Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
To keep a focus on the yachting theme, Brexit may complicate the life of those who cruise long-term or keep their UK-registered craft in EU waters and as one who would be affected it is only prudent to have a contingency plan, however unlikely it may be (off the probability scale). Therefore, in that event, I shall define my 9.4m (31') vessel with my Italian harbour authorities as no longer British registered but Italian and buy an Italian ensign to wear. This is possible because only vessels of 10m and more can be placed on the Italian ship register, all others are whatever their owner claims they are. However, for such an old craft as I have, Italian officials are so laid back I wouldn't expect them to care anyway, let alone investigate.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It is far less significant for them than it is for us and therein lies the disadvantage.

E 54billion is not insignificant
However, if we place tariffs on imports from them, this will put our cost of living up & that will be bad for our economy, so tit for tat will not be the answer to that problem. The UK has always tried to trade on the basis of a free economy
I still want out though

RAI

Visit site
To keep a focus on the yachting theme, Brexit may complicate the life of those who cruise long-term or keep their UK-registered craft in EU waters and as one who would be affected it is only prudent to have a contingency plan, however unlikely it may be (off the probability scale).
How about Irish registration?

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
How about Irish registration?
Hmm, I am a British national, live in Switzerland and keep my boat in Italy. Because I am proscribed from Pt III (SSR) registration (due to residence) I must pay for Pt I registration including a survey and yearly UK representative agency fees - big bucks.

I do not hold an Irish passport so probably wouldn't qualify but even if I did presume a similar scenario and costs.

Belgian registration is relatively simple and inexpensive and for a flag of convenience would be the logical way to go.

However, in Italy it would not cost anything - as I explained. If I want to sail to Croatia, as I do most summers, when declaring in and to claim Italian registration below 10m, all I need is an Italian engine registration, which they accept in lieu of a ship registration number for small craft. As I have recently had a new engine installed the company applied to the relevant ministry and provided that on handover. Problem solved.

Daydream believer

Visit site
President Obama has today announced his support for UK remaining in the EU. I suspect that this is because any upset in the EU economy that may arise will echo across to America. Hence self interest.The president went on to stress the "special relationship" we supposedly have - if memory serves me right this was not reflected when he came to power. He does not forgive us for our alleged treatment of his grandfather & Co in kenya.
However, what Boris, in his response, did not pick up on was the comment by the president that if we left the EU that we would go to the back of the queue to negotiate our own trade agreements. So what happens to the "special relationship" then?????
I suspect that the president of the USA is speaking with a forked tongue

dom

Visit site
However, what Boris, in his response, did not pick up on was the comment by the president that if we left the EU that we would go to the back of the queue to negotiate our own trade agreements. So what happens to the "special relationship" then?????

It would lay the ground for the UK to be fast tracked back to the top of the queue!!

My sense is that the Bexiters have so badly failed to made their case that the UK will almost certainly vote IN. And speaking of a forked tongue, surely we can include Boris in that category? :D

maxi77

Visit site
President Obama has today announced his support for UK remaining in the EU. I suspect that this is because any upset in the EU economy that may arise will echo across to America. Hence self interest.The president went on to stress the "special relationship" we supposedly have - if memory serves me right this was not reflected when he came to power. He does not forgive us for our alleged treatment of his grandfather & Co in kenya.
I suspect that the president of the USA is speaking with a forked tongue

But you forget that for the US business comes first then friendship. The US also has it's problems and no President will make them worse just to be nice to little old UK. That has always been the case.

halcyon

Visit site
But you forget that for the US business comes first then friendship. The US also has it's problems and no President will make them worse just to be nice to little old UK. That has always been the case.

I'm puzzled, does this mean USA only want to negotiate trade agreements with single large blocks, i.e. the EU, so were in the EU does the UK come with regard to trade deals ? Who negotiates EU trade deals and who controls distribution, or can we negotiate our own trade deals with the USA separate to other EU countries ?

Brian

Daydream believer

Visit site
Personally I cannot see why we cannot just say to some countries - The deal we had with you via the the EU was this- we will carry on with the same deal.
We may even get better deals over time if we dropped some of the tariffs we had against those countries over a period of time- assuming it suits us!
Job done!!

Babylon

Visit site
I haven't read ANY of this now long thread, but I was curious to see what the poll results would show. I had imagined quite a strong shift in favour of OUT amongst the brethren, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a fairly even split, in fact marginally in favour of IN, which is probably much in line with the national consensus at present.

I think a very useful subsidiary poll would be: "Do you vote according to pure instinct and emotion, or are you someone who carefully considers and weighs all the arguments before committing?"

Talking of voting, I must dash - the dog's farts are increasing in frequency, a sure sign that he needs a Donald! ;)

maxi77

Visit site
I'm puzzled, does this mean USA only want to negotiate trade agreements with single large blocks, i.e. the EU, so were in the EU does the UK come with regard to trade deals ? Who negotiates EU trade deals and who controls distribution, or can we negotiate our own trade deals with the USA separate to other EU countries ?

Brian

All depends on what you mean by a trade deal, if you mean buying for example a replacement to trident or any other commodity that will be between the 2 governments or in other cases the buyer and seller, if you mean the framework for international trade covering the likes of tariffs, acceptance of certification and type approvals etc then that is at present between the US and the EU, and there is a big negotiation going on at the moment hence the suggestion that if a non EU UK wanted to arrange such a deal with the US then it is very much a case of joining the queue.

halcyon

Visit site
All depends on what you mean by a trade deal, if you mean buying for example a replacement to trident or any other commodity that will be between the 2 governments or in other cases the buyer and seller, if you mean the framework for international trade covering the likes of tariffs, acceptance of certification and type approvals etc then that is at present between the US and the EU, and there is a big negotiation going on at the moment hence the suggestion that if a non EU UK wanted to arrange such a deal with the US then it is very much a case of joining the queue.

That was my worry, having spent a lot of time in the 60/70's when the firm I worked for was selling trailer under gear against French and German manufactures. Without robust negotiators/HMG fighting the UK corner 24/7 I see us slowly sinking, at the end of the day he who grabs the the bigger share of the EU pot wins.

Brian

Poignard

Visit site
(...) I was curious to see what the poll results would show. I had imagined quite a strong shift in favour of OUT amongst the brethren, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a fairly even split, in fact marginally in favour of IN, which is probably much in line with the national consensus at present. (...)
Yes, I was very surprised by that. Last time I looked it was 132 for in, and 129 for out. Not at all what I would have expected from The Lounge. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.