How bad is this Anchor Chain....?

Turnbuckle

Visit site
.. It's from the boat I recently bought. I've taken the boat out for winter and some work, and one of the issues is this anchor chain (see pics). Although the zinc galvanisation has corroded away in the central length of the chain, there seems to be plenty of metal and no weak links I can see (?). So, do I just use it as is, or can I clean it up and re-paint it with Galvanic Paint? Or what?

What would you do?

TB

Attachments

• Laid-Chain.png
    Laid-Chain.png
    564.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Laid-Closeup.png
    Laid-Closeup.png
    792.5 KB · Views: 185

cherod

Visit site
If no diameter loss then keep it , ( as said ) no point in painting it as that will rub off pretty quick , but clean it and oil it so to prevent any further deterioration ( when ever poss ) i,, spray with WD40 .

Neeves

Visit site
I'd take it to a beach, even a, quiet, road will do, tie it to the back of your car and drag it on the road/beach - its a quick method of rust removal. I'd then re-measure the link wire diameter. If you have lost less than 10% diameter its good to go but will re-rust quickly (very). if you are near a galvaniser and can deliver and collect yourself there is no real delivery cost. Have it galvanised. However most galvanisers have a minimum order size and your chain might be a bit short/small. You then need to find someone here, or in your local club marina and make up a larger order. If you don't regal then it might last another year - if you have not lost more than 10% of wire diameter. It will not make much difference to the order size - does your anchor need to be re-galvanised.

As your chain will last for a few more months - you have time to keep a thread active and 'collect' like minded members for a bulk re-gal. Ask Geof at Highland galvanisers - he might do a small lot (if its not too far away from you, Cumbernauld.

Painting it is a complete waste of time, the chain will continue to rust and lift the paint off and abrasion on the seabed will remove what is left. Oiling (lanolin?) it might be better but will make a mass of the chain locker and your deck. If you paint it many galvanisers will refuse it outright.

If you decide to use it as is - you maybe have a window till the end of the next season in which to use it and then you need to buy new, during this time a deal might come up on new chain.

If you decide on new chain - it is then the time to decide if you really need whatever chain size you have and whether you might usefully down size (though you will need a new gypsy). Gypsies are expensive but smaller chain is cheaper - and the difference might be the cost of a gypsy.

sarabande

Visit site
If no diameter loss then keep it , ( as said ) no point in painting it as that will rub off pretty quick , but clean it and oil it so to prevent any further deterioration ( when ever poss ) i,, spray with WD40 .

OIL AN ANCHOR CHAIN ???? !!!!

Not only will the oil drip into the bilges, but also all over the deck and hands and feet when in use. And are you really suggesting you lay an anchor chain covered in oil onto the seabed. That is wilful pollution.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The situation for regalvanising has changed. BE Wedge have dismantled their purpose built chain line and apparently no companies in the Wedge group will regalvanise chain in a batch process. Finding a company to do it in some areas may be quite difficult.

The economics of regalvanising seem to have been overwhelmed but it is a fact that the amount of zinc applied is considerably more, so there are still benefits.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The situation for regalvanising has changed. BE Wedge have dismantled their purpose built chain line and apparently no companies in the Wedge group will regalvanise chain in a batch process. Finding a company to do it in some areas may be quite difficult.

The economics of regalvanising seem to have been overwhelmed but it is a fact that the amount of zinc applied is considerably more, so there are still benefits.
Mine was done at Wedge's ? (in Birmingham area I think although I didn't take it there...). Sadly the galvanising was good in some places, poor in others.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Rusty chain will cause the links which sit in the anchor locker most of the time to sieze up due to rust ... these will either jam, jump or slip in the windlass when you eventually do need to use a longer scope - so make sure you let the entire length out regularly .... dragging the chain around the seabed is a good way of cleaning the chain and ensuring there is no binding between links.

I'd buy a new chain instead of re-galvanising ....

cherod

Visit site
yes, and a wee spray of wd40 when it is sitting in the locker can help prevent that rusting and binding ,, tho some people seem to think you have to pour 5 gals of oil on it !!!

Turnbuckle

Visit site
Yes, I think re-galvanising is a non-starter. So keeping this one as long as possible is the way forward, and then buying new when I absolutely have to. Bobc says: 'Not much wrong with that. I've seen a lot worse' so will do the pressure wash thing, a quick spray with WD40 and let it air for the winter. Thanks everyone. Great advice as always.