How much does a beginner need to know about engines?

Pintsize

Visit site
me and the wife have hired a boat 4 times over the last 2 years and we have enjoyed our trips, so we are thinking about buying our own boat.

I am looking at buying a 25ft River cruiser that has a diesel engine, shaft driven, and built in the 1980s for the Irish inland waterways. I would buy newer but it's not in the budget.

The only thing that has me worried about buying a boat is the maintenance of the engine. I know nothing about engines, and don't get any engine maintenance experience from the boat hires.

I plan to attend a one day class on basic engine maintenance and have been looking at you tube videos, but is this how everyone else does it. Buy the boat and then learn? Is this a huge mistake or is this how everyone gets started?

Pintsize

Visit site
Don't know much about my car engine. It doesn't bother me not knowing how to service that, I guess because my car is new enough not to have any problems between services and if it did break down I'd just call the AA. I don't think I'd have anyone to call if I break down in the middle of a lake....but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Gustywinds

Visit site
How much do you know about your car engine? Does it bother you that you don't know how to service that?
Car service outlets are much more widespread than boat ones and most people using 1980’s cars are because they are car nuts and know what to do on them.
I have a 1970s sports car which I a comfortable servicing myself but won’t do my wife’s new car or mine ( it’s an EV)
I’ve spend a fair bit of time trying to learn up on the engine on my boat ( a 19 year oldVP D6) and, while I’m fine with the basic mechanics of the engine, the injection system and engine management worries me. I’ve bought spare filters, belts and a few other bits and pieces and have got myself a list of all the VP agents and repair facilities along the route I am going to follow but it still worries me I might get stranded somewhere with a fault I can’t fix.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
As a minimum I think every boat owner should know how to change fuel filters and bleed the fuel system and how to change an impeller. On top of this, maybe knowing how to change a drive belt (fan belt in car terms) would also be advantageous. These are the things that are most likely going to cause you problems between services. Once you know the above, you might as well learn how to change the oil and filter and then you can pretty much do your own basic servicing as well.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Join a yacht club, there is usually a member who would be pleased to show you the basics.. they type of boat you are thinking of is likely to have a nice non electronic tyype of injection system, and thus easy for a novice to maintain. the RYA do some decent booklets on looking after small engines..

I totally agree with Mad about the boat, post above.

Don't be afraid, as the engine will be one of millions built for industry, and then marinised, so are intrinsically very reliable.

Dirty fuel, fuel line air leaks, and a wire fell off are amongst the most regular problems, after the biggy LACK OF USE .

ps In answer to the question, I started by servicing the lawn mower at 9, then mothers mini at 10, then dad bought our first boat and I went and watched Mercedes benz engineer do the service, after 1st year was looking after the machinery . went on a Sabre owners course in 1990when the boat was changed as I had no turbo experience. looked after this one since first purchase Been lucky to have gone boating for 55 years+, after hire boat holiday, so have fun!!

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
I knew nothing about marine diesels 'til I bought my first boat with an inboard. That rusty heap of junk taught me a lot about working on engines just to keep the bloody thing running. As a result I'm now pretty proficient. Skint many a knuckle and my collective swear jar would pay for a 1st class Queen Mary cruise mind...

Fast forward a number of years I now have a better boat, yet with an older, but bombproof engine (BMC1500 derived engine) and now happily can tackle most jobs on that without much ado.

So - don't be put off. Try and find someone who's willing to show you round the engine and have a look to see if there is someone on YouTube with your sort of engine and you'll be grand. As Madabouttheboat said - learn how to change filters and bleed the fuel system and you're 80% there with most engine maintenance and problem solving.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I was on board and speaking to the owners of a 50 year old yacht, that they bought 20 years ago. One of the first things they did was bought a new engine. It sits there now in their shiny engine compartment looking like new. Their philosophy was they intended to keep the boat a long time so rather than suffer an old and unreliable engine then replace it later, they would start with a nice new reliable engine.

Portofino

Visit site
As a minimum I think every boat owner should know how to change fuel filters and bleed the fuel system and how to change an impeller. On top of this, maybe knowing how to change a drive belt (fan belt in car terms) would also be advantageous. These are the things that are most likely going to cause you problems between services. Once you know the above, you might as well learn how to change the oil and filter and then you can pretty much do your own basic servicing as well.
+1 ^ .
How to maintain the batteries too . Know how the starting side , the starter motor works too .

Unlike cars ( op has already intimated ) you can’t or won’t get away motor boating with little knowledge of how diesels work .Or turned around what stops them .
The ability to unclog a bugged up diesel or change a alternator belt , swap an impeller ….even have the knowledge to operate a sea cock , check batt connects is essential imho .

Gustywinds

Visit site
I was on board and speaking to the owners of a 50 year old yacht, that they bought 20 years ago. One of the first things they did was bought a new engine. It sits there now in their shiny engine compartment looking like new. Their philosophy was they intended to keep the boat a long time so rather than suffer an old and unreliable engine then replace it later, they would start with a nice new reliable engine.
The guy I was speaking to a few days ago did that. He has a 1970’s built Dutch steel boat with an immaculate engine bay with two 7 year old Volvo engines you could eat your dinner off.

Minerva

Visit site
Have to admit - thats a shewed move if you're confident in your purchase. A potentially terrible one if you have to sell the boat after a year to upgrade to something better fitting your needs though.

dunedin

Visit site
……

I plan to attend a one day class on basic engine maintenance and have been looking at you tube videos, but is this how everyone else does it. Buy the boat and then learn? Is this a huge mistake or is this how everyone gets started?
That’s a good plan, doing the one day course.

Then get your engine serviced professionally, but having previously agreed to be there to learn as the pro does the service. Take lots of notes and lots of photos and write these up. That’s what we did when got current boat and done DIY services successfully ever since, improving the notes and photos each year.

And worst case an engine breakdown on inland waterways is rarely anything worse than an inconvenience. It isn’t like an ocean crossing. Enjoy.

jrudge

Visit site
As a boat skipper it is beneficial all round if you are able to be "handy ".

To be handy you need tools , parts ( impellers / filters / belts ) and general bits and bobs ( wire / hoses / tape etc ).

You don't need to know that much about the engine per se but you do need to know how to change the bits that tend to cause issues which others have listed.

This is for both practical reasons - get home or don't need to cut a day trip short.

It also saves considerable hassle and money. Boats tend to have a load of small odds and sods go wrong all the time. Show stoppers are rare but if the jobs are left the list gets long and expensive.

I do my level best to clear all issues over winter so the season stats with a clean slate and keep up to date with smaller issues as they occur.

harvey38

Visit site
me and the wife have hired a boat 4 times over the last 2 years and we have enjoyed our trips, so we are thinking about buying our own boat.

I am looking at buying a 25ft River cruiser that has a diesel engine, shaft driven, and built in the 1980s for the Irish inland waterways. I would buy newer but it's not in the budget.

The only thing that has me worried about buying a boat is the maintenance of the engine. I know nothing about engines, and don't get any engine maintenance experience from the boat hires.

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure your new purchase has a survey including an engineer to give a full report on the engine.

Assuming that is all OK and you buy it, get the engine and ancillaries serviced and see if the engineer will allow you to be there when the work is done so they can go through the engine and talk you through so you start to understand it. If they refuse, get another engineer!

Good luck, keep us posted and plenty of PHOTOGRAPHS 📸 👍

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Have to admit - thats a shewed move if you're confident in your purchase. A potentially terrible one if you have to sell the boat after a year to upgrade to something better fitting your needs though.
I also know people with old unreliable engines and for them it can be a lottery when they got to their mooring if it will start or not. They don't always go sailing, instead they fix their engine. Again.

KevinV

Visit site
Older diesels are simple beasts, your day course will almost certainly teach you all the basics to keep it put-putting away happily. As some others have said have it checked out before purchase and serviced after with you watching and it'll almost certainly be grand.
The bits between the engine and the prop are a bit more to get your head around initially - have a pro check them out so you give yourself time to learn those.

Bouba

Visit site
Even if you had a good working knowledge of diesels....problems aren’t always easy to diagnose on the go....and even if you can, will your little boat carry enough tools and spares to do the repair ?
Millions of people drive without any knowledge of the mechanics....what you need is a professional to service the engine before you start (for peace of mind)....ask their advice on any problems to keep an eye on. Most things that go wrong are ancillaries....hoses, couplings, exhaust, electrical etc. Give the engine a good visual inspection before every use...anything out of place...any leaks etc that is the time to get help....starting with asking this forum.
Most of all watch your gauges on the dashboard as you drive....know what is normal....anything outside this and it’s time to pull over

Alicatt

Visit site
The guy I was speaking to a few days ago did that. He has a 1970’s built Dutch steel boat with an immaculate engine bay with two 7 year old Volvo engines you could eat your dinner off.
and I have a 45 year old Dutch plastic river boat and you could fry your chips on it it's that greasy :D ;)

Getting her back to clean is taking a while but getting there, and she will be for sale soon as we have found our next boat to step up to.