Hot Liquid stripped of RYA recognition

jellyellie

www.jellyellie.com
Wow.

Not a shock in the sense that they don't deserve it, but this is big news - they have a big presence in the Solent.

I wonder who will soak up their share of the market?

flaming

Visit site
Well done RYA

Probably worth noting that none of the trips that had the incidents were RYA courses.

Removal of RYA recognition would not have prevented any of those trips setting sail quite legally.

penfold

Visit site
I would surprised if there is not a swift rebranding followed by subbing actual RYA courses to individual instructors or other training firms; would anyone hazard a guess as to what the ratio was between charter/milebuilding/rya courses?

Flying Penguin

Visit site
@ flaming

Very true, but effective school-wide oversight to RYA standards (if that was indeed the problem) might have picked up "problem skippers" much earlier.

Then again, they might still have slipped through the net. Such is the issue for all schools, once the boat leaves the marina, you loose direct control and it only takes one error of judgement to potentially put them in harms way. You can reduce the risk, but never eliminate it.

fireball

Visit site
Probably worth noting that none of the trips that had the incidents were RYA courses.

Removal of RYA recognition would not have prevented any of those trips setting sail quite legally.

You're quite correct - but it doesn't look good on the RYA if one of their recognised schools has "serious safety issues" ... as an RYA member I am glad of their swift and decisive action.
Whilst I appreciate that there will always be a level of incidents and accidents there seems to be a degree of "wtf where they doing there?!" to at least 2 of their incidents - which just indicates a lack of experience/judgement by their skippers.
As the RYA Training manager says:
<snip> it is essential that customers are confident that appropriate safety management routines are in place at any centre displaying the RYA Recognised Training Centre logo.
The RYA have not stopped HL from trading or even from training - although it will probably have a significant effect on both.
I don't want to see the end of HL - it has no bearing on me whatsoever - but there is one skipper who I believe should be stripped of his commercial endorsement.
I hope the good skippers can find work within the other schools in the solent - and the staff at HL manage to turn the operation around and convince the RYA that they have taken sufficient steps to warrant the RYA recognition once more.

maxi77

Visit site
You're quite correct - but it doesn't look good on the RYA if one of their recognised schools has "serious safety issues" ... as an RYA member I am glad of their swift and decisive action.
Whilst I appreciate that there will always be a level of incidents and accidents there seems to be a degree of "wtf where they doing there?!" to at least 2 of their incidents - which just indicates a lack of experience/judgement by their skippers.
As the RYA Training manager says:
The RYA have not stopped HL from trading or even from training - although it will probably have a significant effect on both.
I don't want to see the end of HL - it has no bearing on me whatsoever - but there is one skipper who I believe should be stripped of his commercial endorsement.
I hope the good skippers can find work within the other schools in the solent - and the staff at HL manage to turn the operation around and convince the RYA that they have taken sufficient steps to warrant the RYA recognition once more.

I suspect from the RYA release that there will need to be some changes in staff and management before they get back in the game. I suspect the loss of ticket does depend on the MCA report as that is a legal action. Whilst the passages were not formal courses would the punters have rolled up if there had not been an RYA endorsement.

I suspect all schools will be checking their safety process to make sure the are all OK.

Visit site
I wonder how this action fit in with the RYA policy, frequently expressed, that practical courses should not be stopped because of a gale. Indeed, they schedule instructor courses for the times of year when bad weather is more likely.

The PBO report of this particular incident did not read as badly as previous comments on here suggested .

Blueboatman

Visit site
I know many have come to the defence of the owner/manager stating that he is one of the good guys in the business. Let us hope that lessons have been learnt, three major incidents is just too many for me.

Would I take anyone-anyone- to sea in january in a forecast 9. Nope.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site

If this is related to the last incident, what the hell did Hot Liquid do wrong?

Hot Liquid entrusted one of their charter boats to a delivery crew made up entirely of qualified RYA skippers and crew.

If anything shouldn't Hot Liquid are the victims in this and should be suing the RYA for giving these guys qualifications which Hot Liquid presumably took at face value.

Or do the RYA think the people on board were not sufficiently qualified to make a go-no go decision based on weather and needed Hot Liquid to make the call for them?

Or is the removal of "RYA recognition" nothing to do with that incident?

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Its not just the last incident... its about their risk managment... that is clear from the RYA release.

The last incident is a sympton of the disease.....

They odviously did not have in place a robust and effective risk managment solution... (this was discussed on "The Thread") and the RYA clearly pulled their accreditation due to the lack of robust managment proceedures.

awol

Visit site
Hot Liquid entrusted one of their charter boats to a delivery crew made up entirely of qualified RYA skippers and crew.

Or ......... Hot Liquid needed to get their boat to the Boat Show. To do this they used one of their skippers and crewed the boat with paying customers in the guise of mile building. There was owed a duty of care to the customers which, in my interpretation of the circumstances, was not well discharged by either the company or their employed skipper.

As to whether a RYA Day Skipper or Competent Crew course completion certificate gives sufficient authority for competent decision making on such a trip in such weather, I have my reservations.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Or ......... Hot Liquid needed to get their boat to the Boat Show. To do this they used one of their skippers and crewed the boat with paying customers

No dispute there.

What I'm missing is if I hire a qualified RYA crew to deliver a boat to somewhere, and they wreck it, how is it my fault?

If I hired a boat from Hot Liquid and wrecked it would it be their fault?

onesea

Visit site
No dispute there.

What I'm missing is if I hire a qualified RYA crew to deliver a boat to somewhere, and they wreck it, how is it my fault?

If I hired a boat from Hot Liquid and wrecked it would it be their fault?

I would suggest;
If you charter out a boat you also have a responsibility to stop the clients sailing in extreme weather.

If you hired the skipper to take the crew you have even more responsibility to stop them sailing.

There should be in place a management system in place for this. Once upon a time it was called experience and common sense but these it seems have little place in a modern world..