... therefore the EU will be as awkward as possible. The idea they will give us a free trade area like Ukraine or Albania is boloney. Those were set up by EU to avoid humanitarian and migration problems from those relatively poor countries. The only way we will get a FTA from the EU is by paying our dues (no rebate) and accepting free movement principles ... back to square 1.

They wont be stopping us buying cheap European cars they will be preventing us from exporting cheap British produce from UK so dont get your argument...

Seven Spades

Visit site
Well I don't believe that the goods we import from the EU are insignificant and if the EU was to impose import tariffs on goods we export to the EU we would reciprocate. Sadly I think if we vote to leave nothing will change because I think our stomach less politicians will agree to make a contribution in order to gain access to the EU. I think it is sad because we really don't need to be part of this mess. It is undemocratic, corrupt and flawed. If we leave I think the EU will be holed below the waterline and other countries will follow suite.

halcyon

Visit site
They wont be stopping us buying cheap European cars they will be preventing us from exporting cheap British produce from UK so dont get your argument...

All depends on the pound, little devaluation will cover duty, so product remains at same price, BMW are on the fence, most of their engines are made here, plus 60% of mini production.

Do we have any cheap imports from the EU ? how do you plan to cover the reduction in EU exports, over the last 12 it years has now reached a 10% deficit .

Brian

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
My concern is not the risk of leaving the EU, because the results of the referendum will be IN; however, my concern is the damage the referendum is causing to the economy. Investment has stopped, unemployment is going up, the value of the £ has dropped. The impact and damage to the economy will become obvious 4/5 months after the referendum.

Already, the prices for sailing holidays abroad have gone up as result of lower £. Some of you may say that exports will go up too due to lower £, however, exports have been reduced too, which demonstrates that productivity has been reduced due to the uncertainty.

CLB

Visit site
My belief is that the EU is failing anyway and sooner or later it will collapse. If Brexit hastens that collapse then I think that's a good thing. Once if happens all this talk of the EU teaching us a lesson becomes moot. We will set up trade agreements with individual European countries who will be very eager to talk to us in the aftermath. We will, after all, have had a head start and be in a better position than any of them.

RAI

Visit site
My belief is that the EU is failing anyway and sooner or later it will collapse. If Brexit hastens that collapse then I think that's a good thing. Once if happens all this talk of the EU teaching us a lesson becomes moot. We will set up trade agreements with individual European countries who will be very eager to talk to us in the aftermath. We will, after all, have had a head start and be in a better position than any of them.
I think that is wishful thinking, you would like the EU to collapse.
But realistically, are Germany France or Italy about to leave? Brexit would hurt the other EU countries, but it is more likely to make the core countries pull the remaining EU tighter together. They are already holding meetings about closer integration.

dom

Visit site
The EU referendum is basically a sovereignty question. In terms of the economics it's impossible to be sure of the outcome. The idea that Britain would soon be more prosperous outside of the EU is faintly ridiculous, as incidentally is the notion that Britain would spontaneously self-combust if it left. The story that other EU countries would gang up on Britain to try and hurt it following a so-called "nasty divorce" is simply "prol-food" designed by our very own elite (Boris &Co) to rouse the supposedly ill-educated masses.

From the EU's position, an isolated Britain could for example swiftly do a trade deal with Japan (which can incidentally produces everything Germany can) and perhaps grab large sections of its surrounding seas for the exclusive use of its domestic fishing fleet. It could also totally screw up European foreign policy/security simply by taking an ambivalent attitude to Russia. The notion that Britain would get a "Norway deal " is therefore comically foolish.

That said, leaving the EU is likely to bugger up the City thereby opening up a hole that something will in time no doubt come along to fill -- London has after all managed to do just that. But in that inter-temporal space there is the likelihood of a severe recession, rate rises and possibly a housing bust. I might point out that hiring in the City has already slowed to a standstill as companies await the 23 June result. If the vote is to leave, many of these firms will immediately stop hiring UK citizens and open up European offices whilst the highly uncertain exit negotiations slowly meander on.

I may sound like I'm arguing to stay, except voting for the current status-quo in light of the overbearing, incompetent and sometimes corrupt European Commission would require a giant clothes-peg attached to the end of one's nose. The fact is that the Commission badly needs reform, an anti-graft team and a material downsizing.

It's all very sad, but my sense is that if Britain chooses to stay and try to reform the damn thing it will tap into a powerful seam of support right across the region. That would in my personal view be by far the best option.

Last edited:

halcyon

Visit site
My concern is not the risk of leaving the EU, because the results of the referendum will be IN; however, my concern is the damage the referendum is causing to the economy. Investment has stopped, unemployment is going up, the value of the £ has dropped. The impact and damage to the economy will become obvious 4/5 months after the referendum.

Already, the prices for sailing holidays abroad have gone up as result of lower £. Some of you may say that exports will go up too due to lower £, however, exports have been reduced too, which demonstrates that productivity has been reduced due to the uncertainty.

That is short term, what to you plan to do with the EU trade balance, we have gone from a surplus in 2000/2001 to a 10% deficit
or around £50 billion, and the graph is on a steady downhill trend

Brian

KevB

Visit site
German car manufacturers sell £16.2billion more to us each year than we sell to them, French farmers sell us £1.37billion worth of wine and other beverages, £737million more than we sell to them. Seems obvious where the balance of power stands. They're not going to make trading difficult for us.

Not sure what I'm going to vote.

RAI

Visit site
It's all very sad, but my sense is that if Britain chooses to stay and try to reform the damn thing it will tap into a powerful seam of support right across the region. That would in my personal view be by far the best option.
+1. But we will need a proper policy and strategy and a good team of politicians and civil servants dedicated to the task.

KevB

Visit site
Getting back to the impact on the UK boating market..

There is no "young blood" buying boats, their priority today is a deposit for a mortgage not a few £K's worth of boating pleasure. With no new comers to the bottom end of the market prices have tanked and that ripples through the whole price range. Leaving the EU may make our housing more affordable allowing youngster to get on the property ladder and eventually start purchasing boats with their disposable income. Equilibrium between supply and demand is returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.