How many of us wished we had not bought our boat

boatingdave

Visit site
Capsco. You are always welcome to come out with us on the Thames! I hope things work out better than you currently feel they will.
I've never regretted getting a boat, I've been boating for a majority of my life as my dad used to build them as a 'hobby' many many years ago.
Only thing I will say is that I've been in a few marinas with a level of petty politics and clicky groups and snobbery which is disappointing. But apart from that boating is just the best 'hobby' you could ever wish to have. Shame neither of my kids like it any more (Broadband not fast enough I suspect) but it is one of the few places where you can truly relax. My mum always used to say that it added years to my dads life as he was in such a stressful job being the personnel manager for British Steel during the troubled years, which is why it was difficult reading Capscos post. You are just at one with nature and the elements wherever you are be it fresh or salty. I just adore it.

MarieK

Visit site
I came to this thread earlier this evening with the intention of moaning about not getting to use the boat much this year due to the demands of a growing business, thinking I might sell it and come back in a few years when I have the time.

Having read the previous posts I got a wake up call! So having just driven for two hours I am now sitting on said boat for first time in 2 months, with a decent glass of Bordeaux and my favourite boat mix playing on the stereo!

Its good to be back.

kanajobe48

Visit site
I have to say to the comment above we are at Cobbs quay, and have found evey one absolutely brilliant and and have never found a "big boat boat " attitude or any snobbery I think it depends on the marina that you are in and is not world wide
One of things we have enjoyed is the complete lack of snobbery in boating, we have
Been moored next to a millionaire and because we have a common interest and never had to feel humble because of a smaller boat.

boatingdave

Visit site
I have to say to the comment above we are at Cobbs quay, and have found evey one absolutely brilliant and and have never found a "big boat boat " attitude or any snobbery I think it depends on the marina that you are in and is not world wide
One of things we have enjoyed is the complete lack of snobbery in boating, we have
Been moored next to a millionaire and because we have a common interest and never had to feel humble because of a smaller boat.
I wasn't saying this was everywhere. I have many good friends on many waterways ranging from narrow boat owners to large mobo's owners but I have been in a couple of marinas where it was quite noticeable. I've yet to form an opinion on Shepperton, The immediate neighbours so far on the one side seem very nice but the other side have already kicked my steps in to the water, I heard him whinging one night when he arrived back late one evening about the ropes and steps even though half the ropes were his and I have tied additional springs for him as the weather was really bad. Anyway, we are all different, generally boating is full of smashing likeminded folk apart from rowers on the Thames!!! :).

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
After reading the posts last night (is it me or is X factor getting boring) and laying in bed thinking about how life treats you I realised that owning a boat is more than owning a car or house. It's in the same league as sharing your life with a dog. It's unreasonably demanding of time and money, causes endless friction with SWMBO and is a constant source of anxiety. But once aboard, with sun shining, the breeze against your face and the motors purring away, life takes on a different aspect. In September we motored through the Corinthean sea accompanied for an hour or so by the largest pod of dolphins I've ever seen. The faster I pushed the Bertram the more they dived under the boat and crashed through the bow wave. They seemed to urge us on. When moored up I looked down to see a large green turtle scratching it's shell on our anchor chain. It's these things that make time on the boat special and allow me to live my life according to my rules.
Occasionally we meet snot noses and snobs but for me their behaviour is amusing and gives me permission to also behave outrageously. In the end they don't matter. What does matter is hearing the Detroits cough into life and the sound of the anchor coming up and knowing the Bertram will take us safely somewhere interesting.

Last edited:

PhilipF

Visit site
Before we ever had a boat. When the weather was wet, overcast, windy and miserable, I would say "who would want a boat this weather".

Then when I got to the age of seventy I thought "if I don't get a boat now, I'll never get one". So, we bought one:encouragement: I now say "it was the second best thing I ever done". What we both (SWMBO and I) had not taken into account was that even in poor weather, a boat still has great uses, ours because we find it great value as a 'holiday cottage' TBH this factor had never entered my head before we got our boat.

Worth mentioning that, even though I had had virtually no experience in boating, most certainly not in the handling of them, I've taken to the activity just like the proverbial "duck to water".

We where first berthed in Cobbs Quay. I was a bit nervous when I first took the boat out on our own, but we berthed back in Ok BTW we have always reversed back into our berth, always back our car into a parking space too:encouragement: Our confidence grew pretty rapidly, less than three months from getting our boat, we cruised to Weymouth, and in less than a year we had cruised as far as Brixham.

We got great value from being berthed in Poole, specially for our many trips to the Solent, but we did also value our cruises down to the west country, furthest westward being far up the Helford River. Eastwards we've been as far as Gosport.

Yes, we really to enjoy our boat:encouragement:

Philip

martinlsmith

Visit site
I'll go with that. Only just registered on this site. noticed some time ago you were offering to email a manual for a KAD32p,
have you still got it and could you email me a copy.
Thanks
Martin

alt

Visit site
Absolutily not, but then again, any boats i've owned have never given me a days hassle. We have our current Cranchi 2 years now and the only thing that's gone on it is the shower sump float switch. I think the constant use is a good thing - we put up about 200 hours per season out which is good as sometimes our whole weekend trip may be only 10 miles (we are on an inland lake)

I honestly don't know what i'd have to look forward to if we didn't have the boat. It's probably a bit big for our age (we're in our 20's) but she's a keeper. OK so we'd probably go on more holidays, but I can't think of a better holiday than sitting out the back cockpit, glass of wine in hand, watching the sun set.

TwoHooter

Visit site
"This has been a wonderful day!" said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. "Do you know, I've never been in a boat before in all my life."

"What?" cried the Rat, open-mouthed: "Never been in a—you never—well I—what have you been doing, then?"

"Is it so nice as all that?" asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat solemnly as he leant forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing—about—in—boats; messing—"

Pinnacle

Visit site
Absolutily not, but then again, any boats i've owned have never given me a days hassle. We have our current Cranchi 2 years now and the only thing that's gone on it is the shower sump float switch. I think the constant use is a good thing - we put up about 200 hours per season out which is good as sometimes our whole weekend trip may be only 10 miles (we are on an inland lake)

I honestly don't know what i'd have to look forward to if we didn't have the boat. It's probably a bit big for our age (we're in our 20's) but she's a keeper. OK so we'd probably go on more holidays, but I can't think of a better holiday than sitting out the back cockpit, glass of wine in hand, watching the sun set.

When you gonna follow your chaterers example and propose??:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

boatingdave

Visit site
"This has been a wonderful day!" said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. "Do you know, I've never been in a boat before in all my life."

"What?" cried the Rat, open-mouthed: "Never been in a—you never—well I—what have you been doing, then?"

"Is it so nice as all that?" asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat solemnly as he leant forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing—about—in—boats; messing—"

Mole was most intrigued with this new found enjoyment. Rat, mole asked shyly, please, just please..
Rat thought carefully and then nodded with a coy smile and then nodded, just gently with the anticipation of the happiness that was just about to be felt. Mole acknowledged the gesture and wanted to please his friend so at the top of his voice shouted "mind your f*cking wash" at the nearest motor boat he could find that just happened to be there on the river that HE had right of way over which was going slowly and trying to be considerate. "F*cking w*nker" he added with a vitriolic rhetoric just to please his good friend even more. Rat was delighted at the kind gesture and smiled in awe at the thoughtfulness of his actions.

Last edited:

Flyboy50

Visit site
So sorry Chamaerops, 'twas me who bought Madelina and unknowingly denied you the pleasure of being on the water for a short period!! I hope Cordisque gives you and your heart the tonic that's needed - I share your sentiments about boating school pleasures!

Billy Blue

Visit site
"How many of us wished we had not bought our boat"
Certainly not me but....
If you were one of those who do regret buying a boat then you are probably not going to be reading this forum.
What amazes me is the number of boats I see being totally neglected, the owners never seen and yet mooring or hard standing fees are obviously still being paid. I just do not understand it.