Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonyx

Visit site
Wow... I suppose it is nice to keep it simple though. That way its easier to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamesuk

Visit site
Calls for Juncker to be replaced by central EU nations who with some irony considering David's departure could call for a re-shuffle in Europe

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Money into Science and Engineering, for research and development has been very limited and largely ignored in the UK pre EU days. The EU has been pumping many millions each year to ensure that R&D delivers and is converted into engineering and science techniques applicable to the industry. Now are we going to go back to the dark ages where money for R&D was non existent; this is one of the reasons that engineering in the UK almost died out in the 70's.

dom

Visit site
All it needs is a decent British government that will do it.

It is up to us now, not them. That is how it works.

To that end 'decent' implies smaller, a government which focuses on its knitting and stops meddling quite so much in every aspect of our lives.

Bobc

Visit site

To that end 'decent' implies smaller, a government which focuses on its knitting and stops meddling quite so much in every aspect of our lives.

Well said

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Already, some of the players such as Rolls Royce, aero and nuclear, are very concerned that British research will be reduced, and they are taking action to move a lot of their interests abroad.

dom

Visit site
Already, some of the players such as Rolls Royce, aero and nuclear, are very concerned that British research will be reduced, and they are taking action to move a lot of their interests abroad.

It is simply not true that these companies are taking any immediate action whatsoever and one really must resist the temptation to conflate personal opinion with objective fact. These companies will have to wait and see like the rest of us.

BAE chairman Sir Roger Carr (a powerful Remain advocate) commented re Brexit:
"Unlike a lot of companies, the impact would be very small in terms of sales, we sell very little to Europe, but we have strong partnerships there."

On 28 June RollsRoyce issued the following somewhat nuanced statement: R-R will wait and see what happens, but that is just common sense.
"On Thursday 23 June in a referendum the UK voted to leave the EU. Although this is not the outcome the company would have chosen, Rolls-Royce remains committed to the United Kingdom where we are headquartered, directly employ over 23,000 talented and committed workers and where we carry out a significant majority of our research and development.

The UK’s decision will have no immediate impact on our day-to-day business. The medium and long term effect will depend upon the relationships that are established between the UK, the EU and the rest of the world over the coming years."

Last edited:

Neil

Visit site
Is that supposed to be a joke? Or are you a member of that minority of right wing, racist xenophobes, and proud of it? Anyway, I was British first and Irish second, though now I think I'll reverse that order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yes, MJWF, that's the size of it.

Has anyone given any thought to the EU nationals that have moved to the UK, bought houses, raised families and paid their taxes over the last few decades? Will a renouncing of the principal of free movement mean they will be forcibly repatriated? - going by some of the recent racist attacks, that's exactly what some of the Leavers expect (whether they are from the EU or not). How long a residence will count? Since the formation of the EU? or earlier - how many generations do they want to go back?

What about the British living in Europe? Will they have to go back? Will they be allowed to take an EU nationality? And what about our hols? Visa requirements to sun yourselves on a Costa or charter a boat in the Ionian? Liveaboards on a 90 day visa having to sail out of the EU and back to start another 90 days?

I decided to take Irish nationality when I was shamed by Blair taking us into Iraq, just too suck up to the US. I'm glad I did, because this whole business has reinforced the idea of a substantial and increasing minority of right wing, racist xenophobes that are giving the UK a bad name the world over.

"I just want England to be like it was, for English people" "We won the war and now the Germans want to tell us what to do!" " I want to buy any shape of bananas that I want"

Give me a break :(

Humm, absolute b....e , yes well 'project fear prevails is some unfortunate persons minds, unless of course they are an 'Agent Provocative' then its par for the course :-(

Euphonyx

Visit site
Is that supposed to be a joke? Or are you a member of that minority of right wing, racist xenophobes, and proud of it? Anyway, I was British first and Irish second, though now I think I'll reverse that order.

he's just a simple fool

Capt Popeye

Visit site

:encouragement:

There is a saying that does seem appropriate these days, but I think fell out of fashion when Clinton was, err, umm, well you know.

saying as -
better our Politicians keep f..kg each other than f..kg us

sort of thing :eek:

Neil

Visit site
Humm, absolute b....e , yes well 'project fear prevails is some unfortunate persons minds, unless of course they are an 'Agent Provocative' then its par for the course :-(

I have no expectation of repatriation, I used it as an example to illustrate the xenophobia expressed by some leavers and their unrealistic expectations, some of whom really do believe that it will happen. That video on the news of a young man suggesting to a fellow passenger, of African decent, that he should leave the country because 'We won the referendum", was rather disappointing.

What else do you have an issue with? You want small curved bananas too?

dom

Visit site
There is a saying that does seem appropriate these days, but I think fell out of fashion when Clinton was, err, umm, well you know.

saying as -
better our Politicians keep f..kg each other than f..kg us

sort of thing :eek:

Very apt, interestingly the German ordoliberal philosophy which sprang up in the inter-war years underpins the notion of Germany's social market economy (Soziale Marktwirtschaft). This in turn separates the German State from the country's assets of production in order to prevent the German Government from ever again sequestering them for the purposes of war.

This separation is enshrined in German Basic Law (Constitutional Law) and it is on this basis that German industry argues that the ongoing political battles over Brexit should be contained within the political arena and not allowed to spill over into areas such as trade.

They would just love to see the continent's politicians all locked-up in a big room in Brussels where they can do as they wish, leaving us lot to do as we wish outside ;)

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
It is simply not true that these companies are taking any immediate action whatsoever and one really must resist the temptation to conflate personal opinion with objective fact. These companies will have to wait and see like the rest of us.

BAE chairman Sir Roger Carr (a powerful Remain advocate) commented re Brexit:
"Unlike a lot of companies, the impact would be very small in terms of sales, we sell very little to Europe, but we have strong partnerships there."

On 28 June RollsRoyce issued the following somewhat nuanced statement: R-R will wait and see what happens, but that is just common sense.
"On Thursday 23 June in a referendum the UK voted to leave the EU. Although this is not the outcome the company would have chosen, Rolls-Royce remains committed to the United Kingdom where we are headquartered, directly employ over 23,000 talented and committed workers and where we carry out a significant majority of our research and development.

The UK’s decision will have no immediate impact on our day-to-day business. The medium and long term effect will depend upon the relationships that are established between the UK, the EU and the rest of the world over the coming years."

It is very true; I deal with these companies on the daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.