Identifying my dinghy

moonxx

Visit site
Hi all I am new to sailing been out in red letter day sailing loved it but busy life has never let me keep going. I watch YouTube videos everyday couples sailing away all over the world. Now 64 but still fit have bought an old dinghy off a farmer were it has been abandoned for years. He doesn't have any details on it or what it is. It's definitely not a sloop fibreglass hull wooden deck with epoxy tape stitching. Round wooden mast with what looks like two positions for the mast squared bottom that fits into 18mm squared plywood bases approx a foot apart one boom I think and another piece approx same length but with two plywood triangles at one end. Can anyone help. Could it be a gaff cutter it 3m long and approx 4ft something wide. I have various sails in bags 1 definitely a job as it says it on the bag. A 2 stroke outboard and set of canoe orrs most of deck fittings are in a plastic box. Apart from that the hull is good and no rot on the deck. Any comments appreciated.

dunedin

Visit site
Yep, a Mirror dinghy. Ae you sure the hull is fibreglass, as most older Mirrors are wooden hulls - and the later GRP ones had GRP decks as well.
Nice little boats, but be careful with trailer as hull is a little fragile and some trailers with rollers can punch through the hull. A custom cradle supporting the full width is best.

Puffin10032

Visit site
As others have correctly identified it's a wooden Mirror. Despite what you claim, it is sloop rigged. The mainsail is generally referred to as being of Gunter design although some may argue that it's a Gaff mainsail. It was a very popular choice for small dinghies back in the day as it meant that all the spars could be stowed inside the boat. If you think sailing a dinghy is anything like sailing a yacht then you've got a very rude awakening coming.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
As others have correctly identified it's a wooden Mirror. Despite what you claim, it is sloop rigged. The mainsail is generally referred to as being of Gunter design although some may argue that it's a Gaff mainsail. It was a very popular choice for small dinghies back in the day as it meant that all the spars could be stowed inside the boat. If you think sailing a dinghy is anything like sailing a yacht then you've got a very rude awakening coming.
Mirrors are light, and surprisingly frisky😄. As you say, not much like your average lead mine. My earliest memories ate of my dad building one in the workshop at home. I was probably 2 going on 3. Learned to sail in it, I have a lasting affection for them.

Puffin10032

Visit site
Mirrors are light, and surprisingly frisky😄. As you say, not much like your average lead mine. My earliest memories ate of my dad building one in the workshop at home. I was probably 2 going on 3. Learned to sail in it, I have a lasting affection for them.

Those were the days when dads could make anything :) The Mirror allowed a lot of people to get into sailing. As you say surprisingly frisky. I hope the OP enjoys repeated, unexpected immersions in cold water.

ianc1200

Visit site
Re the rig design, the OP says there are two mast steps about 1' apart. I had a West 11 (more or less a copy of a Mirror) and this had the two mast steps too - I think this was so the mainsail only could be used with the mast in the forward maststep position, almost like an American catboat.

Stingo

Visit site
Re the rig design, the OP says there are two mast steps about 1' apart. I had a West 11 (more or less a copy of a Mirror) and this had the two mast steps too - I think this was so the mainsail only could be used with the mast in the forward maststep position, almost like an American catboat.
Spot on. With no jib, you could sail single handed.

dunedin

Visit site
Those were the days when dads could make anything :) The Mirror allowed a lot of people to get into sailing. As you say surprisingly frisky. I hope the OP enjoys repeated, unexpected immersions in cold water.
Mirrors are very stable. Even age 12 with a tiny girl crew and racing with spinnakers in strong winds, it was rare to mange to capsize one. As an adult I have never ever managed to capsize a Mirror.
But they aren’t fast either.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Mirrors are very stable. Even age 12 with a tiny girl crew and racing with spinnakers in strong winds, it was rare to mange to capsize one. As an adult I have never ever managed to capsize a Mirror.
I beg to differ
I borrowed my sister's Mirror, to teach my daughter how to sail. First go & we sailed away from the shore. Went no more than 150 ft & capsized. Wife & daughter were NOT impressed. Never tried again.
Put it back where hundreds of Mirrors were destined to live- In the garage loft.
Had to go & buy her & my son a cadet & let them learn by themselves. Which they did quite easily. :cautious:

Puffin10032

Visit site
You doubtless had a great deal of fun :) However you're looking at it from the perspective of a youngster with the agility and reactions of a cat who then carried over all the skills learnt into adulthood. Learning as an adult is a completely different ball game.

Stingo

Visit site
Assuming that you have enough adjustment in the shrouds are forestay ...

I can't recall ever seeing a Mirror rigged that way. Perhaps there's a good reason for that.
As a young brat, I had a mirror and regularly rigged it that way. Club rules for racing single handed vs with crew (IIRC, I was about 9 or 10 and the Commodore's daughter, also 9 or 10, was my occasional distraction/crew).

dunedin

Visit site
You doubtless had a great deal of fun :) However you're looking at it from the perspective of a youngster with the agility and reactions of a cat who then carried over all the skills learnt into adulthood. Learning as an adult is a completely different ball game.
Still a very stable boat with small sail area. We sailed round Gulf de Morbihan in West 11 version 5 up with loads of kid gear, and no scary moments even when wind got up strong.

dunedin

Visit site
I beg to differ
I borrowed my sister's Mirror, to teach my daughter how to sail. First go & we sailed away from the shore. Went no more than 150 ft & capsized. Wife & daughter were NOT impressed. Never tried again.
Put it back where hundreds of Mirrors were destined to live- In the garage loft.
Had to go & buy her & my son a cadet & let them learn by themselves. Which they did quite easily. :cautious:
Mmmmm. Could be the boat, or could be some other factor …………