Immigration to Canada

martinwoolwich

Visit site
Not sure where to ask this question, but chances are you lot will have a better idea than anyone else.

I am hoping to move to Canada on a full time basis in late 2006 or early 2007. I have been told that I can take my boat with me as it is a personal possession and it will not be subject to any form of import duties.

I understand that the vessel will have to comply with all SOLAS and CE type regulations (not sure what the equivalent of CE is in Canada), and I also know that I have to get different qualifications to skipper the boat.... and yes I know about the change of bouyage and the power is different etc... my question is just concerning import taxes that might have to be paid on a UK boat coming into Canada on a permanent basis. I'm sure it doesn't make any difference in this context but the boat over here is fully UK VAT paid.

I have tried contacting Transport Canada but I was confused by their answer and just wondered if anyone knoew for a fact the position.

tcm

Visit site
Bad news

Unfortuantely, i know for a Definite Fact that even attempting to import a large powerboat will result in untold problems, and especially since your boat is 240V instead of 110volts there is no question that the best thing will be to leave it with me for safekeeping :)

davita

Visit site
The facility of bringing all your belongings to Canada free of duty and taxes is available to new immigrants. On arrival and been given your 'Landed Immigrant' status you then ask for the application to import the boat or car or whatever.
It is not available to visitors.
I did that 12 years or so ago. I bought a power boat in Seattle and kept it there until my status was confirmed, then sailed it to Vancouver.
I believe it would not be worth the trouble to import your boat from UK. Sell it for top Pound and buy the biggest/best boat you can afford in the US and import it the same way as I did. I believe they are considerably cheaper over here in North America and conform better to the technical environment. i.e. everything will fit!

BrendanS

Visit site
Martin is in a different position to most. His boat is big enough to take the trip from UK to Canada, so read big bucks, and not likely something he wants to sell then buy a trailer boat when there.

My reading of import is that 9.5% tax payable, but still researching before I comment. Best bet for the value of boat is to consult a candadian import specialst, as boat imports seem to come under car import law, and several loopholes and grey areas

davita

Visit site
If he is immigrating to Canada then there is NO Duty or Taxes on any belongings brought into Canada so long as they are declared at the Entry to Canada point.
This INCLUDES cars, boats, furniture or any other legal possessions, even if they are arriving later.
I know this because I did it when I immigrated from London.
If NOT immigrating and the boat was NOT manufactured in a NAFTA country; 9.5% Duty is applied then 7% GST and whatever PST that the Province of Licensing is added: here in BC, PST is a further 7%. Alberta does not have any PST.
I recently bought another boat in Seattle and as it was manufactured in Florida I paid 7% GST plus 7% PST to licence it in BC.

I note that the poster has a Fleming 55, very nice!
I searched Yachtworld.com and there are a few 1996-1998 similar boats for sale in the USA in the range UK Pounds 423,000-512,000, and a 1992 at 400,000.
Flemings are made in Taiwan therefore do not come under the NAFTA agreement so the 9.5% Duty would apply.
Please remember that if the English yacht was sailed over or a US one bought prior to entering Canada as a 'Landed Immigrant' and declared, then NO Duties or Taxes would apply.
What a deal!

AJW

Visit site
Agree. I emmigrated to Newfoundland, Canada last year. At the time of entry you have to declare details of all your possessions you are carrying with you or subsequently having shipped. You do not pay duty on these, however not sure whether there is any upper value limit for this. With an asset of this value I would have thought getting some professional tax advisor type help would be a good thing!

If you do decide to sell an buy again over here be aware of provincial tax (GST/HST). Here in the exotic Island of Newfoundland we pay 15% Harmonised Sales Tax (HST). Reasonable enough on buying new stuff I here you say but the rub is that every time you buy a second hand boat, car etc you have to go pay 15% AGAIN to the bloody provincial govt. Quite a hit on buying a Flemming 55 or equivalent over here. Again I imagine there are financing/tax options through company ownership etc as in UK which could help out here.

As an aside, I've been in Canada for 4 months now, in the depths of winter and still love the place. Just bought a house here that is far in excess of what I could afford in SE England. Only thing I miss is the beer!