Holiday with sailing in mind

Pete_k

Visit site
I have recently returned from a holiday in Cuba which was a compromise between the wants of all the family (me charter, kids anything with sun and pool, wife sun sand pool and cocktails but preferably not sailing). The resort (Sol club Cayo Coco) was all inclusive, with all watersports also in the package with unlimited use. They had ten Hobie waves which they would allow anyone to take out but could only manage to put out three on the water at any one time due to lack of serviceable equipment and those that were out on the water had severe cracks in the hulls around the beam sockets. There were five or six laser X-14 dinghy's which were rarely used but were great fun and probably because of the lack of use seemed in good order. There was a rack of twenty plus windsurf boards but only four rigs and only two could be put on the water at a time as there were only two mast foot connections but then I was too busy sailing on the damaged Hobies to fit in the windsurfing.
I made enquiries at the resort about the maintenance of the gear and the obvious problems with obtaining the parts and was assured that inspections and maintenance were carried out regularly or at least should be as the people letting the boats out on the beach were only contracted by the hotel and are required to keep to a certain standard.
They also had six or seven Hobie 15's which they would only let out with one of their instructors onboard, needless to say these boats were in excellent condition.
All in all the holiday was excellent and we all had a great time, what I would be interested in is if anyone out there has any tips on similar type holidays with all inclusive facilities - especially the sailing (warm water a must, I think I'm getting soft and I usually sail all winter here!!!)

qsiv

Visit site
Re: Much as I hate to say this...

I'd agree - just back from Farmess in Turkey - end of season and ALL the kit, bar one laser was in good shape.

The only downside is that since teir takeover the flights (on Air2000) were just awful - if cattle shipped like that the haulage company would be prosecuted. Even my 9 yeraold had his knees against the seat in front.

Wjilst the holiday was great, I doubt we will ever risk travelling like that again. The 03:00 checkin wasnt too popular either!

jimi

Visit site
Re: Much as I hate to say this...

I also agree, I've had some great sunsail club holidays, particularly in Turkey. What's a nice combination is a week bareboat or flottilla followed by a week in a club, our kiddies think the holdays are terrific.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Sunsail

air 2000 is an improvement on some of the old carriers they used to use.

I have to say i am very much a fan of sunsail beachclubs as they allow me to go harem scarem buzz or dart sailing whilst mrs sailbadtobe can lounge around the pool or beach without me pestering her.
Have been on 9 club hols now at least. september is a fave time for a bit of late sun. i am unable to not do anything on holiday and without the opportunity to play on the water the relationship would have faltered eons ago. tend to bolt on the holiday to an end of season now as normally do 2 weeks bareboat.

whilst i love turkey i think colonna is my fave good sun and good wind. bar a nit pricey tho. i love greece but there is no wind. farmess is good , but everyone got a bit ill there one week ( many years ago must point out and no fault of the club, bad water) but turkey has the wind so it is prob fave.

the kit is first rate, all of it. the staff are helpful and knowleadgable. just don't go drinking with them unless you intend to stay up very late and get very drunk. i forget i am no longer 20 and wake up feeling bad.

it has lost its small club feel as it has got bigger and bigger and that in a way is a shame but in a way is good, as more people are introduced to the sport maybe tv will start giving it more coverage.

Quite a few friends have gone from flot crew to taking their own boats and flotilla got me back into sailing yachts.

mark warner also have sailing stuff as do neilson, cannot comment as have not been.

sunsail get a knock here. often in fact mostly with good reason but that is down to their solent fleet mainly. the beach clubs are a great holiday for familys or couples with a hyperactive other half. i have no relation with suinsail just like the beach club product.

Come on brain.get this over and i can go back to killing you with beer

ecudc

Visit site
I've been on both Mark Warner and Neilson holidays. Both were excellent with a good selection of boats and good tuition.

Mark Warner has a lots of variety in what you can do on and off the water but can be a little holiday campy. They also offer lots of baby/child/teenager sitting clubs. Food as far as I can remember is full board and reasonably good.

Neilson focus on sailing (dingy and yachts), windsurfing, cycle and dive. I've just come back from their villa/flotilla in Croatia and had a great time. I think they are also a little cheaper than MW and Sunsail but don't hold me too it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ecudc on 06/11/2002 12:07 (server time).</FONT></P>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
how much out of interest? and when

was told to go to croatia five years ago before the flots got there
have not managed it

i would be looking for villa/bareboat as flot a bit short hoppish for me

pm me

bedouin

Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend Neilson - and their "Sun, Surf, Sail, Cycle" type holidays. We took one recently because SWMBO wanted to be able to do things other than just sailing. Plenty of kit to go round, and all excellently well maintained.

Sunsail also do very similar holidays, but comparing like with like, IIRC Sunsail had the disadvantages of (a) being Half Board (so no eating out at local restaurants) and (b) charging for tuition.

Pete_k

Visit site
Re: Holiday with sailing in mind, a bit more info

Our problem is that we have a business in uk that is tourism dependant so we cannot get away for a holiday until the kids are on their October half term break (we went a bit early this year) this means that the med is usually closed as far as chartering is concerned, we have studied the Sunsail option the only one being their base in BVI which does the week at the club and a week on flotilla this works out very pricey as with some tour companies our eldest rates as an adult, he didn't this time but will for sure with all tour operators next year (he's 12) that can make quite a difference to the holiday budget!!
We do get to sail quite a bit in the summer on our own boat so although I would go for a full two week charter the rest of the family still need a lot of convincing.
The main problem as I've said stems from not being able to go during 'the season' so to get warm sunshine and water we have to look at longhaul destinations, there must be companies other than Sunsail (with their inflated prices) out there doing a similar sort of thing.

bedouin

Visit site

Turkey is a possible destination for half term. We were there a couple of weeks ago (the week before most English schools have half term) and the weather was very good - apart from the winds being a bit less reliable than they are in the height of summer. You can Villa/Flotilla there with Neilson as well as Sunsail.

If you are looking for a package deal, then Sunsail are pretty well as cheap as anyone. If you are prepared to do a bit more work you could build your own hotel/chartering holiday almost anywhere.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

i would sooner be in turkey than BVI s as that is hurricane season as far as i know. Is in antigua at least.

Turkey can be beautiful in october. you can be unlucky and it rains but never all week. it still beats the solent in october ( for a week )
cyprus last weekend was 26 degs and sunny.

as bedouin says you can build your own holiday. it can work out alot cheaper. pm me for mor info or do a search on i think it was charter or greece for ideas.
donot write europe off. i have done a 4 days in scotland in oct and that was lovely.

ecudc

Visit site
1400 ish (for 2 people - PPP would go down if you have more on the yacht) for 2 weeks in October. Half board for the 1st week (Choose lunch or dinner) in a pretty decent hotel on the beautiful island of Mljet. Two sharing a Moody 31 xl or S31 (I can't remember) on the second week. We got a free upgrade on that as it was late in the season.
The boats (looking at the others in Dubrovnik marina) aren't as new or as fancy as the Sunsail ones (no in mast reefing etc) but fine to sail and really easy for only 2 people.
Croatia was absolutely amazing. Almost completely unspoilt. I imagine it is what the Ionians were like 30 years ago. I've only seen about 3 or 4 companies that do flotilla and I don't think that the companies have that many flotillas going at any one time. Our flotilla was just 3 boats, as it was the last week. There are also so many islands and such a long coast line that you are unlikely to have a huge problem if you want to avoid the flotillas. Channel 6 and 7 (Neilson and Sunsail) may give you an idea of where they are.
The weather was fine in October. We had some rain and the flotilla on the week before was storm bound for 2 days, but we had no real problems (except for one force 6 but they shepherded us through it with only a broken table to report) and I think the whole of Europe has been suffering from odd weather this year.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
that is good value
i like the moody 31
when i saw them at LBS they said it was to be brand new kit
with windlasses on all yachts
i'd sooner that than in mast ( i hate in mast reefing )

G

As mentioned, Mark Warner are another option: no yachts but plenty of dinghies (mostly Lasers/Picos, Hobie/Dart, Wayfarer) & sailboards. No charges, well maintained etc. "All inclusive" package generally, tho' watch the bar prices. Other beach/water activities inc (free) waterskiing, aquarobics, tennis (coaching extra), mountain biking, scuba diving often (cost). Strength is in childcare, esp for the very young (few rivals) but also for teenagers who relish the quasi-independence (?) and group tribalism with iconic leaders only a few years older than them. Not cheap tho' - but better at season ends that perhaps you are limited to.