I should know but I dont

Birdseye

Visit site
I have had many spinnakers in many boats but never, as it happens, a crusing chute. My new to me boat came with a coloured sail - how do I quickly chek if its a chute or not. What are the basic differences?

dunedin

Visit site
Do you mean symmetric or asymmetric sail? Grab the head and then check whether the two sides of the sail are the same length, in which case symmetric (and two leeches), or different length in which case asymmetric (luff and leech, and probably luff strengthened).

Cariadco

Visit site
Chances are that it is an Assymetric.
Then which Assymetric is it?
If you take specific measurements (Google for what points they measure for IRC Rating) and send them to a friendly sailmaker, they will tell you if it's an A3, A4 etc etc and then you can google again, and you'll find which sail works best in which wind angle and speed.
Having said all that, a Cruising Shute is usually cut in a way, that allows it to be sailed between around 70 to 130 degs Apparent, so it's a compromise of all the 'A' range of sails. Ideal for cruising.
Hope this helps.

Birdseye

Visit site
Do you mean symmetric or asymmetric sail? Grab the head and then check whether the two sides of the sail are the same length, in which case symmetric (and two leeches), or different length in which case asymmetric (luff and leech, and probably luff strengthened).
That was my first thought but in all the times I have spent at home on the driveway putting rubber bands or woolies on my spinnakers, it never seemed to be that the two sides were identical in length. Anyway I have checked on the sail that came with my new boat and whilst it has the belly of a very fat spinnaker, the two sides are very different in length. So it looks like an old knackered cruising chute rather than anything useful.