How much does a beginner need to know about engines?

Greg2

Visit site
I plan to attend a one day class on basic engine maintenance and have been looking at you tube videos, but is this how everyone else does it. Buy the boat and then learn? Is this a huge mistake or is this how everyone gets started?

Pretty much what most people do and it sounds like you are being more proactive than most in terms of planning to learn.

When we bought our first boat I was similarly daunted and didn’t know a lot but I put my mind to learning and started with the essentials as identified by madabouttheboat. Doing your own servicing is a great way to learn and to understand your engines and like most things it is the unknown that is the issue as the reality turns out to be reasonably straightforward (servicing and basic maintenance I mean).

Lots of good advice given already and I would simply endorse the suggestions about a good survey and learning how to do the basics and importantly don’t fret too much about it and enjoy the boat 😁

Ferris

Visit site
On the Irish inland waterways (apart from the loughs) what is the worse thing that can happen? you drift into a river bank.
The Shannon is a big river with marked channels, often with rock either side. There are weirs and un-navigable areas with strong currents. The loughs you mentioned are big and can resemble inland seas depending on wind direction. All this is, of course, part of the charm but a breakdown can be critical. Unfortunately lives have been lost in similar circumstances. There is now RNLI cover on the two larger lakes but apart from that there’s no Sea Start or anything like that, you need a friend or two to help you out.

OP, to that end the IWAI is worth joining and even better is a Facebook group -Shannon Boat Owners. They’re a sound bunch and have local advice/ recommendations. My own thoughts is to get a good mechanic to show you the basics on your boat. A basic socket set, screwdrivers etc. can be kept on the boat. Spares are likely cheap and therefore reasonable to keep a stock of. What engine is in the boat?

jointventureII

Visit site
The more knowledge you can gain the better - mentioned already but the fuel supply side of things is a must - this is by far the biggest cause of problems in marine engines. If you can, get to know your fuel system from the tank to the injector pump.

One thing I've found useful to carry is a totally separate (clean) Jerry can of 20 litres of diesel - and a quick method of being able to use this as the fuel source rather than the main tank. If it's an older boat it will likely have a lot of crud in the tank. If you're restricting it to rivers and canals then this won't apply as much but my (50+ year old) fuel tank has some rubbish in it and tends to kick it up if I'm out in a chop. This is a job I need to tackle next winter but for now the Jerry can gets me out of a situation.

Ultimately, there is also a lot of 'learning on the go'

You certainly seem to have the right attitude towards it all, and that counts for an awful lot too. There are some extremely knowledgeable members on this forum who will take a lot of time to help out too.

Momac

Visit site
I started doing my own engine servicing from about 2016 and have not since needed to pay labour charges. I did not attend a course but learned a bit by reading and speaking to other boaters. I had previous DIY experience on motorbikes and old cars.
An oil extractor pump and filter wrench paid for themselves on their first use.
So far I havent found any normal routine service task that has defeated me.

One advantage of DIY is you don't have to do all engine service jobs at the same time so this helps spread cost.

Alicatt

Visit site
For the first service of the engine in my boat under my ownership was done by the local marine engineer, he has his boat 2 boats behind mine on the dock so I know where to get him...
Anyhoo when working on the engine he tells his customers to f.... off to the pub and he will call them when finished, but as he needed an outside help with what he was doing he allowed me to stay and watch and try not to interfere...

Whopper

Visit site
As said above, ask can you observe a mechanic doing a basic service on your engine. Oil, oil filter, fuel, fuel filter(s) and impeller. They will likely also have to bleed the engine when changing the fuel filter. This is as beneficial as an engine course in my view as it’s specific to your engine and you’re also keeping on top of maintenance.

This will lift your mechanical knowledge and confidence massively!