Ideal spot for a marina?

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Portavadie is a damn fine marina....If I had the hair to straighten I would have used the hair straighteners there. With the exception of a the Duisdale 5 star hotel, PortaV's showers were the cleanest and the best we had in 3 months!

While we're on the topic of marinas on Bute....Is there one north of Rothsay in Kames Bay at Port Bannatyne??

Nothing on navionics, nothing on the latest charts (leisure folio from earlier this year), nothing on Google earth, nothing in welcome ancorages 2010, nothing in the pilot books. But there looked like a marina from the water....but when it was blowing 30-35 knots one day and 35-40 the next I wasn't in a mood for discovery, especially on a lee shore

So does it exist? or was it a load of boat on the side there?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
While we're on the topic of marinas on Bute....Is there one north of Rothsay in Kames Bay at Port Bannatyne??

If there isn't I must have been hallucinating pretty badly when I thought Jumblie was hauled out and cradled ashore there for the winter last week ...

Nothing on navionics, nothing on the latest charts (leisure folio from earlier this year), nothing on Google earth, nothing in welcome ancorages 2010, nothing in the pilot books.

http://portbannatynemarina.co.uk/

D

Deleted member 36384

Ubergeekian your description of transport arrangements for the Victorians on the peninsula is a far more accurate description of mine and reflects the necessary mode of transport in those days.

However today, it is all very accessible by road, except when its too windy (ferries) or too rainy (land slides). A combination of both, can, and has in recent years, made it neigh impossible to access the peninsula.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Ubergeekian your description of transport arrangements for the Victorians on the peninsula is a far more accurate description of mine and reflects the necessary mode of transport in those days.

However today, it is all very accessible by road, except when its too windy (ferries) or too rainy (land slides). A combination of both, can, and has in recent years, made it neigh impossible to access the peninsula.

Twenty years ago I had to get to Tighnabruiach by public transport. The only options in those days were by ship (the Waverley a couple of times a week and occasional trips by the Glen Sannox) or the morning post bus which left Dunoon about 7.30am and took for ever to get to Tighnabruaich. Now - as you probably know - there are regular buses between Rothesay, Tighnabruiach/Portavadie and Dunoon. It's a huge change, particularly compared with the pre high road mid seventies.

The change is visible from the water. Tighnabruaich used to be a sleepy boatyard with a few yachts on moorings - now it's a solid mass of resident white plastic. Caladh was a quiet anchorage. Now it's a solid mass of resident white plastic too.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Thanks for that, there was a mention in the CCC guide, that marina plans were afoot.....

It's a nice marina - inasmuch as any marina can be nice, bah, humbug. Cheap, too - I pay £14/night for 8m. The shore facilities are just showers and toilets in a very clean Portakabin (tm), but the village has pub, cafe and post office just a minute or two's walk away.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
It's a nice marina - inasmuch as any marina can be nice, bah, humbug. Cheap, too - I pay £14/night for 8m. The shore facilities are just showers and toilets in a very clean Portakabin (tm), but the village has pub, cafe and post office just a minute or two's walk away.

It was looking very attractive at the time, it was chilly, wet, dusk and blowing dogs off chains, and I was looking for places where we could go without having to go up to the top of East Kyle.

We didn't need to find somewhere, but I was looking at alternatives. If I had known there was a marina there I probably would have stopped there...At least I know now, Thank you :)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
It was looking very attractive at the time, it was chilly, wet, dusk and blowing dogs off chains, and I was looking for places where we could go without having to go up to the top of East Kyle.

We didn't need to find somewhere, but I was looking at alternatives. If I had known there was a marina there I probably would have stopped there...At least I know now, Thank you :)

Is Rothesay still closed then? I kept my first boat there for several years in the 80's when Portavadie had planning permission for Oil rig work. Nice sheltered spot, all I needed to do was take a bin liner with me for the chip papers, crisp & fag packets & beer cans that accumulated in the cockpit while we were "darnsarf" earning a crust.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Is Rothesay still closed then? I kept my first boat there for several years in the 80's when Portavadie had planning permission for Oil rig work.

There's a tiny wee marina in the harbour at Rothesay. Visitors only, I think, though they do winter berths for about the same as Port Bannatyne. They also have lots of (24?) swinging moorings which are available to visitors or for the season.

http://www.buteberthing.com/

MM5AHO

Visit site
Couple of weeks back was passing there (Lochranza to the Kyles), and saw a Swedish boat lauching and retrieving what looked like a large submersible.
Maybe they have started an underwater Swedish marina ?

savsail

www.eltonmarineservices.com
Well, I'll take that a a unanimous NO then?
I have anchored there a couple of years ago on Tao, a Jeanneau 45 with no problems entering or exiting the bay, but only stopped for lunch. That
weekend was almost exactly the same weather as last week, F4-5 East or North East so we had a quiet and comfy lunch.
If it did get a marina then it would obvously need installing some protection from the southwest.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Well, I'll take that a a unanimous NO then?
I have anchored there a couple of years ago on Tao, a Jeanneau 45 with no problems entering or exiting the bay, but only stopped for lunch. That
weekend was almost exactly the same weather as last week, F4-5 East or North East so we had a quiet and comfy lunch.
If it did get a marina then it would obvously need installing some protection from the southwest.

It's a lovely quiet spot in winds from N round to E - I anchored there last Tuesday - but totally exposed to the SW. If you look at the depths a breakwater to the SW is not feasible.

The Clyde has plenty of marinas, so WHY??? Another huge resounding NO I am afraid.

- W