Help needed rigging a Coastal Weekender (Whammel)

UMCorps

Visit site
I'm fairly sure most of the difficulties are related to the lazyjacks.

There are two cleats on either side of the boom, mounted slightly above its centreline. If its the same as the PB, at least one of them will have a bullseye fairlead fixed at a 45% angle somewhere behind it. These are the cleats for the lazyjacks. (The ones below the centre of the boom are for the slab reefing)

On the PB, I secure the starboard side lazy jack first because there is no bullseye fairlead on that side.

On the port side, I thread the lazy jack line through the bullseye fairlead and take it up to a small block held on the line by a small loop. I then take that down to the cleat, put it round half a turn and then haul up until the boom is at a good height.

The first time I do it I sometimes need to juggle around a bit to get the distribution of the line roughly equal between the two cleats but, once that's done the line stays on the starboard cleat for the rest of the season and I just use the port side to raise and drop the boom as needed.

I don't bother with lacing the luff. Martin at Character Boats was of the view that it was purely cosmetic on these boats. As long as you've got the downhaul properly tight its fine. And with the luff free its a lot easier to get the sail down in a hurry.

And, yes, that jib needs to be tightened up until the forestay is just beginning to slacken.

If I can, I'll get to my boat tomorrow and take a few shots of the rig. But I might have to wait a bit for the weather to settle. Its a bit too lumpy out there for my little tender today.

Envoy72

Visit site
I'm fairly sure most of the difficulties are related to the lazyjacks.

There are two cleats on either side of the boom, mounted slightly above its centreline. If its the same as the PB, at least one of them will have a bullseye fairlead fixed at a 45% angle somewhere behind it. These are the cleats for the lazyjacks. (The ones below the centre of the boom are for the slab reefing)

On the PB, I secure the starboard side lazy jack first because there is no bullseye fairlead on that side.

On the port side, I thread the lazy jack line through the bullseye fairlead and take it up to a small block held on the line by a small loop. I then take that down to the cleat, put it round half a turn and then haul up until the boom is at a good height.

The first time I do it I sometimes need to juggle around a bit to get the distribution of the line roughly equal between the two cleats but, once that's done the line stays on the starboard cleat for the rest of the season and I just use the port side to raise and drop the boom as needed.

I don't bother with lacing the luff. Martin at Character Boats was of the view that it was purely cosmetic on these boats. As long as you've got the downhaul properly tight its fine. And with the luff free its a lot easier to get the sail down in a hurry.

And, yes, that jib needs to be tightened up until the forestay is just beginning to slacken.

If I can, I'll get to my boat tomorrow and take a few shots of the rig. But I might have to wait a bit for the weather to settle. Its a bit too lumpy out there for my little tender today.

Thanks very much, this is very helpful. It has given me a clear steer. Once I can get to my boat again, later today or tomorrow morning I will follow your steps above.

Glisferox

Visit site
As an addition it is worth buying John Leather's Gaff Rig Handbook and possibly Tom Cunliffe's Hand Reef and Steer. They help enormously, explaining the many flavours of gaff rig and variations of set up you may encounter.

prv

Visit site
As an addition it is worth buying John Leather's Gaff Rig Handbook and possibly Tom Cunliffe's Hand Reef and Steer. They help enormously, explaining the many flavours of gaff rig and variations of set up you may encounter.

Definitely agree with Hand, Reef, and Steer, a practical guide to setting up and using gaff rig for those accustomed to modern boats only. However, I bought Gaff Rig Handbook on a similar recommendation and found it interesting but not especially useful. It's mostly a historical review of the various types of boats that have used the rig around the country and the world, not a how-to guide.

Pete

gjgm

Visit site
I have the original rigging instructions if you are still stuck. PM me with your email address if you need them.