Hunter, a new to us old timer, a Broom Ocean 37

Alicatt

Visit site
Had no real time to take pictures, we got an in depth run down of the systems and where everything was on the boat and that took quite a while.

That said we were there for quite a few hours going through everything, what works what does not work etc, the boat was being sold as is so we got her for a good price, one we were happy with and the seller was happy with.

We go back on Tuesday to get the deed of transfer of ownership signed into our name and the boat de-registered in The Netherlands, then we have to get her registered in Belgium and after all that we can sail her home.

Quick and dirty video of a bit of her test run, we were doing about 10knots at 1500rpm on the plane, top speed is around 18knots, she is a lot more stable than Casper and very manoeuvrable at slow speed, she will turn in her own length just with the engines, steering is on the heavy side but smooth and she changes direction very easily, there is no interlock between upper and lower helm so as one wheel moves do does the other, on the other ones we looked at only the helm selected with the change over switch moved. Noise levels are not too bad inside, bit more exhaust noise in the aft cabin though.

Greg2

Visit site
If memory serves the most we had on ours was 17 knots flat out but a 10 - 12 knot cruise was more realistic. The steering on ours was a mechanical Whitlock system, which was well engineered and very smooth and I don’t recall it being particularly heavy so I wonder if some lubrication / maintenance is required? I also don’t recall anything that would select a particular helm but to my mind that would be an unnecessary addition as both wheels turning was never an issue.

Very well built boats with good accommodation and it will undoubtedly transform your boating. 😁

Alicatt

Visit site
This is our first twin engined boat so was having a bit of a play with the throttles, quite revealing just how much you can change course with just a nudge on one leaver.
Lets say it was heavier than expected on the steering. The broker was taking pictures and is going to forward them on to me, plus pics of the work that was done to her, nice big stainless steel propellors on her and she will burble along at under 4 knots quite happily, then you can feel the turbos come in as you get to about 1100rpm, I was quite surprised at her getting up on the plane at 9knots and 1500 she was just under the 10 knots which is what she is doing in the video above.

Now got some varnish to peel/sand off and then think what to do, revarnish or oil the teak railings.

Greg2

Visit site
Those teak rails look lovely but are a phaff to look after. Varnish isn’t a good long-term solution as it inevitably flakes and if memory serves I stripped the varnish off and oiled them instead, but we did’t keep the boat long enough to know how good a solution that was!

SP2

www.rightsofway.co.uk
So pleased your sea trial went smoothly. As Greg2 said the original steering was Whitlock mechanical operating both wheels at the same time. Beautifully engineered and greasing the universal joints helps.

Personally I’d avoid varnish on external teak rails and use oil regularly.

Bet you are excited to take possession of her.

Bouba

Visit site
Had no real time to take pictures, we got an in depth run down of the systems and where everything was on the boat and that took quite a while.

That said we were there for quite a few hours going through everything, what works what does not work etc, the boat was being sold as is so we got her for a good price, one we were happy with and the seller was happy with.

We go back on Tuesday to get the deed of transfer of ownership signed into our name and the boat de-registered in The Netherlands, then we have to get her registered in Belgium and after all that we can sail her home.

Quick and dirty video of a bit of her test run, we were doing about 10knots at 1500rpm on the plane, top speed is around 18knots, she is a lot more stable than Casper and very manoeuvrable at slow speed, she will turn in her own length just with the engines, steering is on the heavy side but smooth and she changes direction very easily, there is no interlock between upper and lower helm so as one wheel moves do does the other, on the other ones we looked at only the helm selected with the change over switch moved. Noise levels are not too bad inside, bit more exhaust noise in the aft cabin though.

Get that boat over to Mr Googler and he will have it looking like it was made in 2020

oldgit

Visit site

25 Years of Motor Cruisers. 1960-1984. MBM.
IBSN 0-7136-3459-6

Suprised no similar publication around today , curious absence, when a entry level boat starts at £600.000 and you might feel the need to add those basic little "extras" , steering wheel etc.
How long before "LED" internally illuminated fenders on the option lists, probably with "bluetooth" to be able to turn them on and a choice of colour sequences programable from your Raymarine MFD.

Last edited:

Wavey

Visit site
Congratulations, and to be honest I’m more than a bit envious. The more you become accustomed to the boat the more you’ll realise what a joy it is to handle.

Please don’t varnish teak. Teak needs to breathe and varnish doesn’t allow that. Periodically use decent quality teak oil, that’s all it needs, and it’s a lot less faff than varnishing anyway.

Parabordi

Visit site

All we ever got out of our Crown (same hull) with the 145s was 14knots and then it would overheat.
Refitted with Nanni 200s as the overheating grated on me.
Proper little ship, I am sure you will have many years of fun. enjoy

oldgit

Visit site
That teak oil can be bought at sensible prices on ebay.
There is nothing special about teak oil with the word marine or boat on the label except the price.
You will need more than you think you might need.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Congratulations, and to be honest I’m more than a bit envious. The more you become accustomed to the boat the more you’ll realise what a joy it is to handle.

Please don’t varnish teak. Teak needs to breathe and varnish doesn’t allow that. Periodically use decent quality teak oil, that’s all it needs, and it’s a lot less faff than varnishing anyway.
Handrails etc I agree with the suggestion of using teak oil, but I'd never put any treatment onto a teak deck (in case of any doubt).

Alicatt

Visit site
First job...
Finish the ceiling in Casper
That teak oil can be bought at sensible prices on ebay.
There is nothing special about teak oil with the word marine or boat on the label except the price.
You will need more than you think you might need.
As we have teak furniture for the garden we have teak oil here :)
Sis & Bro in law were throwing out some teak garden furniture as it was looking grey I took it and replaced a couple of slats in one chair and then lightly sanded and oiled them they came up a treat and that was 3 years ago, I used the oil we had for our own garden furniture. they would not believe it was the same seats and bench that they were throwing out :D

Thanks for the info about the Ocean 37 will order up a copy too.
I scanned into a pdf a sales brochure that came with the boat when it was bought new, I'll see if I can link it here, it's in Du
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zP8r5GiIK_SLRyinapAqEY-wjdsdH38z/view?usp=drive_link

Alicatt

Visit site
So pleased your sea trial went smoothly. As Greg2 said the original steering was Whitlock mechanical operating both wheels at the same time. Beautifully engineered and greasing the universal joints helps.

Personally I’d avoid varnish on external teak rails and use oil regularly.

Bet you are excited to take possession of her.
Roll on Tuesday when she will be transferred in to our name, then the wait for the de-registration and then to get her re-registered in Belgium.
Was talking with the chairman of our yacht club about a new spot for our new boat, so there is going to be a little shuffling around to make some space as we have 2 new members joining in August, and one has a 15m boat. There is around 600meters of pontoon along the canal side and 32 boats berthed there already. plus 4 passant berths 2 of which are the club's and 2 belong to the hotel beside the canal at the end of our pontoon.

Alicatt

Visit site
Mrs. Catt has allowed the coffers to be opened briefly, we are getting an AIS to fit to the boat so we can take her back home via Antwerp cutting off more than a days sailing compared with the other routes.

Now how can I make that become a radar too... well the boat has an arch and it is bare without it ;)

Was talking earlier with the guy that designed and drew the radar arch for the boat 25 years ago, the original owners of her were good friends of his, he also made a half model of her on a plaque for the original owner. Been an interesting day, just to finish of the lights for the ceiling on Casper tomorrow and then stage and photograph her to put her up for sale. Casper is using half the new mooring we are getting for Hunter so she has to go, it has been a great year with her learning a lot.

Wavey

Visit site
Mrs. Catt has allowed the coffers to be opened briefly, we are getting an AIS to fit to the boat so we can take her back home via Antwerp cutting off more than a days sailing compared with the other routes.

Now how can I make that become a radar too... well the boat has an arch and it is bare without it ;)
Everybody knows radar is an essential bit of safety kit and it’s extremely dangerous to attempt such treacherous voyages as moving the boat to the fuel pier and back without it 😁. I’m sure everyone on here will back me up on that 😂.

oldgit

Visit site
Did the the boat come complete with that crew of young ladies or were they on the options list.
Ask , as this particular option appears to no longer be available today.

Some history.
Boat from the same era and quite possibly using the same Aquafibre 37 hull,this boat was being delivered from Norfolk to the boatshow on its own keel.
Aquafibre: a look back - Motor Boat & Yachting
1721552123510.jpeg
Testing the hull
1721552657086.jpeg

Last edited: