HELP - Which Hamble marina

rafiki_

Visit site
I'll show Anthoney Foulkes your comment, I can tell you I've been berthed in a few marinas in my time.
I'm berthed here because I was fed up with the major players running there marinas for the share holders and nothing more.
This yard is a family owned yard where nothing is too much trouble, it's safe and friendly, if you want something you just ask and it's done .
No phone calls on hold or unanswered emails sat in somebodies in box that has left the company but the directors forget to forward it to someone who actually works there. You speak to the man and get an answer straight away.
No contractors fees or parking charges , no red tape, no blame for something you might have put in there waste bin that you shouldn't have done, need I go on.
Paul, clearly it is working for you, and fits. We had a look around at Eastlands, Foulkes, The Cabin. I couldn't find anywhere to park at Foulkes to have a proper look around, but there seemed to be so much stuff lying around, it didn't feel right to us.

Carianne

Visit site
We are at Eastlands and do not have any issues. The motorway noise reduces the further you are up the pontoon. As for the trip out of the river, I enjoy watching the world go by:) doesn't seem tedious at all to me.

maby

Visit site
You beat me to it, re Brighton

Premier is like a restaurant chain, it's all OK, not much of it is great, and it all costs more than it should, but wait, I can hear the tap tap on a key board from here as someone runs to defend their precious Marina

Well, they all cost more than they should really! £10k per annum for a hole in the water and a couple of hooks to tie ropes to???

Sailorsam101

Visit site
There are much cheaper around..but...if you want a nice car park...nice pontoons...power on each berth and water to your boat you will pay a lot of money in the solent.

I'm in the Solent and pay 1/3 of that for a 36ft boat...deep water mooring as well.

drh2

Visit site
I'll show Anthoney Foulkes your comment, I can tell you I've been berthed in a few marinas in my time.
I'm berthed here because I was fed up with the major players running there marinas for the share holders and nothing more.
This yard is a family owned yard where nothing is too much trouble, it's safe and friendly, if you want something you just ask and it's done .
No phone calls on hold or unanswered emails sat in somebodies in box that has left the company but the directors forget to forward it to someone who actually works there. You speak to the man and get an answer straight away.
No contractors fees or parking charges , no red tape, no blame for something you might have put in there waste bin that you shouldn't have done, need I go on.

Totally agree with Paul's comment on the philosophy of extortion by the major players. We thought we'd found the ideal home for the boat after trying most of them only to be stiffed by an almost £1200 increase for the coming season. As has been said many times by many people - we are not all millionaires because we own a boat & the perpetual rise in the face of financial tightening just makes a pleasure a pain ultimately because marina groups do bugger all to recognise loyal customers and consider the sacrifices we make to keep boating. Maybe there will be a point where greed succeeds customers to fleece! So all credit and respect to people like Anthoney Foulkes who work to make it affordable. I don't know the guy or have any connection b.t.w - I just appreciate not being mugged by businesses because I own a boat & that includes many (not all) yard services.

maby

Visit site
There are much cheaper around..but...if you want a nice car park...nice pontoons...power on each berth and water to your boat you will pay a lot of money in the solent.

I'm in the Solent and pay 1/3 of that for a 36ft boat...deep water mooring as well.

This is meant to be fun - I don't want to slum it! I do want somewhere safe to park my car, close to the boat, and I expect to be able to walk to the boat without worrying about tripping over. I'm also too old and grey to go lugging jerry cans of fresh water to the boat.

Jamesuk

Visit site
For sure go with Hamble Yacht Services Berth. TEL: 02380454111.

Speak to Kay or Alex, Really friendly and they have HYSRR on hand to help you with any problems you may have. It is also an open yard too so very flexible if you need Hudson Marine to come and do the electronics installations or Osmotech to give you another bow thruster :)

Angele

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and feedback. My new boat is now safely nestled in her new berth in Port Hamble. The thing that swung it was the Freedom berthing element. Since this is our first season it will give us some flexibility to go and explore and if it gets too noisy then I'm sure we could move up to Mercury. So thanks for your insight once again. This forum has been invaluable to me over the past twelve months while I've been looking. Despite running in thick fog for most of the delivery trip today, which was a little nerve racking but good experience, I have a massive smile on my face this evening. Long may it continue!

As a raggie, I don't venture in here very often. Hence being somewhat too late to give you my views, as someone who has berthed at Port Hamble for the last 12 years.

Unlike Hamble Point, Port Hamble (and Swanwick too) is usually pretty sheltered. I was on board when Storm Katie came through and that wasn't fun, though.

The marina hasn't had a great amount of investment of late (southern car park re-tarmaced that is all), and by Solent standards the showers are only average, but the staff are friendly and, best of all, it is only a 5 minute walk into the village for a great selection of pubs and restaurants.

I hope you will enjoy it there. I'm on F. Boat name as per my Forum name. Pop over for a beer if I'm around to say "Hi".

maby

Visit site
Universal just down river from Swanwick seems to be have been missed off the list of suitable marinas on the Hamble.
The marina is clean, well organised, and it's an independent marina.

They don't seem to be noticeably cheaper than MDL and you do not have the benefit of the MDL freedom berthing package giving you access to many other marinas on both sides of the channel.

Step1

Visit site
Excellent but only a flying visit. Got a nice first run to both ends of the Solent and berthed at first attempt which I was happy with. Also got to try the onsite Chandlery out as my five year old decided to test whether the gas canister worked in one of the new life jackets!!