Suzuki DF2.5 Float Full of a Liquid

DOILY

Visit site
My carburettor is constantly flooding as if the float operated needle valve is not closing. On dismantling I see that the plastic float is almost full of a clear liquid (petrol?). But I can't find any leaks.
Is it normal for the float to have liquid inside?
TIA

DOILY

Visit site
Thank you Poecheng. All Agents are telling me there is nil stock in UK for a float. 4 to 6 weeks delivery from Japan. Crazy.

Can anyone recommend any repair techniques please?

TIA again.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
My carburettor is constantly flooding as if the float operated needle valve is not closing. On dismantling I see that the plastic float is almost full of a clear liquid (petrol?). But I can't find any leaks.
Is it normal for the float to have liquid inside?
TIA
Obviously it should be MT. Probably the correct troubleshoot. But this is not unheard; a car of mine did that in the 70s, when I was a teenage shade tree mechanic.

Poecheng

Visit site
Thank you Poecheng. All Agents are telling me there is nil stock in UK for a float. 4 to 6 weeks delivery from Japan. Crazy.

Can anyone recommend any repair techniques please?

TIA again.
I am going to make this up now but......
If you put it in hot water, will the expanded air in the float not have to escape through the leak allowing you to identify where it is.
Then get rid of the petrol within and a hot knife or similar to seal the leak ?

DOILY

Visit site
Thank you for your helpful ideas.

Update : Using a variation on the NDT dye penetrant technique (wife's talc) I've found a tiny hairline "crack", about 4mm long causing the leak.

My plan now is to drill 2 small holes, drain the fuel and then seal the holes and the crack with Araldite to get me to my mooring and back; and also order a new float as a permanent fix.

Just another question : Has this been caused by the nasties in E10??

Snowgoose-1

Visit site

Update : Using a variation on the NDT dye penetrant technique (wife's talc) I've found a tiny hairline "crack", about 4mm long causing the leak.

My plan now is to drill 2 small holes, drain the fuel and then seal the holes and the crack with Araldite to get me to my mooring and back; and also order a new float as a permanent fix.

Just a thought. I have great success with Chemical Metal in the past. Is Araldyte OK with petrol ?

penberth3

Visit site

That's the best idea, but old plastic that been swimming in petrol won't be easy to weld or glue.

I wouldn't blame E10, I'll guess age is the problem.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I have repaired many plastic floats. To clear the petrol place in a pan of boiling water. Keep it boilingand you will see the gas escaping from the defective place. Soap, moulded from a bar and pressed over the surface will make a temporary seal-got me through 400 miles of a Classic trial once when the GRP fuel tank split. A good epoxy will work ok, Araldite has worked for me.

Good Luck.

DOILY

Visit site
That's the best idea, but old plastic that been swimming in petrol won't be easy to weld or glue.

I wouldn't blame E10, I'll guess age is the problem.
Further update : Araldite did not stick to the plastic float off my only 4 year old engine. I thought I had removed all traces of petrol and also roughed up the surface.
Now off to see what Halfords/Screwfix/ Toolstation can offer.
Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Thank you again.

VicS

Visit site
Further update : Araldite did not stick to the plastic float off my only 4 year old engine. I thought I had removed all traces of petrol and also roughed up the surface.
Thank you again.
New float. .... part number 13250-97J00

DOILY

Visit site
After researching glues I'm taking VicS's advice. I've found an OMC Johnson Evinrude "equivalent" p/n (5037232) that's ex stock in UK for a fraction of the price of the Suzuki part.

penberth3

Visit site
Thank you again.

Next, I'd try "welding" with an old soldering iron, or a new soldering iron with an old tip or a bit of 3" nail. You did say this was a temporary fix, didn't you?