How many of us wished we had not bought our boat

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I've regretted buying every one of the 13 boats I've bought. Boats are like wives; however many of them you marry, you never find the perfect one and you only find that out after you've lived with them;) I bought my present boat less than a year ago and I'm already wondering about the next one

Chamaerops

Visit site
So sorry Chamaerops, 'twas me who bought Madelina and unknowingly denied you the pleasure of being on the water for a short period!! I hope Cordisque gives you and your heart the tonic that's needed - I share your sentiments about boating school pleasures!

:encouragement: I hope you are enjoying Madelina as much as we did.
We have already forgotten the 'pain' of being boatless for three months and have clocked up 300 miles in Cordisque since November.
Have you a photo of Madelina in her new home?

MRC

Visit site
I've regretted buying every one of the 13 boats I've bought. Boats are like wives; however many of them you marry, you never find the perfect one and you only find that out after you've lived with them;) I bought my present boat less than a year ago and I'm already wondering about the next one

I can almost go along with that. ( You comment is part tongue in cheek I assume). I'm a serial boat buyer, 20+, as love them. Its not as capital intensive as some of my hobbies but the running costs always make me think the boat should go. It then gets sold and a new one ordered. Madness. My boat to wife ratio is quite high and the wife hobby would be even more expensive so trying to stay away from that hobby.

My only wish was that no one ever invented spreadsheets - that way I would be a very happy boater !!!

Roll on the summer anyway.

nicho

Visit site
Our first boat (Sea Ray 230 Sundancer) was bought 21 years ago whilst we were both going through our individual divorces. We had no money, but a son who was a bank manager, who was coerced into lending us £12000. We both had good incomes, but were both (as main breadwinners in our previous marriages) being systematically bled dry by our ex's. The little boat, kept on the Thames, saved our sanity. Over the years, we have owned nine boats, 7 motor (biggest S48) boats,and two sailing boats.
On two occasions, we have sold our boats and gone caravanning mainly for the financial considerations. Being retired, the S48 was costing us too much,and the £18K a year was putting too much of a strain on our retirement finances. On both occasions we only kept the caravan for two years before the lure of the sea brought us back. Last year, we returned, and whilst we would love a Princeass V48, there's no way we can afford it. So, we have returend to sail, and have a lovely little Gibsea 33 - cheap to buy, and to run, and even the Hamble marina berth is affordable at 9.9 metres.
So, we have on a couple of occasions regretted having our boats, due to cost, but on each occasion we have been tempted back by the lure of the sea. Roll on Spring - just got to remember how to sail the damned thing again!

Last edited:

kcrane

Visit site
Our first boat (Sea Ray 230 Sundancer) was bought 21 years ago whilst we were both going through our individual divorces. We had no money, but a son who was a bank manager, who was coerced into lending us £12000. We both had good incomes, but were both (as main breadwinners in our previous marriages) being systematically bled dry by our ex's. The little boat, kept on the Thames, saved our sanity. Over the years, we have owned nine boats, 7 motor (biggest S48) boats,and two sailing boats.
On two occasions, we have sold our boats and gone caravanning mainly for the financial considerations. Being retired, the S48 was costing us too much,and the £18K a year was putting too much of a strain on our retirement finances. On both occasions we only kept the caravan for two years before the lure of the sea brought us back. Last year, we returned, and whilst we would love a Princeass V48, there's no way we can afford it. So, we have returend to sail, and have a lovely little Gibsea 33 - cheap to buy, and to run, and even the Hamble marina berth is affordable at 9.9 metres.
So, we have on a couple of occasions regretted having our boats, due to cost, but on each occasion we have been tempted back by the lure of the sea. Roll on Spring - just got to remember how to sail the damned thing again!

Good to hear you are back in a boat :)

michael_w

Visit site
I've regretted some of the boats I've bought. On one glorious occasion I decided I hated the thing the day after I bought it! Luckily, another idiot had rose coloured binoculars too.