How to trace a yacht in Greece?

AndrewB

Visit site
The executor of a friend who recently died wants to trace his yacht, which almost certainly has been left somewhere in Greece. It was last known to have been in Gouvia, Corfu, but I was able to confirm it is not there now. Nor does his insurance company know.

How would it be best to go about doing this? The executor would prefer this to be done discretely if possible, and has asked me not to post details for the moment.

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
Insurer might know, but I suspect his credit card company would have a better idea of where he'd last been.

DrCS

Visit site
If he had it in Gouvia, it's likely somewhere in the Ionian, there's about 30 places maximum including guardinage and winter storage places and marinas, you can just start calling them.

If you share some details when you can I can check Lefkas for you.

dunedin

Visit site
As well as the contacts on this forum, another group who may be able to assist is the Cruising Association - who have harbour representatives in many locations and a Med forum which would reach many other cruisers who may be able to help. If not a member I or others on here could post something on the CA site, but clearly this would need some boat details to be useful.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Has already said there only a few places when it could be unless like many have done , anchored it some where and left it , there many boat like that around Greece or dumped on a quay .
But to have any chance of some one spotting it you need to give out some details , it may be in one of the yards in Prevaza , you could try call each yard , and try the yard around Nidri.

AndrewB

Visit site
Thanks guys, I heard today that the yacht has been tracked down to a Greek marina, thanks to a local broker.

Some marinas seemed remarkably reticent to give out any information about their customers. That might be considered advantageous or disadvantageous.